Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 10:30 PM

164 posts, read 596,715 times

Advertisements

I'm leaning toward moving to Cincinnati and figured I'd make a direct thread instead of getting answers hit and miss. Anyways, from afar I read that the city is crimeridden (depending how you calculate the murder rate), that not much is going on there, and that traffic is difficult.
I've visited before and have to think that any city with 2 major sports teams must have a few things going for it. It did seem a bit sketchy and rundown, but also that there's a good amount of historic architecture and cultural stuff around. As with alot of things you find what you're looking for.
-So my reason for moving is possibly to go to the Univ. of Cincy for about 18 months. I've been checking out the rentals online and it seems that there's alot of vacancies. I'd just need a studio or 1bd apartment, preferably near downtown. The Over The Rhine neighborhood looks like what I'd want, but I guess that Clifton or Newport/covington are also pretty good for singles. Really, a city atmosphere is the key moreso than finding a wholesome suburbia neighborhood for families (I'm 33 and single). Is this neighborhood at least tolerable with any redeeming traits (nightlife/architecture/convenience/a bit liberal)? I'm also open to living without a car or lessening dependence on one and would want a location that's close to amenities or a busy busline in case gas gets over $6/gal.
-What is the job market like? How easy is it to get just a very basic job at like a dry cleaner's? I'm not too picky and have no problem washing dishes for a few months if it can help accomplish the bigger goal. I assume there are a few of these around but am just wondering if I should start saving now in case these aren't so prevalent.
-Also, I posted a question similar to this one elsewhere and the response I got was that the city had serious race issues and that public transit was a shame. Neither of these would be a deal breaker if true, but I hope that it really isn't so bad. I do remember some almost-riots a few years ago. And on major routes does the bus run regularly or at night?

-I'm pretty excited for this all to pan out (there's got to be a few great things about this formerly great city) and am just hoping to be better prepared. Thanks very much in advance for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 07:38 AM

27 posts, read 106,152 times
I think Clifton, near Ludlow Avenue, is what you're looking for. Lots of affordable rentals, and within walking distance of University of Cincinnati. It is along busy bus lines.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:26 PM

40 posts, read 133,268 times
As a student at UC you get free Metro bus service and UC bus schuttle service. You should be able to get to wherever you need to go without a car.

Shuttle schedules (http://www.uc.edu/af/facilities/shuttle_services.html - broken link)

go Metro - Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority

Old 05-15-2008, 11:24 PM

710 posts, read 3,049,264 times
If you don't do drugs, Cincinnati is quite safe. don't let the suburban mindset that permeates this forum frighten you.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:25 AM

74 posts, read 282,116 times
Yea there are some racists, but those of us who are sane (and there are quite a few) are perfectly good people to hang out with. While it is a somewhat more condensed city, it has much to offer as well as some of the most affordable living you're likely to find anywhere. In most parts of they city, you'll only have trouble with crime if you're an idiot.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:55 PM

Nice.....thanks for the feedback. It sounds like alot of what I'd heard/read was a bit overblown.
I've lived in "transitional" areas for a while and if you stay aware of the spacecases, it's easy and fun to be in the mix.
I remember alot of steep hills (so this would squash my interest in biking around) and crazy streets where I got lost, but it all works itself out.

----Does the city overall seem pretty conservative? Not like mega-church conservative, but more like resistant to new ideas or change.......or are there pockets of strangeness or radicalism? Are there any radical bookstores or throwback hippie areas? I'm not really into this stuff, but it gives the city a more interesting diverse flavor. --------------------

Old 05-17-2008, 08:17 AM

27 posts, read 106,152 times
To be honest, Cincinnati is a place where you go to a party and no one talks to you, because you're not from around here and they don't know you. They ask where you went to school, and they mean "which private Catholic high school."
Sad but true. It's a tough place to make friends.
As for funky areas, there is Clifton (somewhat) and Northside. Of course they may not share quite the same character as what I just described, because they have a higher proportion of newcomers, liberal-minded people, and others who don't fit in the established social structure.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:08 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,724,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZero View Post
To be honest, Cincinnati is a place where you go to a party and no one talks to you, because you're not from around here and they don't know you. They ask where you went to school, and they mean "which private Catholic high school."
My wife and I established a lot of relationships right off the bat. I think it's your personality. If you want friendships there are plenty of people here to meet, if you don't then don't expect them.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:00 PM

Default That's no problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZero View Post
Sad but true. It's a tough place to make friends.
As for funky areas, there is Clifton (somewhat) and Northside. Of course they may not share quite the same character as what I just described, because they have a higher proportion of newcomers, liberal-minded people, and others who don't fit in the established social structure.
That insight is very helpful, thank you. And, it sounds alot like what is said about Saint Paul, MN where I'm from. I'm pretty solitary so this isn't really a huge deal-breaker. But as long as there's a "progressive" area with also a few malcontents/aging college students thrown in, it sounds tolerable. I keep uncovering things that I'm really curious about, and it all serves to enrich and further my curiosity (the failed subway system, the Jerry Springer connection, the Reds and Bengals, and maybe also the town's status as a has-been American center). Of course all of this is seen from a distance, but it does look like a good place. Definitely not East Saint Louis or Flint, Michigan or North Saint Paul. Thanks again for the response(s).

Old 05-18-2008, 09:24 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,139,912 times
icewater...if you like to bike to places or work I know a lot of people who do that. There are quite a few groups who rally at City Hall to make more bike routes city wide. Just thought I would hit that note for you. Also, I worked for a company about 8 years ago that received a lot of transfers from California and Connecticut and they LOVED Cincinnati and even after lay offs from the company, they stayed here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati