Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top center for business today:
Los Angeles 36 22.36%
DFW 29 18.01%
Houston 41 25.47%
Atlanta 31 19.25%
Philadelphia 24 14.91%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 03:08 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,925,311 times

Advertisements

Which of these metros is the biggest center for business in 2011?

I don't mean which has the friendliest business climate or which is the most impressive per capita - I am looking at all the cities in absolute terms, based on their standing in the international business community today.

Based on:

- Concentration of corporate headquarters
- Regional business headquarters (and U.S. HQs of international firms)
- Diversity of businesses
- Revenues, employees, sales, etc.
- Destination for international corporate movers and shakers
- Destination for business conferences
- Anything else..

Los Angeles, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, Atlanta, Philadelphia

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 03:20 AM

617 posts, read 1,425,270 times
Houston followed closely by DFW

Old 02-12-2011, 10:46 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,843,731 times
All of them if you ask me....

Old 02-12-2011, 12:28 PM

36,665 posts, read 67,579,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Which of these metros is the biggest center for business in 2011?

I don't mean which has the friendliest business climate or which is the most impressive per capita - I am looking at all the cities in absolute terms, based on their standing in the international business community today.

Based on:

- Concentration of corporate headquarters
- Regional business headquarters (and U.S. HQs of international firms)
- Diversity of businesses
- Revenues, employees, sales, etc.
- Destination for international corporate movers and shakers
- Destination for business conferences
- Anything else..

What say you?
Based on that criteria, I would say:

1 Dallas-Ft Worth
2-tied Atlanta
2-tied Houston
4-tied Los Angeles
4-tied Philadelphia

They all have very diverse economies but I think Dallas wins because it has so many HUGE companies HQd there across several industries. From Telecommunications to Energy to Transportation and so on.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:33 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,064,454 times
^ Actually Atlanta is the most diverse economy of them all. Dallas/Fort Worth doesn't round to the top Top 10 in diverse economies and Philadelphia is one of the most diverse economies as well. Dallas/Fort Worth has a diverse economy but it still trails Atlanta & Philadelphia on that while still ahead of Los Angeles & Houston though.

The largest corporate base is in Houston, followed by Dallas/Fort Worth. The most acclaimed corporate base is also in Houston even though Dallas/Fort Worth has Exxon in Irving but the rest trail closely, Los Angeles has half of that. I vote for Houston off corporate base and because I am biased here, the number of visitors that visit the city for just pure business, and for having niche industries and some industries that you cant find anywhere else, however Los Angeles & Philadelphia can make the exact same claim too with their niche's.

But Dallas/Fort Worth would be my second option. There is really no industry that Houston lacks besides finance, all of these cities are absolutely weak on finance, every single one of them are. It's just mind boggling.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:34 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,961,911 times
This is hard to say in total

Based on:

- Concentration of corporate headquarters - Houston?
- Regional business headquarters (and U.S. HQs of international firms) May be Philly actually on this one, many large Pharma HQs of Eurpoean co's, plus SAP
- Diversity of businesses - Think Philly actually is ranked most diverse out of these
- Revenues, employees, sales, etc.- LA largest economy out of all
- Destination for international corporate movers and shakers -depends on the industry, for Oil Houston, Media LA, Pharma Philly etc not sure there is a clear cut winner on this one
- Destination for business conferences - Atlanta, and soon to be Philly as well with the completion of the expanded convention center
- Anything else..

I dont think there is a clear cut "winner" so to speak on this criteria

Old 02-12-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
^ Actually Atlanta is the most diverse economy of them all. Dallas/Fort Worth doesn't round to the top Top 10 in diverse economies.

The largest corporate base is in Houston, followed by Dallas/Fort Worth. The most acclaimed corporate base is also in Houston, Los Angeles has half of that. I vote for Houston off corporate base, the number of visitors that visit the city for just pure business, and for having niche industries and some industries that you cant find anywhere else, however Los Angeles & Philadelphia can make the exact same claim too with their niche's.

But Dallas/Fort Worth would be my second option. There is really no industry that Houston lacks besides finance, all of these cities are absolutely weak on finance, every single one of them are. It's just mind boggling.
Well, I have to agree that generally speaking perhaps Atlanta is more diverse overall economically, but this thread is asking about revenue too and as far as corporate revenue, Dallas whallops LA, Atlanta and Philly and soundly beats Houston too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old post by 18M

Total Revenue of Fortune 500 Companies by Combined Statistical Area, 2009
SF Bay Area $878.9 Billion
Dallas-Ft Worth $808.4 Billion
Houston $645.2 Billion
Chicago $521.8 Billion
Detroit $489.4 Billion
Minneapolis-St Paul $401.6 Billion
Boston $295.2 Billion
Los Angeles $270.0 Billion
Atlanta $266.2 Billion
Washingon-Baltimore $253.1 Billion

Old 02-12-2011, 12:40 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,961,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
^ Actually Atlanta is the most diverse economy of them all. Dallas/Fort Worth doesn't round to the top Top 10 in diverse economies and Philadelphia is one of the most diverse economies as well. Dallas/Fort Worth has a diverse economy but it still trails Atlanta & Philadelphia on that while still ahead of Los Angeles & Houston though.

