Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 11:51 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,362,620 times

Advertisements

I could see how Jacksonville might have a few similarities. Here are some street views:

New Orleans:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=New+O...2,31.5,,0,9.03

Jacksonville:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Jacks...222.15,,0,3.32
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 01:23 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,083,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
I could see how Jacksonville might have a few similarities. Here are some street views:

New Orleans:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=New+O...2,31.5,,0,9.03

Jacksonville:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Jacks...222.15,,0,3.32
The Street Views are very interesting. I live in New Orleans and Jax is my wife and I's favorite "restoration getaway", but I've never seen architecture like that there. We have our personal reasons for loving Jacksonville, but the city itself always seemed very bland, sprawled, and character-less.

Last edited by Chilly Gentilly; 03-14-2014 at 02:08 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 01:53 PM

639 posts, read 820,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Between the two, I grew up in Jax and would take NOLA any day. Jax does have the beaches and better car access to other cities worth visiting, though.

I hope this appeases all the NOLA folks.

LOL.... Your something else.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:38 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
The Street Views are very interesting. I live in New Orleans and Jax is my wife and I's favorite "restoration getaway", but I've never seen architecture like that there. We have our personal reasons for loving Jacksonville, but the city itself always seemed very bland, sprawled, and character-less.
Apparently you've never been to Riverside, San Marco, or Avondale. Springfield is the city view that the above poster linked to on Street View (a yet to be gentrified neighborhood that has lost much of its building stock but definitely has some NOLA looking building stock).

Compared to NOLA and most large cities, Jax is bland, sprawled, and character-less. But I can't believe you know the city at all if you think the whole city is that way. The city had 200,000 people pre-war in 30.2 sq. mi. to NOLA's 500,000 in a larger square mileage, so it's not like Jax didn't exist back then. It was actually built out to a density of nearly 7,000 ppsm. If you want an informative site filled with pics and graphics and a whole forum, see below (I linked to a particular discussion on Jax City Limits over the decades):

The Plight of the Urban Core | Metro Jacksonville

I don't know where your wife's family lives, however, I grew up in a streetcar suburb in a beautiful pre-war house in a neighborhood with commercial strips filled with restaurants, bars, and shops. Not characteristic for most of Duval County's now 900,000 mostly suburban people, but a way of life for ~150,000 people living in older neighborhoods along the river. Downtown sucks, I'll give anyone that. However, a long time ago before the whole place was demolished in the name of urban renewal it used to be quite vibrant and dense.

You'll find more examples of the kind of architecture you see in NOLA consistently throughout that city in various random spots in the older parts of Jax, and certainly around St. Augie and up into Fernandina than you will almost anywhere else in this country (save for Mobile and Pensacola). I'd venture so far to say as there is a neighborhood near Ybor City in Tampa that has a pretty similar look and feel, architecturally. Of course you'll also get the live oaks and spanish moss in Jax, so combined with the occasional "NOLA-looking" building and the place probably looks much more similar than different to folks visiting from the NE, Upper Midwest, or out west.

You must be driving in I-10 --> I-95 --> JTB --> Gate Parkway, with occasional trips to the beach (and even there Ragtime's in Atlantic Beach looks kinda like NOLA and features cajun food and seafood along with live jazz music. It's an old staple in an old building. Link below, but if you're doing Jax as I describe above, yes, you are only seeing new stucco apartment buildings, malls, suburban office buildings, and beach look.

RAGTIME - restaurants

Don't tell me I didn't warn you if you go and are disappointed by the food, it was never a favorite of mine, but AB is quite cute (my favorite beach in the area...it's walkable and has a typically New England look to it with all the old cedar shake shingle houses and buildings).

Old 03-14-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Apparently you've never been to Riverside, San Marco, or Avondale. Springfield is the city view that the above poster linked to on Street View (a yet to be gentrified neighborhood that has lost much of its building stock but definitely has some NOLA looking building stock).

