Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city gives off that big city feel in the sunbelt?
Atlanta 16 19.51%
DFW (you have to include both) 1 1.22%
Houston 10 12.20%
Jacksonville 1 1.22%
LA 38 46.34%
Miami 8 9.76%
New Orleans 3 3.66%
Phoenix 2 2.44%
San Antonio 0 0%
San Diego 3 3.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:45 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

LA by a long way - it is the largest in reality and on feel among this list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 09:08 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,567 times
Skyline - Houston/Miami
Freeways (size/congestion) - LA (by a mile)
Street level - Miami/LA
Overall feel - LA (by a couple of miles)

Old 01-06-2011, 09:12 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Throwing Los Angeles in there kind of throws everything off. You shouldn't have included it because it's the obvious winner. It's so much bigger than the rest of the cities on the poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Driving through Atlanta, it feels just as crowded as Houston, Los Angeles, Dallas-Fort Worth. But it also feels smaller because the freeways are on average narrower than Houston's & Dallas-Fort Worth's.

However on ground level and walking around, I would say that Atlanta feels just about as large as Houston and Dallas and a good margin smaller than Los Angeles or Miami. Miami however, in certain segments of the city on street level feels much larger than all the other places in the Sunbelt region.

I will say that by driving through the cities, Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, Atlanta, & even Miami all feel more expansive and feel larger on the road than Boston or Philadelphia.
Nah, I disagree here. Atlanta's freeways are wider than DFW's freeways (not Houston's though). Dallas-Fort Worth freeways generally aren't the wide (save for a few short segments) because the traffic flow in DFW is so random (it's a multipolar region). DFW makes up for it by having more freeways and a better secondary road system (Houston has a great secondary road system as well). Atlanta has wide freeways to make up for its lack in secondary roads.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:18 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
Skyline - Houston/Miami
Freeways (size/congestion) - LA (by a mile)
Street level - Miami/LA
Overall feel - LA (by a couple of miles)
I'd even give it to LA in the skyline category as it has a string of them that seem to stretch longer than Houston's and Miami's. I don't people realize how much ground this really covers:

Old 01-06-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I'd even give it to LA in the skyline category as it has a string of them that seem to stretch longer than Houston's and Miami's. I don't people realize how much ground this really covers:
Houston:

Old 01-06-2011, 09:26 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
I'm well aware that Houston's skyline goes on for quite a stretch also. But I believe that Los Angeles's stretches further. And that makes sense because it's a much larger city. People tend to give LA grief about its downtown skyline but don't take the entire string of skylines into account like they do for other cities that are set up similarly (like Houston).

Old 01-06-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I'm well aware that Houston's skyline goes on for quite a stretch also. But I believe that Los Angeles's stretches further. And that makes sense because it's a much larger city. People tend to give LA grief about its downtown skyline but don't take the entire string of skylines into account like they do for other cities that are set up similarly (like Houston).
Yeah, LA has a lot of little skylines. There are some good panos out there of the LA Basin skylines. There are also some highrises in the Burbank and Universal City areas.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:35 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,567 times
Quote:
Based on images, I would give it to LA as well but in person was a different story for me. It was a tad bit underwhelming unless you were looking west by which case it is right up there with some of the best. There was smog, so maybe my view was obstructed to an extent, but the city itself still felt much larger than any other Sunbelt city.

I think I was expecting it to look something like that of Chicago, which it did not.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
Based on images, I would give it to LA as well but in person was a different story for me. It was a tad bit underwhelming unless you were looking west by which case it is right up there with some of the best. There was smog, so maybe the view was obstructed to an extent, but the city itself still felt much larger than any other Sunbelt city.

I think I was expecting it to look something like that of Chicago, which it did not.
Because it is. The LA MSA alone is the size of the two largest Sunbelt metro areas combined (DFW and Houston). If you make it CSAs, you could throw in Phoenix, too. Hell, the LA CSA has about the exact same population as the State of Florida.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:14 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
LA does have multiple skylines, but I don't think it stretched longer than Miami or Houston. They to, have multiple skylines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City