Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 06:42 PM

388 posts, read 849,150 times

Advertisements

Where would it be?

I have a unique opportunity of getting out of the military and really moving anywhere I choose.

Those of you with jobs that moved you somewhere away from home...if jobs and income weren't an issue, where would you move to and why? Would you live back "home" or would you follow the trends to the south. Maybe you'd try one of the older "rust belt" cities, or living alone in the mountains of Colorado?

Myself, if right now I could pick one spot to move, based on my research and if it weren't so far away from family I would go with Frisco, tx.

I love the minor league sports scene there, and the fact that it's a smaller town next to world class attractions in Dallas. I've also always found the homes to be very beautiful in Texas.

So how about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 06:58 PM

654 posts, read 1,910,150 times
Wow. People are so different. I seems so weird to me that someone who could live anywhere would dream of "small town" life in a Dallas suburb of 100,000.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:01 PM

57 posts, read 120,431 times
I am a military man myself. Not too long left on my contract, and I've already begun my research on where I want to continue my life after I am done. I have my bachelor's already, but want to pursue a masters when I get out.

After many scrupulous hours spent researching, I've come to the conclusion that I would choose Seattle. I had a chance to visit last year, and fell in love. Mild temperatures, laid-back atmosphere, and stunning natural setting has me won over.

I grew up in Atlanta and Tampa. Went to school in Austin, TX and now I live in DC. Atlanta will always be "home". Tampa is a fond memory, and I LOVED having the beach so close. Hated the fact I never got to bundle up in the winter though. Austin is very cool and very worthy of being a top pick for me. Unfortunately it gets too hot for my tastes. DC is a world-class city, but it is too much hustle and bustle for me. I live a lot slower than this city operates.

So, Seattle works for me. It offers great mild temps all year long. The rain will be an adjustment, but I crave the laid-back, coffe house lifestyle. Plus, Seattle has UW, SPU, and SU. Three great universities.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:13 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Overall, San Francisco. If I could have some sort of job/lifestyle that would allow me to move freely between San Francisco and Los Angeles, that'd be it I'm workin' on it...

Old 07-31-2011, 07:13 PM

443 posts, read 1,346,320 times
Hands down, Telluride Colorado

Old 07-31-2011, 07:29 PM

336 posts, read 575,344 times
Seattle.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:07 PM

136 posts, read 255,805 times
If I could live anywhere beside Atlanta......Tampa or Washington D.C. I think D.C and its suburbs are a lot like Atlanta so the transition would not be to bad. As far as Tampa, I just love the weather, Busch Gardens and the proximity to beaches, Orlando and Miami.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:57 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Taos, New Mexico

Old 07-31-2011, 10:54 PM

4 posts, read 15,554 times
Phoenix

Old 08-01-2011, 03:47 PM

230 posts, read 408,949 times
Good thread, could folks add the "why"? I would pick HI if money were no object.. consistent warm beautiful weather, plenty of outdoor opportunities...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City