Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Midwest fight, which city is best. highrise buildings, and architecture, to parks and waterfronts.
Milwaukee 15 7.50%
Detroit 14 7.00%
Chicago 100 50.00%
Indianapolis 12 6.00%
St. Louis 20 10.00%
Minneapolis 26 13.00%
Cleveland 13 6.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:00 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Yes, yes, let's put Columbus on the list, just for ****s n giggles as Indy kicks its butt. Cincy is a Southern town, even if Ohio is in the Midwest.

I am shocked - SHOCKED - that we forgot about Kansas City. Usually, people mention "KCMO" before Milwaukee.
Oh please Cincinnati is definitely a Midwestern city....architecturally, culturally, dialect-wise, demographically, climate...I have 15 college friends from Cincinnati..all consider themselves Midwesterners. Cincinnati is unquestionably Midwestern. It goes on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 11:01 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,898,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Oh please Cincinnati is definitely Midwestern and should be on this list.
Okay, you win. But Cincy won't.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Okay, you win. But Cincy won't.
Hey....did I ever say Cincy would win? MWAHAHAHAHA.....I think Cincy should be on this list...just for the sake of decent comparison MTYPEX. I'm not for it winning. I am a loyal St. Louisan to the end

Old 07-23-2007, 11:10 PM

Should we place Pittsburgh on here as well? I've always thought of Pittsburgh as being more Midwest than Northeast myself given its close proximity to Cleveland and Columbus compared to that of Philadelphia.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:15 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,898,423 times
My professor was born in Lincoln, Nebraska and grew up in Pittsburgh. When I came down to Illinois to see the campus and have dinner at his house, I asked "is Cleveland midwestern? they don't have Meijer, or Kroger, and they drive like crap" and "is Pittsburgh midwestern? Pennsylvania is 'the east' and apparently Pburgh'ers have some kind of funny accent."

He rolled his eyes and replied "yes, those are Midwest." Never ask smartass questions with your advisor/mentor.
Logic: Cleveland is Midwest, Cleveland has Giant Eagle, Pittsburgh has Giant Eagle, therefore ...

The Midwest is not really a place, it's a state of mind, where a 2-year-old Buick is a sign of success, a steel plant is a sign of prosperity, and you can ask somebody about the weather and they will answer the question ... with a two paragraph response. (Do people in NYC talk about the weather?)

In order to scare Dorothy and Toto, you'd have to go east of State College, or south of Cincy ... or west to Berkeley. Let's not freak them out too much, though.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
My professor was born in Lincoln, Nebraska and grew up in Pittsburgh. When I came down to Illinois to see the campus and have dinner at his house, I asked "is Cleveland midwestern? they don't have Meijer, or Kroger, and they drive like crap" and "is Pittsburgh midwestern? Pennsylvania is 'the east' and apparently Pburgh'ers have some kind of funny accent."

He rolled his eyes and replied "yes, those are Midwest." Never ask smartass questions with your advisor/mentor.

The Midwest is not really a place, it's a state of mind, where a 2-year-old Buick is a sign of success, a steel plant is a sign of prosperity, and you can ask somebody about the weather and they will answer the question ... with a two paragraph response.

In order to scare Dorothy and Toto, you'd have to go east of State College, or south of Cincy.
LMAO I will keep that in mind in case I ever want to scare the panties off Dorothy and her little dog too

Old 07-24-2007, 08:34 AM

607 posts, read 2,979,712 times
Quote:

Logic: Cleveland is Midwest, Cleveland has Giant Eagle, Pittsburgh has Giant Eagle, therefore ...

The Midwest is not really a place, it's a state of mind, where a 2-year-old Buick is a sign of success, a steel plant is a sign of prosperity, and you can ask somebody about the weather and they will answer the question ... with a two paragraph response. (Do people in NYC talk about the weather?)

In order to scare Dorothy and Toto, you'd have to go east of State College, or south of Cincy ... or west to Berkeley. Let's not freak them out too much, though.
that's funny. I wouldn't consider Kansas city midwest, it's pretty far west.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:51 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,056,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityKing59 View Post
that's funny. I wouldn't consider Kansas city midwest, it's pretty far west.
Its all relative, based on perspective. As a native Missourian, IMHO, KC is midwest. UT, CA, NV,,, that is pretty far west...

Old 07-24-2007, 09:25 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,153,026 times
And I think Kansas City would definitely be midwest more than Pittsburgh...you're right though, it's all perception.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:32 AM

20 posts, read 77,673 times
KC is (in my humble opinion) Midwest.

Pittsburgh is in that weird border area. It's in PA, but west of the Appalachians, and at least 4-5 hours from the major East Coast Cities. I have heard it called "The Paris of Appalachia" and "The Gateway to the Midwest" by locals. I guess it's a mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City