Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 04:44 AM

82 posts, read 238,791 times

Advertisements

Trying to determine best area to relocate to....and am wondering what most people think of when they hear the name of the town, and what you know about the following areas......anything you can add is most helpful........(I know these are not necessarily close to each other and employment is not an issue....but would like to know anything anyone can add)

Milford?

Williamsburg?

Lebanon?

Morrow?

Maineville?

Oregonia?

Waynesville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 05:08 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
Lebanon: Population somewhere in the neighborhood of 15,000 (haven't looked it up recently - likely a bit higher)

Small independent town (county seat of Warren County) - emphasis currently (and seemingly for the last many decades) on the tourist trade with a main street featuring many antique shops along with a historic hotel.

Has everything one technically needs (Nice Kroger Marketplace, two other groceries, numerous gas stations, two dry cleaners, vacuum store, cell phone store, walmart, Target nearby (couple miles away in S. Lebanon), Home Depot, Rural King, Lowe's nearby (S. Lebanon), Kohl's nearby (S. Lebanon), a few moderate restaurants (Patriot, Docs, Golden Lamb, Gourmet Asian, Acapulco), and several fast food choices, numerous hair/nail salons, doctors/optician/dental offices, Small local branch of area hospital (Bethesda Arrow Springs) and a pretty decent school system, a gigantic YMCA, and some personal fitness studios.

Fairly conveniently located from a commuter perspective to either the Cincinnati or Dayton corridor, being located along Rt 63/123 which is a direct East (to I-71) or West (to I-75).

Lots of recreation in the area (but that goes for all of Warren County truthfully) - Ft. Ancient, Little Miami bike trail, Kings Island, the Beach, the Zip Line, numerous county parks, including ARMCO (with fishing).

Still feels more like an old city of its own than a true suburb of either Cincy or Dayton, however much of the newer housing around town is likely filled by people commuting other places to work (I live in Lebanon, work in W. Chester).

There are also several bigger festivals that draw people to the town (Blues Fest, AppleFest and Carriage Parde).

Another Poster on this forum - ScottSW(?) lives in Lebanon and can probably give a more detailed explanation.

As far as the others you've listed ---

Oregonia is just a collection of a few houses, so you'd be doing any sort of business/shopping elsewhere.

Maineville has a little business district, but most of its growth is new neighborhoods and some shopping centers out of the downtown area - as a result (to me) it feels more suburb-y.

Waynesville definitely does not feel suburb-y and its downtown is very focused on ANTIQUES and handmade items (furniture, etc..). I would think its even more dependent on tourists that Lebanon, and it seems to have slightly less in the way of normal town-type businesses. (I.E. there is no daycare listed in Waynesville if you do a google search).

Morrow - tiny at the bottom of the river valley. Again, not sure how much of a town there really is left, but I know there are a few businesses.

Up until now - Lebanon is by far the largest of the towns you've mentioned, as such it has more "city-like" options as far as shopping/doing business. Also, all of these places are quite near Lebanon, with slightly differing levels of connectedness to the main highways. (Waynesville would be furthest from Cinci, slightly longer commute)

Milford - hmm. I looked at it briefly when I was looking to move to the area. Small town, but seems to have new business on the edge (Walmart, Quaker Steak and Lube, etc..). In my mind, its not far from Eastgate, so I suppose that would be the main business corridor. I could be totally wrong on that though. I would think Milford is a little bigger in size, though not sure if its as big as Lebanon.

Williamsburg (?) - no idea. Sorry, haven't heard of it.

Well this should get the ball rolling - others who have known the northern exurbs longer than I will be able to provide better/more specific info.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:09 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
Milford?

Quaint river town. Wooded hills

Williamsburg?

Where?

Lebanon?

Main Street America, old inns, history, chocloate. Old houses

Morrow?

Banjo Music. The Hills have Eyes. A long line of decrepit wood buildings. River Rats.

Maineville?

Where

Oregonia?

Nostalgia for The 1970s. Back to the Land. Scenic & quaint. Bikes & Hikes.

Waynesville?

Antiques. Hills. History. Food.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:03 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Williamsburg - small village in Williamsburg Township Clemont County near East Fork Lake. Population 2010 was 2490.

Milford - old river town next to Little Miami River in Hamilton and Clermont Counties. Quaint old downtown with most of the newer businesses and development east of the city along the highways towards I-275. Population 2010 was 6700.

