Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 11:09 AM

120 posts, read 237,940 times

Advertisements

Looking at moving next year, working right across Columbia Pkwy from the municipal airport (so, east Hyde Parkish). Family of 5, probably 6 by the time we leave 2 years later (although we hope it'll turn out to be longer).

We homeschool and the laws are friendly in both Ohio and Kentucky, but are slightly less in-your-family's-business in Kentucky, so we are considering taking on the bridges for dh's commute.

He tends to go to work on the later side (closer to 9), which I know guarantees traffic, and then 5:30/6 on the way back, again, isn't a great time on the roads. Trying to get a feel for just how bad it is, though. Miles-wise, if we get a place in Fort Thomas or Covington/Newport...one of those places right near the interstates, that would be a 15 minute commute without traffic. Are we looking at doubling commute or worse?! If so, we'll just focus search in on the Cincy side, but I'd prefer a place less metro with a large-ish fenced yard.

Any neighborhood recommendations welcome. We are very conservative, so that plays a role, too...often the neighborhoods recommended on CityData are the more liberal ones, in my experience.

Thanks, all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 02:30 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,173,118 times
What's your budget?
What type of house are you looking for?
How much land (does "large" mean 1/4 acre lot or 10-acre hobby farm)?
Is transit / walkability an important factor?
How close would you like to be to major shopping areas?
Any particular aspects you like about your current location that you would like to replicate in Cincinnati?

You've given a lot of good info off the bat. Close to Lunken, more conservative atmosphere.

I will say Covington / Newport probably wouldn't be ideal for your family given the requirements. Places that would be in a 30-min commute radius include:
- Anderson
- Milford
- Batavia
- Hyde Park
- Terrance Park
- Maderia
- Newtown
- Ft. Thomas
- Ft. Mitchell
- Loveland

So that's a lot of places. If you are willing to provide some more info we could narrow it down better.

Good luck!

Old 08-05-2014, 07:49 PM

Thanks OHKID,

What's your budget?
Renting, $1000-1500

What type of house are you looking for?
3-4 bedrooms, preferably with a family room or basement. Nothing fancy.

How much land (does "large" mean 1/4 acre lot or 10-acre hobby farm)?
Half acre at the largest, probably less. We really prefer open grass, due to bad experiences with pests when living in a forested area. Fully fenced backyard. This or a park basically right across the street.

Is transit / walkability an important factor?
Transit is nice, for sure, but more as a back-up for a day when I need the van and DH needs to work, since we are single car family. But usually we just stay home, hence the desire for a yard.

How close would you like to be to major shopping areas?
Close enough to drive to the grocery store and back in 20-25 minutes.

Any particular aspects you like about your current location that you would like to replicate in Cincinnati?
We're in a very quiet neighborhood, so that's great. Currently a townhouse, but it doesn't snow here...a garage would be nice.

Nice thing is that schools don't matter, but safety is big since we'll be at home without a vehicle most days.

Thanks!

Old 08-05-2014, 08:37 PM

Of course! Happy to help.

Here are my recommendations off the bat. Considering that you guys are a one-car family, I'm figuring a more walkable atmosphere would be ideal. If you could sacrifice the yard, I think this place would be an excellent fit given your criteria:

Riverwalk Flats & Rowhouses - Milford - OH 45150 - Zillow (says three-bedroom units are available)
One, Two and Three Bedroom Floor Plans (sample 3-br w/ Garage)

Why? It's brand new, right in the heart of conservative Milford, along the scenic Little Miami River and its nice bike trail. Shopping, restaurants, the public library, coffeehouses... all a relatively short walk. Also right on a popular bus line (popular enough that planners are considering replacing it with light rail). Here's the walkscore:
32 Water St, Milford OH - Walk Score

Eastgate Mall (with lots of big box stores around it, along with the new Jungle Jim's International market) is about 10 minutes away. Our luxury mall, Kenwood, would be about a 15-20 minute drive, most of it across Indian Hill.

Otherwise, here's some places with yards that you might like and meet your other requirements:
Mariemont: 4246 Blaney Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45227 is For Rent - Zillow (more liberal than the other choices, as in "YUPpie liberal")
Anderson: 6106 Stirrup Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45244 is For Rent - Zillow
Maderia: 6822 Esther Ln, Cincinnati, OH 45243 is For Rent - Zillow
Batavia: 4487 Dogwood Dr, Batavia, OH 45103 is For Rent - Zillow (transportation might be an issue)
Erlanger: 3507 Concord Dr, Erlanger, KY 41018 is For Rent - Zillow

Good luck!

Old 08-05-2014, 08:38 PM

So, pretty much, we're BORING. And totally fine with that, so no need to be convinced that some area will have more options for nightlife or dining. We go to the movies about once a year.

The main concern is commute. If DH is working typical 8/9-5/6 hours, where can we get a safe headed rental with a 15 minute commute? Does needing to cross the bridge in/out of NKY guarantee longer than that? If so, we'll stick to somewhere inside the 275 on the east or northeast side of Cincy.

Thanks! Sorry, I never say things clearly the first time...always have to edit.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:41 PM

^and just saw your most current post.

275 bridge should be ok for a normal commute, 471 would be a nightmare because they will probably be doing some construction / tolling / etc. to Brent Spence (which carries I-71/75) soon. I would think you could go across the 275 bridge and not budget too much extra time for the commute, which should make a lot of communities that are right on 275 in KY reasonable.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:45 PM

Ooh, and a great point, there: closer to a good library, the better!

I'll definitely check out Milford and the other areas you suggested. Nice thing is, we've got plenty of time to lurk on the forum!

Old 08-05-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
^and just saw your most current post.

275 bridge should be ok for a normal commute, 471 would be a nightmare because they will probably be doing some construction / tolling / etc. to Brent Spence (which carries I-71/75) soon. I would think you could go across the 275 bridge and not budget too much extra time for the commute, which should make a lot of communities that are right on 275 in KY reasonable.

We've got our timing just a bit off, huh?

Old 08-05-2014, 08:57 PM

^Looks like we do haha. Oh well.

Other posters should come by soon and have some good insight. Wilson513, who knows a lot about Hyde Park, in particular should offer some good advice. Many of the other posters are more downtown / city limits oriented, just as an FYI. I normally am too, but I've done suburban living basically my entire life so I think I understand the perspective a family like yours in general would have.

Either way, good luck! This week is finals week for my summer college classes so most likely I'll be on here more than I should be if you have any questions haha.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:05 PM

Fort Wright?

Hotpads has a place on Williams Creek Way, more than I'd like to pay, but still doable. I don't know how to make a link, but that's kind of on the "fancy" side of a good fit as house goes, but not sure of the area.

In contrast, though, the great old houses in Mt Lookout with stained glass, pocket doors, and the big walk up attics are really attractive to me. DH will demand certified lead abatement, though, and I get the feeling Cincy doesn't do that the way Boston does. Correct me, please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: