Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 02:50 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
Ehh that one can go either way I think, I know Coney Island used to be dangerous but is it still like that?
well the the coney island im talking about is everything west of stillwell ave, with neptune, surf, and mermaid. the 30,s the 20,s and the teen streets.

coney island was on the daily blotter twice this week for shooting incidents. the housing projects in coney island are no joke, and to my opinion the ghetto half of coney island is more dangerous then flatbush/east flatbush, and southern crown heights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 01:14 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,248,391 times
Look up Perlman Place on Google street view. This street is located in East Baltimore. All the houses on this street are abandoned. No revitalization here.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:03 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Probably White Center/South Park, near Sea-Tac, and the Rainier Valley neighborhoods in Seattle are the roughest.

But in reality, there isn't much crime in Seattle, besides car prowling and the occassional mugging. Only like, 30 murders last year (this year may be more because of some gang turf war and a few hit jobs by the mafia, it is so obvious it was them). Worst crimes in Seattle are drug use (weed and meth use are most prevalent).

But even given all these, I still feel safe in these areas. It's nothing compared to the old projects I remember in Chicago growing up ... white people simply didn't go there or else they'd get shot or mugged, unless you were a priest, or with a group going to teach after school math and reading, then people loved you for that.
That would be me! Our church went to Cabrini Green every summer to paint the stairwells in the white towers. You'd be an absolute idiot to leave the group and go off on your own -- you WILL become a victim!

Old 12-20-2010, 03:07 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
The Northside of Minneapolis, and the Eastside of St. Paul:

There are good and bad areas within each side of town but the worst areas, although small, have quite a bit of violent crime. To answer the OP's question and the purpose of this thread: No, I don't think that gentrification would ever make either of these areas "highly desireable". The main reason for this is LOCATION. Neither area has good access to lakes, parks or other entertainment, and both areas are generally cut off from the ebb and flow of the rest of the city. Few major thoroughfares go through those areas and you essentially have to go out of your way to get there (with a few minor exceptions).

Old 12-20-2010, 03:28 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
For Boston you'd have to look at Roxbury and probably some areas around Franklin Park.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:43 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
well the the coney island im talking about is everything west of stillwell ave, with neptune, surf, and mermaid. the 30,s the 20,s and the teen streets.

coney island was on the daily blotter twice this week for shooting incidents. the housing projects in coney island are no joke, and to my opinion the ghetto half of coney island is more dangerous then flatbush/east flatbush, and southern crown heights.
The areas around the projects are not dangerous at all though. I think there are actually no black people at all living on Coney Island besides the projects according to the recent numbers.
Some nabes down there are like 99% white....

Old 12-20-2010, 04:39 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Badlands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaWTnf_kuEs

Old 12-20-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The areas around the projects are not dangerous at all though. I think there are actually no black people at all living on Coney Island besides the projects according to the recent numbers.
Some nabes down there are like 99% white....
theirs many black people who live in coney island that do not live in the projects. i should know because half my middle school were kids from coney island.

now the houses around the projects are diverse with Hispanics, Asians, and even whites. the housing projects and private run down housing in coney island are very very scattered which is why most of coney island is bad. Most of the projects are in the 30,s, and the 30,s is the worst part of coney mostly public housing and tenements on mermaid ave.

p.s not all of the crime happens in the projects neither. plenty of murders have happened in the non-project parts of neptune, surf, and mermaid avenues. once you leave stillwell you are in the hood.

p.s part 2 - most whites in coney island live east of stillwell around west 5th all the way down to ocean pkwy. you wont find 99.9 percent white nabes in the hood section of coney island. after coney island is sea gate which is 90 percent white but that neighborhood is sealed of and separates coney island with a large gate.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Vietnamese or cambodian?

Old 12-20-2010, 04:56 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,018 times
2nd Street, Houston Ave, Little Richard Penniman Blvd (hard to imagine anything about Little Richard being associate with "tough" huh?)
and much of the Southside and Westside of the city limits here in Macon, Georgia.

Much of this is near the historic distric, Mercer University, and the neighborhood of Macon's historically most accomplished Public High School
which was rebuilt not too long ago, Central High.

I think it could be very desirable if gentrification were to take full swing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City