Morrow - old small river town along Little Miami River in Salem Township Warren County. Population 2010 was 1188. Seems to be stuck in a time warp. I have detected very little change since the 1950s when we passed through it on the 3C highway going to Washington Court house to visit relatives other than the old wood structures downtown continue to decline.

Maineville - rapid suburban sprawl with little business of any kind. Strictly bedroom community struggling to keep up with rate of school expansion, Little Miami Schools.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:06 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosgreat View Post
Trying to determine best area to relocate to....and am wondering what most people think of when they hear the name of the town, and what you know about the following areas......anything you can add is most helpful........(I know these are not necessarily close to each other and employment is not an issue....but would like to know anything anyone can add)
Quote:
Milford?
Suburb / small town. Quaint. A little country.
Quote:
Williamsburg?
I think of the neighborhood in Brooklyn
Quote:
Lebanon?
The latest in sprawl, but also with a cool old town
Quote:
Morrow?
I have seen this word on an exit sign.
Quote:
Maineville?
"Drive till you qualify"
Quote:
Oregonia?
Country
Quote:
Waynesville?
Sauerkraut festival! Working class town. Some great old buildings.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:18 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
All small country towns, the largest being Lebanon and Milford.

Lebanon is huge in comparison to the others; I lived there for awhile and it's an odd mix of country snobs, Kentucky transplants, people looking to escape the big city but then complaining that the small town was so backward, and a sprinkling of small-town "characters." I was thrilled to see that St. Francis DeSales had the need to build a new sanctuary; when I lived in Lebanon, Roman Catholics were pariahs.

Milford is a former river-rat town that's used the river as an asset and has refashioned itself into a pretty nice place to live. It, like Lebanon, is a typical small town with a variety of people. It's an easy commute to Cincinnati via U.S. 50, and Metro has a route out to Milford.

Williamsburg is another river-rat town at the eastern edge of Clermont County. It's still a very small town, with not much in the way of suburban development quite yet. Well-known for the periodic failure of its wastewater treatment system (Caveat: Do not go swimming in East Fork Lake without checking water quality reports first).

Morrow is yet another river-rat town (seems to be a theme here ... ) about on par with Williamsburg, except that Williamsburg is nicer. Home of Valley Vineyards winery, which isn't that good, either.

Maineville is a little crossroads town that's seen a lot of suburban development up U.S. 22 over the years.

Oregonia is not even really a proper town, just a post office on the river.

Waynesville is uphill from the river, saving it from being a river-rat town (like Corwin). Populated with born-and-bred residents and escapees from Dayton, with a big emphasis on its history and the antiques trade. Very good town library.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:47 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosgreat View Post
Trying to determine best area to relocate to....and am wondering what most people think of when they hear the name of the town?
Where is the other thread you started asking basically the same question?

Old 03-20-2013, 11:59 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,702,997 times
Milford?

A pleasant small town suburb.

Williamsburg?

Way out there.

Lebanon?

Horse farms. Insular.

Morrow?

Banjo music sums it up. White trashy. Poor. Lots of real estate bargains on the old main street.

Maineville?

Basically, this the Landen Post Office. Most of the Maineville/45039 zip code is Landen.

Oregonia?

The river bikeway. The Oregonia Hillclimb motorcycle event. For whatever reason, Oregonia is a biker magnet, especially with the Little River Cafe, which gets taken over by bikers in nice weather.

Waynesville?

Antiques.

---------------

People are adding texty explanations of each town, which I don't feel like adding to. These one liners are the emotional reactions and associations with each town that most people in the tri-state have.

One thing - Oregonia. Is there REALLY a hippie/back to the land element out there? I just don't see it. When I've been on the bikeway I've had passing cars throw bottles at me from the road, so I tend to not think highly of those locals. Mostly when I am around there I see po white folk and McMansions, the usual rural Ohio social dichotomy. Gun racks or Hummers. I have yet to witness a high IQ/voluntarily simple lifestyle contingent anywhere in Ohio much less around Warren county.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:17 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Small town, country, redneck and were all my rich friends lived in high school...

Old 03-22-2013, 05:59 AM

224 posts, read 376,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Another Poster on this forum - ScottSW(?) lives in Lebanon and can probably give a more detailed explanation.
Ohiosgreat, feel free to PM me with any Lebanon questions you might have. I also have lived in Milford and am familiar with the other towns on your list so will be able to provide some perspective if you'd like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati