Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 03:35 AM

5 posts, read 23,174 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Cincinnati in May to start an internship that will last until about October. Having never been to the city before, I was wondering if I could get some advice on the best places to live.

I'm 22, single and will have just graduated from college. I'm pretty much just like any other college guy. I take my job seriously, I like to have a good time and I enjoy being around other people my age.

The internship will have me working at Great American Ballpark most days.

I don't have to live across the street or anything from the park, but within a reasonable distance is nice. I'm open to absolutely any and every suggestion or tip because, like I said, I don't have any knowledge of the area.

As much information as you can give me would be great. Also, are there any Web sites I could look for this type of information?

Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 04:59 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,561,839 times
You'll find a lot of threads on this forum. Since you're not just working downtown, but actually on the riverfront downtown - Kentucky (there's a pedestrian bridge) - Covington or Newport would be a real possibility for you.

Otherwise in Cinci proper, the hipper places to live would be Mt. Adams (pricey, but pretty cool), Oakley (a little younger hipper than Hyde Park), possibly Mt. Lookout (anyone comment on the nightlife?), and Northside. OTR (Over the Rhine) is being redeveloped some and is supposed to have some great music joints, but OTR is also considered to be one of the more crime ridden areas..

Good luck to you! Welcome to the area..

(by the way, all the suggestions I listed were either in Kentucky (Newport/Covington) - or neighborhoods in Cinci proper. The suburbs are okay here, but if you're working downtown and you're not buying (just renting during your internship) there's no real reason for you to commute into the city..

Old 01-08-2008, 05:56 AM

245 posts, read 1,274,102 times
If you live here, you can walk to work every day. You can also get plastered after work and not have to drive home.

The Phelps (http://thephelpsapartments.com/index.asp - broken link)

Old 01-08-2008, 06:03 AM

245 posts, read 1,274,102 times
Check out sublets around UC which is 10 minutes from downtown. Students are always doing co-ops so you might find something furnished. The UC campus area is really the only place you're going to find a critical mass of people your age. You might have to split your time into two sublets with summer being the easier time to find one. But then you'll probably meet more people this way as well.

CraigsList:

craigslist: cincinnati, OH classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

OH AND check out Stratford Heights this place might be perfect for your situation. I know a lot of students who live here and they all dig the place. See if they'll rent to you with proof of student status at your college, and if not consider signing up for "a class" or whatever to be considered a student (ask for the minimum student status requirements).

:: Stratford Heights :: Cincinnati, OH :: StratfordHeights.com ::

Old 01-08-2008, 08:17 AM

710 posts, read 3,049,264 times
There are plenty of great apartments downtown. 4th and plum, St. Xavier, The gramercy, the greenwich on the park, groton lofts, the lofts at shilito place. you can go to Towne Properties Official Home Page

Old 01-08-2008, 10:23 AM

41,995 posts, read 75,295,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdh02 View Post
The internship will have me working at Great American Ballpark most days.
How fun will that be? I can't really add much to what anyone else said, but if it were me and I could afford it, I'd live downtown, in Mt. Adams, or in Newport. Clifton would be another possibility.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:08 AM

156 posts, read 631,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
How fun will that be? I can't really add much to what anyone else said, but if it were me and I could afford it, I'd live downtown, in Mt. Adams, or in Newport. Clifton would be another possibility.
She's right on - also check out Covington. If you are living downtown, I'd go with newport or covington instead of actual downtown (cleaner, less chance of being shot, more twenty something singles).

Old 01-08-2008, 11:18 AM

5 posts, read 23,174 times
Default more q's

Cool. Thanks for the help so far.

How affordable is downtown living? And what about the other places you've mentioned (Northern KY, other suburbs)? Will be a brand-new graduate, so won't necessary be rolling in the money.

I've heard a lot about living in northern KY. Exactly how feasible is it? Would it, at least in some parts, be closer and more reasonable than living in a Cincy suburb?

Thanks.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:02 PM

62 posts, read 298,395 times
Default New to Cincinnati: some helpful links!

bdh02-
Congratulations on the new job and move to Cincinnati. I don't think you mentioned where you'll be moving from, but I think you'll find Cincinnati a very nice place to call home. My wife and I moved here from New Jersey about a year ago, and we like it just fine so far.

In terms of living across the river in Northern Kentucky: very feasible. You really CAN just walk across one of the bridges (Roebling, for example) and into downtown. People go to the games this way all the time. You could ride a bike (or drive, take the bus, etc.). It's a very accessible downtown, with alot to offer -- minus the congestion and traffic jams of more densely populated cities.

Traditionally, east side of Cincinnati = white collar, west side = blue collar, but there are plenty of exceptions to this unwritten rule. Figuring out how much you can afford and what is most important to you are good first steps. Example: while it's easy to find great restaurants and nightlife downtown, it's not as easy to find a regular old supermarket. There is a Kroger (the local chain) in Over-The-Rhine, but I've never been there so I couldn't tell you how good it is. Findlay Market is downtown, too (also in Over-The-Rhine), but that's not as realistic an option for day-to-day shopping. None of that might matter to you, however, because you might want to eat out every night -- so consider that stuff first.

Below are some links I hope you'll find useful. Best of luck and welcome to Cincinnati!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Space 513.com: (Cincinnati area code = 513) Your Guide to Cincinnati's Best Restaurants, Entertainment and Attractions - Space513.com

Official City of Cincinnati site: City of Cincinnati -Live & Work

CincinnatiHome (information about many of the neighborhoods mentioned above, including some virtual 'tours' -- some of it is dated, but still applicable): CincinnatiHome - The City's Home Address

Downtown Cincinnati.com: Downtown Cincinnati Incorporated :: Main

New to Cincinnati:
A fairly new blog all about your situation: people who are new to Cincinnati! New to Cincinnati

Official City of Covington site:
City of Covington, Kentucky

Official City of Newport site:
:: City of Newport, Kentucky ::

Old 01-08-2008, 12:37 PM

710 posts, read 3,049,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyUK View Post
She's right on - also check out Covington. If you are living downtown, I'd go with newport or covington instead of actual downtown (cleaner, less chance of being shot, more twenty something singles).
the "less chance of being shot" statement is ridiculous. Last year there were 0 homicides in downtown cincinnati.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati