Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:40 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Good job Chicago! Excellent for a first edition. Im dying to check out L20.

Chicago among world's top dining cities as two restaurants receive three Michelin stars - Telegraph

The guide awards one to three stars to a small number of restaurants of outstanding quality.

One star indicates a "very good cuisine in its category"

two-star rankings represent "excellent cuisine, worth a detour"

three stars are awarded to restaurants offering "exceptional cuisine, worth a special journey".

FYI: The Bib Gourmand rating indicates “the restaurant is an inspector’s favorite for good value” (i.e., where two courses and a glass of wine or dessert costs $40 or less.).

Chicago 2011 Winners
3 Stars: 2( Alinea & L20)
2 Stars: 3( Avenues, Charlie Trotter's & Ria)
1 Star: 18
Bib Gourmand: 46

New York 2011 Winners
3 Stars: 5( Daniel, Jean Georges, Le Bernadin, Masa, Per Se)
2 Stars: 5( Alto, Brooklyn Fare, Kajitsu, Marea, Soto)
1 Star: 40
Bib Gourmand: 95

San Francisco 2011 Winners
3 Stars: 2( The French Laundry, Meadowood)
2 Stars: 3( Coi, Cyrus, Manresa)
1 Star: 37
Bib Gourmand: 74

*Michelin previously had Los Angeles and Las Vegas editions as well, but they were cancelled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 11:59 AM

793 posts, read 1,452,720 times
Chicago is a fantastic food town. Aldea and L20 both deserve all the praise they get (3 Stars is right on the money for both of them).

One thing I couldn't understand though is how Alto is considered a 2 Star in NYC, but Eleven Madison Park is still stuck at One. I think EMP is superior to Alto on so many levels.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:16 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
about time. I think you will see more 1 stars/bib gourmand pop up in Chicago to the tune of the SF level, but not necessarily adding the 2/3's. ...they just haven't been to them yet. Alinea was #1 restaurant in the u.s. this year. My favorite book in Chicago is certainly not Zagat or Michelin though... but the BYOB guide I would say though these are the top 3 foodie metros in the U.S. Michelin guide will do well in Chicago though

Old 11-18-2010, 09:19 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
One thing I couldn't understand though is how Alto is considered a 2 Star in NYC, but Eleven Madison Park is still stuck at One. I think EMP is superior to Alto on so many levels.
EMP may be the best restaurant in the U.S. Fantastic place.

They really gave EMP only one star??

Old 11-18-2010, 11:37 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,200 times
Good for Chicago, it's an incredible food city thats is only getting better and better each day.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:39 AM

793 posts, read 1,452,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post

For some reason they just don't see what everyone else does. At least Frank Bruni gave it a NY Times 4 star rating, which typically results in at least a 2 star Michelin but hey the "Stars" are always controversial in general.

Whatever the rating may be though, its one of my favorite places to eat anywhere in the world, never have had anything short of an amazing experience at EMP.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post

Michelin is often more focused on the upscale decor/service/experience than the food. I am not really into the jacket and tie type establishments myself even if they food is good.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:23 AM

1,060 posts, read 1,557,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Michelin is often more focused on the upscale decor/service/experience than the food. I am not really into the jacket and tie type establishments myself even if they food is good.
Which is why I was pleasantly surprised that Bonsoiree got a star since it's byob and doesn't fit into the upscale full service establishment Michelin prefers.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:34 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,285 times
I think Chicago has great food, but these places mean nothing to me. How often am I going to go out to eat where I pay $200+ for my one meal? I doubt most of you are any different. I'd rather go have a tasty Italian beef sandwich somewhere in the city to be honest.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
I think Chicago has great food, but these places mean nothing to me. How often am I going to go out to eat where I pay $200+ for my one meal? I doubt most of you are any different. I'd rather go have a tasty Italian beef sandwich somewhere in the city to be honest.
They are cool for special occasion places (anniversary, new years, valentines), or a business dinner (expense it on your company) if you are in the restaurant industry or know somebody who is you can often get it discounted. Italian beef is different though, they take time and care and are part of the cities food culture, also even if it is "street food", it is not like you would say you want to go down to Taco Bell instead I don't think, right?
I haven't been to Alinea or L20 but I have been to Charlie Trotters and Tobolabompo and several other of the Lettuce Entertain You group (L20 is a LEY restaurant)... I haven't been to French Laundry but have been to Bouchon for example (another cheaper Keller).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City