Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 10:00 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times

Advertisements

These sort of rankings miss the narrative....if anyone doesn't recognize the energy that is gathering in Cincinnati at this point in time, well they are simply missing out on what is the Queen City's second act. When entire neighborhoods of massive historic value (not only to the city, but to the COUNTRY) are repopulated, re-energized, reBORN....well, that portends further tourism/investment/development.

What is happening in the Over-the-Rhine neighborhood in Cincinnati is arguably THE STORY of urban America today. And the crazy thing is, for Cincy, it could snowball and spark an urban renaissance reminiscent of 90's Chicago throughout the city. I love both Columbus and Indianapolis, but neither have the history, architectural bones, topography, or Fortune 500 presence of Cincinnati.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:05 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
Quote:
These sort of rankings miss the narrative....if anyone doesn't recognize the energy that is gathering in Cincinnati at this point in time
I think there is an important regional story to be told. Lexington, Indy and Columbus were already star performers in terms of economic & pop growth. Not coincindentally they were the cities near to Cincy.

These three were recently joined by Louisville as a place starting to attract in-migration, esp of college-educated young adults.

Now you note, correctly, a change and building strength in Cincy. So I think Cincy is joining nearby cities as becoming the core of a sort of lower Midwest/Ohio Valley region that is going to start becoming a desirable location for business. This is already proved the case for at least Indy and Cols and Lexington.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I think there is an important regional story to be told. Lexington, Indy and Columbus were already star performers in terms of economic & pop growth. Not coincindentally they were the cities near to Cincy.

These three were recently joined by Louisville as a place starting to attract in-migration, esp of college-educated young adults.

Now you note, correctly, a change and building strength in Cincy. So I think Cincy is joining nearby cities as becoming the core of a sort of lower Midwest/Ohio Valley region that is going to start becoming a desirable location for business. This is already proved the case for at least Indy and Cols and Lexington.

That's exactly why I predict Cincinnati is well on its way to establishing itself as one of the major growth areas in the coming years. It is surrounded by vibrant growing urban areas on all sides....and no other city can truly capitalize on these trends more than Cincy. Right place, right time....

Old 02-27-2013, 10:36 AM

And heck, I even feel that Dayton will start to grow again and not SUX at all, further cementing Cincinnati as the vibrant heart of a renewed vibrant region....

Old 02-27-2013, 10:46 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,148,400 times
You can discuss this until the cows come home. First, 1.4% growth is anemic which is currently the state of our economy, hence the 1.4% growth. Just NOT GOOD coming off of a recession.

All of them, have some validity to them. It's just a matter of how you interpret. GDP is the most used because it's the most steady. It's a rolling 2 years come hell or high water of goods/services produced (not sold, just produced). Even then, you have several variances. Gross, Per Capita, etc. and each can point to a certain dynamic. Personally, I prefer per capita as it takes into account size of area. Gross is just the raw number so a larger metro by all accounts should always have a higher gross gdp. If it doesn't, something's wrong with said area. Akin to that, for Indiana and Ohio, Cleveland is #1 in gross followed by Indy, Cincy and then CBus. Technically Cincy should be #1 followed by Cleveland, CBus and then Indy. Needless to say, a metro of 1.7 million should never be second when up against 2 two million metros. Once you factor in per capita then, Indy and CBus are 1 and 2 with Cincy and Cleveland being 3 and 4. Of course you now take into account population difference with price per person. Overall gdp is a good metric. Doesn't take into account UE or anything like that as you have a lot of smaller areas like Charlotte that are simply out producing larger areas naturally.

Biz Journals taking into account unemployment, I guess, but UE rates are so problematic and inefficient. You can definitely see the correlation between Indy looking back at it's two year UE rate to current. 2010 was not good for the circle city, 2011 for that matter as one of its mainstays (manufacturing) took a hit and just now starting to come back (definitely at a slower pace than the others). Take the same UE rate two years to current for Cleveland and it is a very stark difference between then and now (now being much better). Same can be said for Cincy, much better now than 2010 and CBus has been just plain steady as she goes.

Both are good indicators and one shouldn't necessarily pull more weight than the others pending both being based off of solid methodology.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
That's exactly why I predict Cincinnati is well on its way to establishing itself as one of the major growth areas in the coming years. It is surrounded by vibrant growing urban areas on all sides....and no other city can truly capitalize on these trends more than Cincy. Right place, right time....
Except there are cities that are doing it already.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:27 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,675 times
^ Yada, yada, yada, masmhunter--in five-yrs. or less, come and talk to us about all that. Except for Chicago, Cincinnati's the real "Midwestern contender," bar none.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ Yada, yada, yada, masmhunter--in five-yrs. or less, come and talk to us about all that. Except for Chicago, Cincinnati's the real "Midwestern contender," bar none.
Yadda yadda, because YOU say so? For all intent and purposes Minneapolis is actually the midwest contender from top to bottom and it doesn't appear to be slowing down anytime soon. Right now Cincy isn't even the shining star in its own state. Personal conjecture is just that.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:43 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,907,894 times
midwest1 knows what's up. To my knowledge, he is not and has never been a Cincinnati resident (is that right?), but has been around the block enough times to spot the indicators and intangibles.

I feel very lucky to have been born a Cincinnatian, for otherwise I might not be sitting in a front-row seat watching the birth of the boom that's getting ready to go off.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:01 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
having said that....if my instincts are correct, and Cincy enters a multi-decade renaissance, well, that is only good news for nearby Indy, C-bus, Louisville, Lexington. The entire extended region benefits from Cincinnati's gathering resurgence.
From what I see, Ohio in general is poised for a major revival, moreso than at any point in the past 60 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City