Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban and has more of a "big city" feel?
Houston 69 29.11%
Seattle 168 70.89%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 07:44 AM

886 posts, read 2,226,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Yeah I think so too. Although it is moe urban it does not have all the amenities and the economy that Houston has

Food - Houston
Nightlife - Houston
Downtown - Seattle
Distinct Neighborhoods -Houston
Density - Both are just right for me
Skyline - Most definitely Houston
Walkable - neither
Vibrancy - Neither

I would add weather. I just love the weather in Seattle. I love the seasons. Love watching the trees change color.
Houstons skyline is not even close to being as nice as Seattles.....

Old 08-18-2010, 08:19 AM

886 posts, read 2,226,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
And the Houston skyline is NOT distinctive?
Actually, I think you missed my point.

Seattle's skyline is "beautiful" because of it's surroundings. I mean, the buildings by themselves have great architecture, but I feel that Houston's is just slightly better. Plus, there's MORE of a skyline there in Houston. Several different ones seen from a distance... it almost makes it as grand as Manhattan...... And I said ALMOST, so don't kill me for that.

Seattle may get more of a vote because of it's surroundings, but when I look at a city's skylines, I prefer to look at the man made part of it.
(I'm an architect major, so that's pretty much a given).
You posted pictures of Seattle that don't even show the mountains in its surroundings, and those skyline pictures were more impressive then Houstons. You can't really say its great mostly cuz of its surroundings when people are replying to your post with the pics say they prefer Seattle and it doesn't even SHOW the surroundings in it. Now if houston actually gets some density in between all the areas it has, that would make a huge difference...

Old 08-18-2010, 08:54 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
That is your opinion buddy. Yes, Houston does not come close to seattle's because it is already far ahead

Old 08-18-2010, 09:51 AM

882 posts, read 2,245,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
And Seattle's skyline is not even close to the massiveness, quantity, and height of Houston's skyline, not just downtown. Just something to keep in mind, a 400 ft building in Seattle is the 24th tallest building, in Houston a 400 ft building is the 52nd tallest building. All of our top 10 buildings are in or over the 700 ft range, all of Seattle's top 10 buildings are in or over the 500 ft range.

Both are great skylines for different reasons.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:58 AM

129 posts, read 264,431 times
Houston is just a massive San Antonio. I think is more comparable to that city then Seattle.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:09 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by number32 View Post
Houston is just a massive San Antonio. I think is more comparable to that city then Seattle.
Comparable to San Antonio. Why would you compare it to something that doesn't even have a proper skyline. Houston is in the top 5 tallest skylines. Seattle is not even in the top 10. San Antonio isn't even in the top 25

Old 08-18-2010, 10:48 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
Houston does have a taller collection of buildings, but when you look at things from the street level, it doesn't feel as urban. There are way more parking lots, smaller sidewalks, and less retail in the downtown Houston core when compared to downtown Seattle. Then there are places like Uptown, which looks somewhat like a more spread out Bellevue, WA with a giant 800 ft tower. Those zoomed out skyline panoramas are somewhat misleading, because there is not continuous dense development connecting all of those highrise clusters together. Houston is a much larger city in sq miles, so in that respect I imagine it would feel like a much larger city if you are driving from one end to the other. Neither city has a particularly large residential presence in the downtown area, but I imagine Seattle is far ahead of Houston in this metric ever since taking cues from Vancouver B.C. in the late 90s.

Last edited by toughguy; 08-18-2010 at 11:05 AM..

Old 08-18-2010, 10:51 AM

123 posts, read 157,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Houston does have a taller collection of buildings, but when you look at things from the street level, it doesn't feel as urban. There are way more parking lots, smaller sidewalks, and less retail in the downtown Houston core when compared to downtown Seattle. Then there are places like Uptown, which looks somewhat like a more spread out Bellevue, WA with a giant 800 ft tower. Those zoomed out skyline panoramas are somewhat misleading, because there is not continuous dense development connecting all of those clusters of highrises.

That is True

Old 08-18-2010, 10:56 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Seattle feels more urban. Houston feels more big city.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:57 AM

123 posts, read 157,688 times

YouTube - Houston Downtown trip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City