Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best city in the USA?
San Francisco(San Mateo, Marin counties) 41 40.59%
New York City(Suffolk, Nassau counties) 60 59.41%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 12:13 AM

25 posts, read 31,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonzy View Post
Exactly!! the San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont statistical area. Im only trying to discuss the San Francisco part of the combined Oakland and Fremont and SF area and why the hell is San Jose not part of this statstical area? Fremont is not even a major city in the Bay Area?
Anyways Im not talking about the Oakland and Fremont part, Im only discussing the San Francisco Side of The BAY!!!!!!The SF side of the BAY!!!! Does this register, Im only trying to discuss SF and the SF peninsula and Marin peninsula. AKA The Golden Gate AKA 415/650 AKA West Bay AKA Niner Empire AKA Greater(or extended) San Francisco.
And as far as Long Island it is called the 6th Borough for goodness sake. Half of Long Island is in New York City (queens and brooklyn), Long Island is an Island, the only way to get to the main land is threw NYC or by boat. New Jersey is another STATE. Weschester county is part of the Lower Hudson Valley area, not the NYC area, it might be part of the metro area but its not part of the NYC city area like Long Island is, theres a difference!! understand this!!!
If any of you ever been to NYC or SF you would already know this!!!!
Its like Im educating a bunch of tourist on the basics ;(
Says who?

Old 11-19-2010, 12:26 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,096 times
Quote:
Exactly!! the San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont statistical area. Im only trying to discuss the San Francisco part of the combined Oakland and Fremont and SF area and why the hell is San Jose not part of this statstical area? Fremont is not even a major city in the Bay Area?
Anyways Im not talking about the Oakland and Fremont part, Im only discussing the San Francisco Side of The BAY!!!!!!The SF side of the BAY!!!! Does this register, Im only trying to discuss SF and the SF peninsula and Marin peninsula. AKA The Golden Gate AKA 415/650 AKA West Bay AKA Niner Empire AKA Greater(or extended) San Francisco.
And as far as Long Island it is called the 6th Borough for goodness sake. Half of Long Island is in New York City (queens and brooklyn), Long Island is an Island, the only way to get to the main land is threw NYC or by boat. New Jersey is another STATE. Weschester county is part of the Lower Hudson Valley area, not the NYC area, it might be part of the metro area but its not part of the NYC city area like Long Island is, theres a difference!! understand this!!!
If any of you ever been to NYC or SF you would already know this!!!!
Its like Im educating a bunch of tourist on the basics ;(
I get what you're trying to do, but I think your whole definition of the NY area is just off. I don't see why you're trying to leave parts of Jersey for example out of NYC's area. It's another state is your argument, umm, who cares?

I know CA doesn't have any major cross state border metros or anything (none I can think of off the top of my head anyway), but a stupid state line isn't an all powerful dividing line cutting off two completely different worlds or something, it's just a line. It's like crossing the line from Northern CT out of Hartford County and going to Springfield or anywhere else in Hampden County in MA, there's no difference or anything. People do that in smaller states. You remind me of an old post that basically said is was cheating for NYC to include other states in it's metro, sometimes an area's influence or local culture just crosses over arbitrary boundaries, get over it.

Look at Jersey City, right across the water from Manhattan, and damn close to the Statue of Liberty too, which happens by the way to sit on an island that belongs to NJ. Anyway, Jersey City is often called the 6th Borough and much more so than Long Island.

And I mean look at it, it isn't close enough or something to count as part of NYC's area?

You're telling me a stupid state line makes all this mind blowing difference here?

And JC's not as close to Manhattan as Brooklyn for example, right? What about Staten Island? Look at that. It even looks like it should be part of Jersey.

http://ddcftp.nyc.gov/pb/images/gif/cboro.gif (broken link)

Your whole definition of the NY area here is just off, and I know we're not talking about metros so don't bother bringing that up again.

Last edited by missRoxyhart; 11-19-2010 at 12:50 AM..

Old 11-19-2010, 12:55 AM

290 posts, read 570,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
I get what you're trying to do, but I think your whole definition of the NY area is just off. I don't see why you're trying to leave parts of Jersey for example out of NYC's area. It's another state is your argument, umm, who cares?

I know CA doesn't have any major cross state border metros or anything (none I can think of off the top of my head anyway), but a stupid state line isn't an all powerful dividing line cutting off two completely different worlds or something, it's just a line. It's like crossing the line from Northern CT out of Hartford County and going to Springfield or anywhere else in Hampden County in MA, there's no difference or anything. People do that in smaller states. You remind me of an old post that basically said is was cheating for NYC to include other states in it's metro, sometimes an area's influence or local culture just crosses over arbitrary boundaries, get over it.

Look at Jersey City, right across the water from Manhattan, and damn close to the Statue of Liberty too, which happens by the way to sit on an island that belongs to NJ. Anyway, Jersey City is often called the 6th Borough and much more so than Long Island.

And I mean look at it, it isn't close enough or something to count as part of NYC's area?

You're telling me a stupid state line makes all this mind blowing difference here?

