Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2010, 06:25 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,799,230 times

Advertisements

Let's focus on these three Southern cities. For those of you that have experienced these three, which cities do you think are friendly...or not, or neutral?

In my experiences:
  • Louisville: will only explain if you're interested. Some of the nastiest, most arrogant, surly people I've ever had the displeasure of meeting are from Louisville. Oh yeah, the two worst customer service experiences I've ever had were there, and I've been all over the U.S.

On the upside, I've had some great times partying with or dating beautiful or well-traveled women from Louisville. Plus, I have had the pleasure of working with a beautiful, flirtatious lady boss from there. But the city, IMO, leaves a lot to be desired.

This was a surprise to me considering how I really wanted to live there once upon a time and how my family to this day continues to say "Louisville's not so bad." Yeah, it was for me.
  • Birmingham: I found the older generations (60+) of people to be exceptionally friendly. Five Points South overall has a good, positive vibe and I found many of its storekeepers friendly. Now, my generation (20s): there doesn't appear to be a lot of Southern hospitality in that category.

Overall, a friendly place, but the younger crowd needs an adjustment.
  • Atlanta: surprisingly friendly. I spent five days in Atlanta a few years back and met tons of friendly people. There were a couple of angry, negative nellies in customer service, but I guess you can find those anywhere.

This was, in many respects, a surprise considering how everyone else in my family who has been to Atlanta hates it.
I realize that Atlanta is the odd one of the bunch b/c Louisville and Birmingham are much more comparable in size and demographics. But Atlanta is the flagship city of the southeast, more or less, and I thought it would be interesting to throw it into the mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 01:10 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,799,230 times
Bump.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:26 PM

871 posts, read 2,247,396 times
Description of Hasty Generalization

This fallacy is committed when a person draws a conclusion about a population based on a sample that is not large enough. It has the following form:
  1. Sample S, which is too small, is taken from population P.
  2. Conclusion C is drawn about Population P based on S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City