Compared to NOLA and most large cities, Jax is bland, sprawled, and character-less. But I can't believe you know the city at all if you think the whole city is that way. The city had 200,000 people pre-war in 30.2 sq. mi. to NOLA's 500,000 in a larger square mileage, so it's not like Jax didn't exist back then. It was actually built out to a density of nearly 7,000 ppsm. If you want an informative site filled with pics and graphics and a whole forum, see below (I linked to a particular discussion on Jax City Limits over the decades):

The Plight of the Urban Core | Metro Jacksonville

I don't know where your wife's family lives, however, I grew up in a streetcar suburb in a beautiful pre-war house in a neighborhood with commercial strips filled with restaurants, bars, and shops. Not characteristic for most of Duval County's now 900,000 mostly suburban people, but a way of life for ~150,000 people living in older neighborhoods along the river. Downtown sucks, I'll give anyone that. However, a long time ago before the whole place was demolished in the name of urban renewal it used to be quite vibrant and dense.

You'll find more examples of the kind of architecture you see in NOLA consistently throughout that city in various random spots in the older parts of Jax, and certainly around St. Augie and up into Fernandina than you will almost anywhere else in this country (save for Mobile and Pensacola). I'd venture so far to say as there is a neighborhood near Ybor City in Tampa that has a pretty similar look and feel, architecturally. Of course you'll also get the live oaks and spanish moss in Jax, so combined with the occasional "NOLA-looking" building and the place probably looks much more similar than different to folks visiting from the NE, Upper Midwest, or out west.

You must be driving in I-10 --> I-95 --> JTB --> Gate Parkway, with occasional trips to the beach (and even there Ragtime's in Atlantic Beach looks kinda like NOLA and features cajun food and seafood along with live jazz music. It's an old staple in an old building. Link below, but if you're doing Jax as I describe above, yes, you are only seeing new stucco apartment buildings, malls, suburban office buildings, and beach look.

RAGTIME - restaurants

Don't tell me I didn't warn you if you go and are disappointed by the food, it was never a favorite of mine, but AB is quite cute (my favorite beach in the area...it's walkable and has a typically New England look to it with all the old cedar shake shingle houses and buildings).
Yea I can't say that we've ventured all around Jacksonville. We typically go to our usual spots. We'll stay at the Four Seasons, then eat at Metro Diner(one of the few places in Jax with good food)...we might go to the mall, but then its off to the beach. We've been to Ragtime and Ray Dog's in AB, but as you mentioned...the food SUCKS! I also can't agree that Ragtime is in anyway reminiscent of New Orleans. Beautiful beaches though!

Even Jacksonville Landing right Downtown, which we looked forward to our visit, is really....slow.

To see any architectural similarities, we would have had to venture into actual neighborhoods, which now that I think about it, I can't say that we did...except for Orange Park(?) We also ran into a nice residential area not far from Ponte Vedra Beach, but those were all modern homes.

Jacksonville has the most landmass of any city in the country, so with that comes a lot of sprawl. Also, I'm a foodie, so I was surprised at the lack of really good seafood restaurants for a city right on the coast. We went to Benny's at the Landing and I was astonished at how horrible the Seafood Platter was...I mean hell, its just a plate of fried shrimp and fish...the crab cakes were ok. There was one restaurant, the Pier, which was phenomenal!

Old 03-14-2014, 03:10 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,362,620 times
Quote:
A lot of Jacksonville's character can be seen in its core neighborhoods. But that neighborhood of Jacksonville is the only one I found that might have a few similarities to NOLA. Here are some other views from that same neighborhood:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Jacks...189.54,,0,9.79

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Jacks...,66.41,,0,7.92

Obviously, the area is still in the process of gentrification, but it's a future top spot for Jacksonville, especially those looking for a more urban environment. I will also say that Jacksonville doesn't come close to having the extensive urbanity and character seen in NOLA. A lot of Jacksonville is pretty sprawled in comparison.