The largest corporate base is in Houston, followed by Dallas/Fort Worth. The most acclaimed corporate base is also in Houston, Los Angeles has half of that. I vote for Houston off corporate base, the number of visitors that visit the city for just pure business, and for having niche industries and some industries that you cant find anywhere else, however Los Angeles & Philadelphia can make the exact same claim too with their niche's.

I actually will disagree on Finance for Philly - not its main industry but is actually very well represented, not to mention little companies like Vangaurd (not public so never included on the lists) but after Fidelity is the largest fund company in the world, also Philly has a stock market with specialty derivatives, and look up SEI, bascially the comapny that reconciles the market everyday, located where?

Now Philly is not NYC or Boston but not by nay means non existant in the Finance industry, but honestly the city has had a temendous economy for many many many years and is extremly diverse

And i thought you had posted something earlier 9months back) that showed Philly was more diverse than Atlanta, could be wrong though

Old 02-12-2011, 12:44 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,064,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
This is hard to say in total

Based on:

- Concentration of corporate headquarters - Houston?
- Regional business headquarters (and U.S. HQs of international firms) May be Philly actually on this one, many large Pharma HQs of Eurpoean co's, plus SAP
- Diversity of businesses - Think Philly actually is ranked most diverse out of these
- Revenues, employees, sales, etc.- LA largest economy out of all
- Destination for international corporate movers and shakers -depends on the industry, for Oil Houston, Media LA, Pharma Philly etc not sure there is a clear cut winner on this one
- Destination for business conferences - Atlanta, and soon to be Philly as well with the completion of the expanded convention center
- Anything else..

I dont think there is a clear cut "winner" so to speak on this criteria
I agree with your post but you're also undermining your own city though.

A few things that should be added in:
- Philadelphia, niche industry is Pharmacy, it actually controls 80% of the Pharmaceutical companies in the country. Relatively one of the most diverse and stable economies in the country and one of the largest expanding business conventions in America.

- Houston, niche industry is Energy, self explanatory. Also Top 3 for Aeronautics with Chicago & Washington DC being the other two, Top 3 for Seaport with Los Angeles & New Orleans being the other two, & Top 3 for Manufacturing with Chicago & Los Angeles being the other two. Not the best at it but has a large presence in the Medical Industry, large employer, most open heart surgeries take place here, and stuff like that but not the best at it. Largest corporate base of them all.

- Los Angeles, niche industry is Film Industry, self explanatory. Top 3 for Manufacturing with Houston & Chicago being the other two, Top 3 for seaport with Houston & New Orleans being the other two, & largest economy of them all.

- Atlanta, no particular niche industry but one of the most diverse economies, one of the Top 10 most diverse economies in the country and a strong presence in government and logistics, one of the top cities in both along with Chicago (logistics) & Washington DC (government).

- Dallas/Fort Worth, no niche industry, has a diverse economy and a large corporate base and pretty steady economy, meaning reliable when you need it to be.
Quote:
Now Philly is not NYC or Boston but not by nay means non existant in the Finance industry, but honestly the city has had a temendous economy for many many many years and is extremly diverse

And i thought you had posted something earlier 9months back) that showed Philly was more diverse than Atlanta, could be wrong though
That is true, Philadelphia has roots in Finance but I was going off of that global listing which only seemed to have New York, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, & Washington DC. I will say though, Philadelphia probably has more roots in finance than these others by a larger margin. It's almost completely non-existent in Houston & Los Angeles.

They both ranked Top 10 most diverse economies in the country, but I cant tell which one was ahead of the other. They're both pretty balanced I would say, both above 90% in balanced economy so niche's only take less than 10% chunk out of the overall economy.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I actually will disagree on Finance for Philly - not its main industry but is actually very well represented, not to mention little companies like Vangaurd (not public so never included on the lists) but after Fidelity is the largest fund company in the world, also Philly has a stock market with specialty derivatives, and look up SEI, bascially the comapny that reconciles the market everyday, located where?

Philadelphia does have a presence in Finance for sure.

Philadelphia is also home to Comcast, which now owns NBC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City