Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which college town state capital do you prefer?
Boise, ID 23 13.07%
Baton Rouge, LA 6 3.41%
Baton Rouge, LA 5 2.84%
Madison, WI 88 50.00%
Lansing, MI 7 3.98%
Columbia, SC 21 11.93%
Tallahassee, FL 26 14.77%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 01:50 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times

Advertisements

Here's a list of college town state capitals (and the colleges located therein):

Boise, ID (Boise State)
Lincoln, NE (Nebraska)
Baton Rouge, LA (LSU)
Madison, WI (Wisconsin)
Lansing, MI (Michigan State)
Columbia, SC (South Carolina)
Tallahassee, FL (Florida State)

This poll is limited to cities in which the college and the state government are the two main drivers of the economy. This excludes places like Austin, Nashville, Columbus and Atlanta.

Criteria to measure

1. Quality academics
2. Quality athletics
3. Student body
4. Downtown ambiance
5. Appeal of the state

EDIT: The first "Baton Rouge, LA" should read "Lincoln, NE."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 08:48 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
You missed some state capitals/college towns. The following state capitals each house their respective state's largest university.

Raleigh: NC State University
Austin: University of Texas
Columbus: Ohio State

Some others with significant higher education institutions include:
Nashville: Vanderbilt University
Atlanta: Georgia Tech & Georgia State
Richmond: VCU (not sure if it's the largest institution in the state or not)
Boston: Boston University (again, I am not sure if it's the largest in the state or not)
Annapolis: US Naval Academy

BTW, Michigan State is located in East Lansing, not the state capital of Lansing. I know it might seem like a technicality but it is a separate city.

Alas, there are probably others I have missed. I just wanted to point out that the orginal list is not nearly all inclusive.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:50 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
You missed some state capitals/college towns. The following state capitals each house their respective state's largest university.

Raleigh: NC State University
Austin: University of Texas
Columbus: Ohio State

Some others with significant higher education institutions include:
Nashville: Vanderbilt University
Atlanta: Georgia Tech & Georgia State
Richmond: VCU (not sure if it's the largest institution in the state or not)
Boston: Boston University (again, I am not sure if it's the largest in the state or not)
Annapolis: US Naval Academy

BTW, Michigan State is located in East Lansing, not the state capital of Lansing. I know it might seem like a technicality but it is a separate city.

Alas, there are probably others I have missed. I just wanted to point out that the orginal list is not nearly all inclusive.
You missed this part of the OP's post: "This poll is limited to cities in which the college and the state government are the two main drivers of the economy. This excludes places like Austin, Nashville, Columbus and Atlanta." And I think that's fair, since it would otherwise be a very lopsided poll. However, I can see the inclusion of Annapolis, even though we think of the US Naval Academy as an entirely different sort of institution.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:18 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
Tallahassee, because Florida State girls are sexy .

Old 07-04-2010, 12:08 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Maybe Olympia, Washington should be included. Evergreen might be small, but it has a relatively big footprint especially since Olympia's so small.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:18 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Columbia, SC.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:46 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
You missed this part of the OP's post: "This poll is limited to cities in which the college and the state government are the two main drivers of the economy. This excludes places like Austin, Nashville, Columbus and Atlanta." And I think that's fair, since it would otherwise be a very lopsided poll. However, I can see the inclusion of Annapolis, even though we think of the US Naval Academy as an entirely different sort of institution.
Major Employers - Raleigh Economic Development
For your consideration.
If the metro is considered, add Duke and UNC to the major employers. Also, the entire reason why the Research Triangle Park (RTP) even exists is because of the universities. I know you didn't list Raleigh in your exclusion above. This is probably because, as a North Carolinian, you realize that Raleigh (city) does function in an economy that is highly tied to both the state government and the state's largest university. Even the burgeoning Centennial Campus research park is on NC State's campus. The other colleges/universities in the city (St. Augustine, Shaw, Meredith, St. Mary's, Peace and Campbell Law) only add to the university influence of the city.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 07-04-2010 at 01:56 PM..

Old 07-04-2010, 02:16 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Major Employers - Raleigh Economic Development
For your consideration.
If the metro is considered, add Duke and UNC to the major employers. Also, the entire reason why the Research Triangle Park (RTP) even exists is because of the universities. I know you didn't list Raleigh in your exclusion above. This is probably because, as a North Carolinian, you realize that Raleigh (city) does function in an economy that is highly tied to both the state government and the state's largest university. Even the burgeoning Centennial Campus research park is on NC State's campus. The other colleges/universities in the city (St. Augustine, Shaw, Meredith, St. Mary's, Peace and Campbell Law) only add to the university influence of the city.
C'mon, let's not get overly technical here. Raleigh is just in a league above the cities listed here, mainly due to RTP. Yes, they exist because of the universities, but they do constitute a huge chunk of private-sector employment in the area. Otherwise, we'd have to include Boston and Austin, and it would make for an extremely lopsided poll.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:18 PM

996 posts, read 1,896,356 times
Boise, ID

Old 07-05-2010, 09:24 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Hey, can a moderator please change the first "Baton Rouge, LA" on my poll to "Lincoln, NE"? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City