Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2016, 07:20 AM

33 posts, read 76,694 times

Advertisements

I know I am not alone in thinking about our country's economy, and would like to share some ideas (would also like to hear yours). Regarding local manufacturers, what was said when the GM Norwood plant vacated it's location? Was the writing on the wall clear enough? And how about P&G and the plans to ship portions of their manufacturing to other countries? Why is this necessary? Has the worker population dried up?

In this vast world of ours there is room for manufacturing in every country and I am a strong believer in taking care of our own. What is needed in the US can be produced in the US. What is needed in China can be produced in China - win win all around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 10:02 AM

236 posts, read 320,072 times
Macroeconomics is extremely complex. For a major economic power's stated goal to be a net zero import/export... that would be economic suicide. I want to keep jobs at home as well, but what you are suggesting is not realistic unless we are ok with having a much lower standard of living.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:29 AM

3,871 posts, read 3,160,333 times
Free and Fair Trade can only exist between two or more countries if the countries involved have the same standard of living and environment protection laws. If that does not exist then the country with the lower standard of living and or lower concern for it environment will have an advantage over the country with the higher standard of living and or environment protection. What you end up with is labor arbitrage and or environmental arbitrage.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:39 PM

24 posts, read 22,314 times
Default Out sourcing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJLundy View Post
I know I am not alone in thinking about our country's economy, and would like to share some ideas (would also like to hear yours). Regarding local manufacturers, what was said when the GM Norwood plant vacated it's location? Was the writing on the wall clear enough? And how about P&G and the plans to ship portions of their manufacturing to other countries? Why is this necessary? Has the worker population dried up?

In this vast world of ours there is room for manufacturing in every country and I am a strong believer in taking care of our own. What is needed in the US can be produced in the US. What is needed in China can be produced in China - win win all around.
The selling out to of out manufacturing companies to give our jobs to other countries is epidemic in this country. Though it's part the companies and the government, the companies are looking for the lower wage and lower cost to product their product.

The government is no help either, the taxes and taxes along with federal requirements, are killing the businesses in this country. If they would let the free market operate and stop taxing them out of business. Maybe we this country would be in better shape.

I am not in manufacturing I am in technology I would say 100% of the IT people I have to work with inside and out my company there mostly employed by foreign visa workers. I know too many people including myself that are under paid and have to do multiple roles. Due to the fact that there are either out sourced to other countries and contracted visa workers.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:53 AM

236 posts, read 320,072 times
Yes, we should all work for $2.50 an hour and be happy. A complete free market in today's globalized economy means the utter destruction of the middle class and extreme poverty for the masses.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:41 PM

17 posts, read 19,037 times
Cheap labor means a select few of us who profit from your labor get to live like kings.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:59 AM

When candidate xyz running for political office says he or she will renegotiate trade deals or have stronger enforcement of the rules of a trade pacts to help the American worker shows that either they are lying to placate the public or they do not have fundamental understanding of why these pacts are bad for the American worker. These free trade deals are not bad because they were negotiated badly or lack of enforcement of rules, they are bad because free and fair trade can only exist between two or more countries if the countries involved have the same standard of living and environment protection laws. No amount of renegotiation or enforcement of rules can alter that equation. Dishonesty and or the lack of fundamental knowledge on the most important economic issues of the day in such candidates are not exactly reassuring qualities for the economic future of this country.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:38 AM

6,345 posts, read 11,120,470 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

The USA has a mixed bag in regards to the standard of living of its trading partners. Some have a comparable quality of life while others like Red China and Mexico definitely do not.

At this point a company like P&G is free to negotiate its own deals with any country willing to listen. Same goes for any company in the USA looking to expand operations in a foreign country. Until we lower the cost of doing business in this country or some kook tries to eliminate Free Trade altogether and demand Domestic companies only do business in this country, we have to live with the system as it exists right now. Not saying it is good because clearly it is not and ultimately hurts own own country but it is what it is.

In 1980 we were still the biggest exporter of goods and services to the world and had a nice trade surplus. Today we are not even close to having a trade surplus.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
When candidate xyz running for political office says he or she will renegotiate trade deals or have stronger enforcement of the rules of a trade pacts to help the American worker shows that either they are lying to placate the public or they do not have fundamental understanding of why these pacts are bad for the American worker. These free trade deals are not bad because they were negotiated badly or lack of enforcement of rules, they are bad because free and fair trade can only exist between two or more countries if the countries involved have the same standard of living and environment protection laws. No amount of renegotiation or enforcement of rules can alter that equation. Dishonesty and or the lack of fundamental knowledge on the most important economic issues of the day in such candidates are not exactly reassuring qualities for the economic future of this country.
Further on the point about rather a candidate for political office is dishonest and or lacks fundamental knowledge on why these free trade pacts are bad. Free and fair trade can only exist between two or more countries that has the same standard of living and environmental protection laws. You either withdraw from these deals or expect to keep seeing labor manufacturing relocate to low wage labor countries overseas. Renegotiations does nothing to change that equation. A candidate whose business dealings consistently had his products manufactured in these low standard of living labor countries because of the comparative advantage these countries offered is not ignorant of why these deals are bad. By not offering a genuine solution that corrects this problem just shows disingenuity and dishonesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati