Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Southern/Southeastern U.S. City Skyline is the Best?
Atlanta 217 30.22%
Charlotte 43 5.99%
Nashville 21 2.92%
Louisville 15 2.09%
Dallas 69 9.61%
Houston 168 23.40%
Richmond 23 3.20%
Winston-Salem 4 0.56%
Jacksonville 8 1.11%
Tampa 9 1.25%
Miami 133 18.52%
Orlando 8 1.11%
Voters: 718. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 03:46 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Oh. Duh, lol.
I always get confused where the World Congress Center, the CNN Center, and Philips Arena begin and end!

Old 10-04-2007, 04:02 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
I always get confused where the World Congress Center, the CNN Center, and Philips Arena begin and end!
Yeah. I don't know what any of those things are.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:50 AM

82 posts, read 639,321 times
Smile Best Southern Skyline

:Every skyline has it's own merits to it and is beautiful in it's own ways. Skylines are what make the city beautiful and show the city's soul and heart. The skyline is unique because every one is different making every one special. I Love the skyline of Louisville because it is beautiful shining on the water. Miami's is also beautiful at sunset. But I think all skylines on the water are breathtaking at sunset.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:42 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
From another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline887 View Post
is this thread a joke? i can't believe someone even ask this questions.The other cities in the midwest don't even have what i consdier a skyline. This is an insult to chicago.
Is this thread a joke? I can't believe someone even asks these questions. The other cities in the South don't even have what I consider a skyline. This is an insult to Houston!

Old 12-03-2007, 09:14 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Although I live in Atlanta, I'll have to say that Houston's skyline tops it. Atlanta's buildings are more unique and individual to me, but the skyline is very spread along the Midtown-Downtown line. However, just for the creativity of the buildings here, it's a close second in my book. One of my favorite views of the skyline is from the (gasp) Suburbs from the Parkway Point Shopping Center. If you look out from the second level of the Borders Bookstore, there is a GREAT view of Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead.

On the other hand, Houston's skyline is very dense and modern looking, even though many of the skyscrapers were built over 20 years ago. My favorite tower is the Bank Of America Tower with the Post Modern Dutch influences. The Texaco Heritage plaza with the Mayan Temple influence is a close second. The Wells Fargo Tower is very sleek looking as well.

Miami would come in a close third just for all the density that is being created.

Charlotte's skyline is beautiful too.

Dallas' skyline was built up around the same time as Houston's, but there is something so cheesy about it. The Bank of America Tower in Dallas is nice, but I think the Green Argon (NOT Neon!) lighting makes it very tacky. And the Renaissance Tower with the X's (aka the "JR Ewing Building) is ugly to me. But I like Comerica Bank Tower, the JP Morgan Chase Tower, Fountain Place and the Reunion Tower. But for some reason, their skyline doesn't do it for me...

But to each their own. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:26 PM

655 posts, read 2,182,973 times
Miami, hands down.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:35 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
I haven't been to Miami in years but it seems as though their skyline is looking really nice from the water angle. So, I vote Miami.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:52 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Somebody I know who went to Wake Forest always used that nickname. I'm not sure how common or widespread the nick is down there.
Crime problems? Can't imagine DDP running down there.

Probably the KKK...

Old 12-05-2007, 03:45 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times
Dallas
although it is a home plate bias , i like the neon green BOA plaza, and the Fountain palace, and the Reunion tower.
Atlants hasn't hit me with such a stunning skyline, I thought this would be another Dallas Vs Houston thing, + Miami. Dallas is being stped on , oh well... if you look up Best Skylines in google, Dallas is usually above everyone else except Houston and somtimes Miami.
But if it wasn't for my city i would go with Miami, who cares for height, think of it this way. Miami is a buffet, Houston and Dallas are casual resturants. I would go with Miami for quanity over quality.
How does Houston not look urban? it looks like any other city to me, if anything Atlanta doesn't look urban because its all covered in trees. I've been to Atlanta I have family there, they have a better tousit industry then Dallas and Houston but Skyline would deffinetly go to those 2 in my opinion. Why is Fort Worth on here? it has a decent skyline. I wouldn't consider Texas southern, Western, or Midwestern. IT a mixture of all of it. I mean our food is different, and they way we talk, and our demographics have changed and we are now more racially diverse then any of the other southern states.
you watch... Texas is going to be the next california, thats both good and bad...

Old 12-05-2007, 05:38 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Default some Miami pics to enjoy!

first is from a cruise ship at the Port of Miami:

next is looking north from a boat on Biscayne Bay:

and now looking south from Biscayne Bay ( notice the construction cranes):

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City