Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 01:09 PM

994 posts, read 1,832,072 times

Advertisements

What to you is the coldest city, and I don't mean the climate or people, but when you think of the city it kind of gives you an aloof vibe. It's hard to explain what I mean. Let me show an example:

For instance, I find San Francisco, San Diego and Boston, to be charming, warmer (again I don't mean climate) cities.

I guess in way it's like Gotham city = Cold, Metropolis = Warm, catch my drift. For instance I find a city like Berlin in my impression to be cold. I am sure I would love it, but there is just this vibe I get from it.

IMO some of the cold cities to me in the U.S. are Chicago and Detroit. As much as I love my city, I always have seen it as having a hybrid Berlin/Gotham City type of vibe. There is just something cold about it, but not that it's a bad thing it's just different.

Your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 01:15 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,525,157 times
Hmm.. I kind of get your drift.. I can see Chicago going both ways. Some parts are warm (Millenium Park, Navy Peir), and some have a cold vibe (Old Water Tower, old architecture). I see NYC as a cold city as well, along with Pittsburgh, Seattle and Philly. Warm cities for me include Baltimore, Miami, Houston, and Minneapolis.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:27 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,530,240 times
I could see the Berlin and Chicago... the whole German influence along with all the Polish/Eastern Euro's in the city. Buildings seem more modern/chaotic/cold streamlined yellow /brown brick, etc sometimes, people seem to dress in more neutral/black tones. Boston and SF have more of a flair about the architecture, it's all similar for the most part, plus more compact. Several buildings are pretty cold, including sears/hancock/ibm...just straight black, very efficient.

I much prefer buildings like Wrigley/Tribune, most along Michigan Avenue, some of the older art deco's...

Old 02-20-2011, 07:33 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,525,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I could see the Berlin and Chicago... the whole German influence along with all the Polish/Eastern Euro's in the city. Buildings seem more modern/chaotic/cold streamlined yellow /brown brick, etc sometimes, people seem to dress in more neutral/black tones. Boston and SF have more of a flair about the architecture, it's all similar for the most part, plus more compact. Several buildings are pretty cold, including sears/hancock/ibm...just straight black, very efficient.

I much prefer buildings like Wrigley/Tribune, most along Michigan Avenue, some of the older art deco's...
Wrigley is one of my favorite buildings..I also think it gives a "cold" vibe

Old 02-20-2011, 08:10 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,204,888 times
Yeah Chicago can be cold.

Most non yuppified neighborhoods.

Even downtown at night can seem cold.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:23 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,069,941 times
Miami, Los Angeles, San Diego, Houston, and Atlanta. Oh and Honolulu.

Actually, in all seriousness, I would say New York, parts of Chicago, and Amsterdam. Also, Hong Kong.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:54 PM

994 posts, read 1,832,072 times
I diagree with New York, it never feels cold to me. Other cities that have given me the cold vibe are London and Seoul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City