And JC's not as close to Manhattan as Brooklyn for example, right? What about Staten Island? Look at that. It even looks like it should be part of Jersey.

Your whole definition of the NY area here is just off, and I know we're not talking about metros so don't bother bringing that up again.
Listen guy, Jersey City is in the NYC metro area, yes that is correct, but it is not part of NYC itself. Jersey has its own identity seperate from NY, you guys even have your own basketball and hockey teams. Im not saying Jersey and NYC are not interconnected and intertwined in alot of ways. Im just saying its the NYC/NNJ/CON/WEST metro area. You live in the NNJ part of this metro area, do you understand, this thread is only to compare the NYC part of NYC/NNJ/CON/WEST metro area, we are leaving out the NNJ part. You should make a thread comparing Jersey City to Oakland, cause its the same thing. This thread is to compare SF to NYC. We are not comparing SF/OAK/SJ metro area to the NYC/NNJ/CON/WEST metro area. WE are comparing NYC to SF.
1100 Square miles of SF and its peninsulas to 1500 Square miles of NYC and its islands.
Heres a rule for thumb, if it is not on an ISLAND or on a PENINSULA its not part of NYC or SF. GET it? GOT it? GOOD!!!!!!

Old 11-19-2010, 01:07 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,096 times
Quote:
Listen guy, Jersey City is in the NYC metro area, yes that is correct, but it is not part of NYC itself. Jersey has its own identity seperate from NY, you guys even have your own basketball and hockey teams. Im not saying Jersey and NYC are not interconnected and intertwined in alot of ways. Im just saying its the NYC/NNJ/CON/WEST metro area. You live in the NNJ part of this metro area, do you understand, this thread is only to compare the NYC part of NYC/NNJ/CON/WEST metro area, we are leaving out the NNJ part. You should make a thread comparing Jersey City to Oakland, cause its the same thing. This thread is to compare SF to NYC. We are not comparing SF/OAK/SJ metro area to the NYC/NNJ/CON/WEST metro area. WE are comparing NYC to SF.
1100 Square miles of SF and its peninsulas to 1500 Square miles of NYC and its islands.
Heres a rule for thumb, if it is not on an ISLAND or on a PENINSULA its not part of NYC or SF. GET it? GOT it? GOOD!!!!!!
1st, I'm not a guy, and 2nd, I live in CT. I haven't lived in Jersey or NYC for a while now.

Anyway, if you're being so specific, it seems pretty weird to include say all of Marin County in your SF definition, I mean that's a pretty big gap of water there, and even though it's really intertwined and interconnected with SF and all, it's got it's own local identity. But whatever, what I get is that you think this is the only way SF could stack up to NYC. Sorry, even like this it still loses.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:34 AM

758 posts, read 1,961,238 times
Goonzy, you're entitled to your opinion, but it seems you're just making up stuff.

No New Yorker would say that Jersey City, two miles and one subway stop from Manhattan, is less connected to Manhattan than Suffolk County, NY, which is like 30-40 miles away.

Why is something two miles away not counted, while you are counting places as far away as the Hamptons, which are like 70-80 miles away?

There are far, far more people who live in Jersey City and work, shop, hang out in Manhattan than folks in outer Long Island.

It takes like 90 minutes by train to get to Manhattan from outer Long Island. In contrast, it takes 5 minutes from Jersey.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:55 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,706,736 times
Quote:
You should make a thread comparing Jersey City to Oakland, cause its the same thing.
No its not... Jersey City is like two times closer to Manhattan than Oakland to San Fran. And Jersey is much more connected to NYC as well, especially compared to outer Long Island.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:12 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Jersey City practically is New York City. If there wasn't a state line there, no one would notice the difference.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:19 AM

528 posts, read 1,184,852 times
Quote:
In the same way East Hampton and Glen Cove goes more with NYC then Newark, New Jersey or Yonkers, New York.
San Francisco goes more with Pescadero and Novato then with Oakland and Berkely. Oakland and Berkely are East Bay territory.
You fail to understand that the Bay Area is broken into 4 sub regions. You can never put cities together in diffrent regions unless your talking about the Bay Area as a whole.

umm how is east hampton more associated with NYC than Yonkers - a city that borders the Bronx and seamlessly merges out of it?? You can't tell the difference by looking!

Also, the US census actually divides the NYC sub-region as the 5 boroughs, Bergen, Passaic, Hudson (NNJ) and Westchester, Rockland, and Putnam (loHud) counties together...Eastern Long Island is a seperate metropolitan division.

New York metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-19-2010, 11:25 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
the jets and giants play over in jersey though..

Old 11-19-2010, 11:35 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,972 times
Quote:
What is a D-Bagg city?
By D-Bag do you mean Dirt Bag?
Please explain, I may not be up on your lingo.
this is priceless.

I couldn't bare to read 5 pages of this kinda stuff, so I'm sure this had said by now, but your parameters are ridiculous. Why is Montauk part of Greater NY but Yonkers is not?? NYC CSA vs SF CSA would be more fair anyways since Oakland and SJ get involved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City