But it sucks to know that a few of Florida's cities had the potential of having a similar urban layout and vibe as NOLA. The only city in Florida that comes close to NOLA is Key West (which I think is the only town in the U.S. that has a similar vibe to NOLA.) Key West is proof that cities like Jacksonville and Tampa could've pulled off similar characteristics (with a Florida twist, of course).

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Key+W...,45.72,,0,7.15

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Key+W...04.65,,0,10.81

Old 03-14-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Yea I can't say that we've ventured all around Jacksonville. We typically go to our usual spots. We'll stay at the Four Seasons There is no Four Seasons in Jax., then eat at Metro Diner(one of the few places in Jax with good food...wha?? not really and they've been known to steal credit card information! )...we might go to the mall, but then its off to the beach. We've been to Ragtime and Ray Dog's in AB, but as you mentioned...the food SUCKS! I also can't agree that Ragtime is in anyway reminiscent of New Orleans Wish I had a pic, but I've seen plenty of buildings that look like that in NOLA. Red brick with those old columns and that saloon look...if it had a 2nd/3rd floor and wrought iron columns with plants hanging from the eaves, you wouldn't say it doesn't belong on Bourbon St. Anyway, when I think of buildings that in Jax that remind me of the Gulf Coast French colonial look, I never think of Ragtime's. A good pic of it is at this link: Ragtime Tavern celebrates 30th anniversary | members.jacksonville.com.

Even Jacksonville Landing right Downtown, which we looked forward to our visit, is really....slow. This is no shocker to any native here. The Landing was one of those urban revitilization tricks of the 80s that we are living with today. Rouse planted dozens of those things in cities across this country, and only a few took off...like in Baltimore's Harbor.

To see any architectural similarities, we would have had to venture into actual neighborhoods, which now that I think about it, I can't say that we did...except for Orange Park(?) eww...that's Clay County, not even Duval We also ran into a nice residential area not far from Ponte Vedra Beach, but those were all modern homes. Ponte Vedra is definitely something that puts Jax on the map and something NOLA doesn't have. I grew up going there as many of my neighbors had beach houses there, lots of northerners we know keep houses there, and we were members of the Inn & Club, which also has a AAA 5 diamond hotel component. PVB is where basically both tennis and golf are HQ'd, and it's a very very nice area incomparable to any on the Gulf Coast save SW FL.

Jacksonville has the most landmass of any city in the country, so with that comes a lot of sprawl Yes, the city is sprawled. But I still find that quote misleading. Of Duval County's 774 sq mi, maybe half of that is even developed. Driving from downtown to the beach is really no different from driving in East NOLA over through Kenner on the other side. Jax is also physically separated by a very wide large river, so the western hoods (most of the older ones) vs the southside functions almost similarly to SF vs East Bay out here.

Also, I'm a foodie, so I was surprised at the lack of really good seafood restaurants for a city right on the coast. We went to Benny's at the Landing and I was astonished at how horrible the Seafood Platter was...I mean hell, its just a plate of fried shrimp and fish...the crab cakes were ok. There was one restaurant, the Pier, which was phenomenal! This is where I find it hard to believe you. Jax is no foodie paradise, but it's one of the easiest places in the country to find good fresh seafood cooked really well. PM me if you want, because I definitely know all the spots. Jax has a whole shrimping industry just like NOLA and even all the local groceries carry fresh caught that day Mayport Shrimp. Also, game fish. Big fishing industry there. AB has some of the best seafood caught offshore that day in a restaurant literally next door to Ragtime's mentioned above. Kind of hole in the wall, but literally some of the best seafood you'll ever be able to find anywhere. Now Dover Sole, my favorite fish, is not a popular seafood anywhere in FL or the Gulf Coast. So again, with seafood it depends. You chose some *really odd* seafood places to try out, and you tell me that Metro Diner is good. So I'm questioning your foodie knowledge of the area. It's no Charleston or NOLA, but a little research will point you to where you need to go if you really are a foodie.
Red.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:37 PM

You questioning my foodie knowledge of Jax is fine. I never claimed to be a Jacksonville-savant, but I am familiar with the area. Regarding the hotel, I meant the Four Points by Sheraton. Apart of me kinda thinks you knew what I meant though.

