Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:53 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,027 times

Advertisements

The 10 Best Cities for Families on Shine (http://shine.yahoo.com/event/summertravel/the-10-best-cities-for-families-2498408/?posted=1#postcomment - broken link)

Washington, D.C. has great suburban school districts and a tremendous array of arts, culture, parks, and opportunities for kids to enjoy. However, probably the best areas to raise a family would be in the Virginia suburbs and outer Maryland suburbs. Not sure that I agree with its #1 rank.

Boston and Austin make sense. Safe cities (except parts of South Boston and East Austin, respectively), great suburban school districts and many great areas within those cities (including Cambridge w/in Boston) in which to raise families.

Omaha has a high crime rate. So does Louisville's inner city area. I've lived in Louisville previously; away from a few neighborhoods, it's pretty insipid. I know I wouldn't raise a family there.

Minneapolis, Madison and Des Moines also make sense, although I don't think I would enjoy living in such a cold climate as those are in Midwestern states known for having educational quality higher than much of the nation. Much lower crime rates than many other American cities, too, as well as (as I understand it) more of a sense of community that is in the Midwest and that isn't found as often in the South and on the West Coast.

Of this list, my top two picks given all of the urban and metropolitan offerings, natural beauty and weather would be Austin and Seattle. Yes, yes, Austin has scorching summers, but think about its winters.

I know this is an unscientific list and that you've just wasted 20 seconds skimming through my ramble. But what are your thoughts about this list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 05:19 PM

191 posts, read 214,991 times
Hotdamn! I was expecting seatle to be on there.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:55 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
The 10 Best Cities for Families on Shine (http://shine.yahoo.com/event/summertravel/the-10-best-cities-for-families-2498408/?posted=1#postcomment - broken link)

Washington, D.C. has great suburban school districts and a tremendous array of arts, culture, parks, and opportunities for kids to enjoy. However, probably the best areas to raise a family would be in the Virginia suburbs and outer Maryland suburbs. Not sure that I agree with its #1 rank.
This ranking does not include suburbs as Arlington, VA is ranked separately at 71st.
Best Cities to Live In - Top Places to Raise a Family - Parenting.com

Also, reading the description from the link, there is no mention to suburbs but rather the charms of the district itself. Specifically about schools, the article implies that a child will get an 'amazing' education in this city.

Quote from Link:
The history, the government, the breathtaking architecture and inspiring monuments—you don't have to be a child to get an amazing education in this city.

Could someone with better knowledge on Washington DCs public schools give us more info on public schools districtwide. Are they as 'amazing' as this article says? I don't know.

Im not trying to down DC in any way because I happen to be a fan of raising kids in a more urban environment, at least semi-urban, as opposed to totally sheltered suburbia-Im not into that.

But the reasoning is so vague(like every other non-statistic based ranking) that sometimes I wish people would just weigh tangible, quantifable facts first and then include things that I consider to be fluff-second.

Last edited by 18Montclair; 06-21-2011 at 07:08 PM..

Old 06-22-2011, 08:16 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,156,819 times
DC's public schools are bad but they are rebounding. Michele Rhee (married to ex Phoenix Suns point guard and mayor of Sacramento Kevin Johnson) came in and shook things up. A lot of DC kids attend charter schools.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:59 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,782,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This ranking does not include suburbs as Arlington, VA is ranked separately at 71st.
Best Cities to Live In - Top Places to Raise a Family - Parenting.com

Also, reading the description from the link, there is no mention to suburbs but rather the charms of the district itself. Specifically about schools, the article implies that a child will get an 'amazing' education in this city.

Quote from Link:
The history, the government, the breathtaking architecture and inspiring monuments—you don't have to be a child to get an amazing education in this city.

Could someone with better knowledge on Washington DCs public schools give us more info on public schools districtwide. Are they as 'amazing' as this article says? I don't know.

Im not trying to down DC in any way because I happen to be a fan of raising kids in a more urban environment, at least semi-urban, as opposed to totally sheltered suburbia-Im not into that.

But the reasoning is so vague(like every other non-statistic based ranking) that sometimes I wish people would just weigh tangible, quantifable facts first and then include things that I consider to be fluff-second.

The quote you gave does not indicate the article is implying DC schools are amazing. They are just noting you don't have to be a child (children are usually the ones who need an education) to get an amazing education. Not that hard to comprehend.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:07 AM

93,246 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Omaha has a high crime rate? I think it has gone down and that could be due to strong population growth, as well as annexation.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:19 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
The quote you gave does not indicate the article is implying DC schools are amazing. They are just noting you don't have to be a child (children are usually the ones who need an education) to get an amazing education.
No, it insinuates that not only do children in DC get an amazing education but through DCs cultural and historic offerings, so can adults-which is true for adults but this statement leaves on wondering about DCs schools and just how 'amazing' they are? Not saying they arent, just looking for evidence.

Quote:
Not that hard to comprehend.
Indeed.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:38 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DC's public schools are bad but they are rebounding. Michele Rhee (married to ex Phoenix Suns point guard and mayor of Sacramento Kevin Johnson) came in and shook things up. A lot of DC kids attend charter schools.
Agreed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, it insinuates that not only do children in DC get an amazing education but through DCs cultural and historic offerings, so can adults-which is true for adults but this statement leaves on wondering about DCs schools and just how 'amazing' they are? Not saying they arent, just looking for evidence.
Also agreed

Old 06-24-2011, 08:42 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,156,819 times
Believe it or not, DC spends more money per pupil than any other city or jurisdiction in the U.S. In the past, this has translated to high administration salaries and overhead, which resulted in neglected facilities and programs. Mayor Fenty came in and rededicated money to fixing the schools and funding programs. He also launched an initiative to rehab all of the city's public libraries.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:19 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,857,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Boston and Austin make sense. Safe cities (except parts of South Boston and East Austin, respectively), great suburban school districts and many great areas within those cities (including Cambridge w/in Boston) in which to raise families.
Definitely agree with this. My family moved to Cambridge in my teens so my dad could get his doctorate at Harvard, and the quality of education there is tough to beat.

The other thing that is tougher to quantify is the culture of academia in Boston/Cambridge, and also in other outlying areas including (but by no means limited to) Belmont, Lexington, Concord, Newton, etc. That whole "it takes a village to raise a child" thing.

The quality of the education we got at public schools there was about on par with what we got at private schools back on the West Coast. Lots of field trips... ample resources... good times.

Furthermore, if you are unfortunate enough to have a teenaged male who gets into trouble (fights, drinking, truancy, etc) as my parents were... the general attitude isn't anywhere near as punitive and litigious as it is out this way. Stuff that would have just got you called to the principal's office and a two-day suspension back there would have gotten you sent to jail here.

Even though I love it out here and will most likely stay in the SF/LA/OC areas for the rest of my life... it's very tempting to think of moving back out east to raise a family, I will say that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City