And hey, you can't blaspheme against Metro Diner to me. I had their Chicken and Waffles, while my wife tried the Yo Hala on the Square. It was great! Not sure what type of food you're into, but Metro was pretty good....and they never steal our card info so we're good

How is my quote about Jax sprawl misleading when you just elaborated on it yourself? Driving from the East to Kenner is a pretty lengthy drive to do regularly.

We can agree to disagree about your opinion that Ragtime is reminiscent of New Orleans.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Regarding the hotel, I meant the Four Points by Sheraton. Apart of me kinda thinks you knew what I meant though.

Honestly it didn't cross my mind. I'm not a Sheraton member and wouldn't have connected those dots. I thought you might have been confused by another luxury brand, but then I couldn't figure out which one because unlike NOLA, Jax doesn't have a lot of great hotels.

And hey, you can't blaspheme against Metro Diner to me. I had their Chicken and Waffles, while my wife tried the Yo Hala on the Square. It was great! Not sure what type of food you're into, but Metro was pretty good....and they never steal our card info so we're good

Well Metro's not bad, so if you like that then you can consistently eat very well in Jax, even though it's not a foodie paradise. PM me and I promise I'll point you to places that will leave you very impressed - the kind of places that won't ever get attention because they're in lil ol Jax, but would be popular and receive press in any major city, your's included.

How is my quote about Jax sprawl misleading when you just elaborated on it yourself? Driving from the East to Kenner is a pretty lengthy drive to do regularly.

Yes, that's true. But like folks in Jax, NOLA, or any medium to large size metro, making these cross-city commutes is not desirable or done often. People at the beach have a saying - "they don't cross the ditch", meaning the intracoastal waterway. People where I grew up are known as "townies", which is a take on the Boston version of the word though it doesn't necessarily mean blue collar in Jax. Very few if any cities are so compact that you can walk across the entire metro. What's still city limits in Jax would be suburbs elsewhere as the county/city is consolidated. The consolidation alone doesn't make Jax any more or less sprawled than metro NOLA, Nashville, Atlanta, SF, or wherever. It just means that where you see malls and suburban office parks and gated communities, that's still city limits, not a suburb. I know folks from Mandeville, LA - now that's a drive. Easy if your stop is Metaire's downtown, insanely congested, long, and difficult if you're commuting into DT NOLA.

We can agree to disagree about your opinion that Ragtime is reminiscent of New Orleans.
Ok, it's about the worst example anyway. I merely brought it up almost out of humor because it happens to have "cajun" food and thought you'd get a kick out of trying it, or maybe offended. We can agree whole heartedly that it sucks.
Red.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:59 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,552 times
I have been to Jacksonville before but never New Orleans, but based on my experience I didn't care for JAX much. Its a really HUGE city I terms of physical size , but at the same time its not urban at all. Its like a giant suburban sprawl. It takes a long time to drive from one part of JAX to the other, and everyone has huge yards. Look at a map of Duval County and it goes on for miles and miles.... the downtown area looked dead and soulless.

Its definitely more Southern than the rest of Florida. But I found it to be a pretty racist and uncultured city. Not everyone in JAX mind you, there were some very friendly people, this just is own personal experience with the city. I also found it to be dangerous, there was always someone being murdered or raped or something in the city everyday. I know that this happens in any large city but not on the same scale as JAX. It does have a great beach though, and an excellent waterfront area. Also technically not JAX but nearby St. Augustine was a very beautiful and historic little town, reminded me of Europe.

I think New Orleans is definitely a much more beautiful, cultured, and all around interesting city to visit, but I wouldn't want to live in either place. Both are ridiculously humid in the summer and New Orleans is pretty dangerous from what I hear too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City