Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,918 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are new to the area and looking for a house to rent. We found one online in Mt. Healthy and would like to know what this area of town is like? Clean, safe, would you rent there?? Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 10:58 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lforlisa View Post
My husband and I are new to the area and looking for a house to rent. We found one online in Mt. Healthy and would like to know what this area of town is like? Clean, safe, would you rent there?? Thank you in advance!!
Overall, I would rate Mt Healthy as an OK neighborbood. But they are having their difficulties. The school district is fighting to keep their head above water. Depends upon what your needs are. If you do not yet have kids, then I would say OK you have several years to evaluate the surrourndings. If you have school age kids right now I might be a little more concerned.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:29 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,621 times
It's a section by section call when speaking about that town ... so near where?

Old 10-31-2012, 04:23 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,541,771 times
Mt Healthy is a neighborhood on a steady decline. The Mt Healthy of today is nothing like the Mt Healthy of 1970, and I have seen the deterioration accelerate since the early '90s. Don't get me wrong, people aren't being killed and mugged on every corner, but the business district has become rather dowdy, and the new residents that have come into the area are much less prosperous than the last generation. It's sketchy.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:35 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
Mt Healthy is a neighborhood on a steady decline. The Mt Healthy of today is nothing like the Mt Healthy of 1970, and I have seen the deterioration accelerate since the early '90s. Don't get me wrong, people aren't being killed and mugged on every corner, but the business district has become rather dowdy, and the new residents that have come into the area are much less prosperous than the last generation. It's sketchy.
I agree. I would not advise to buy. However, if you are going to rent it may be a place to start out. So the business district is rundown, as long as you feel relatively safe there so what. If you can locate a house to rent you feel comfortable with, take it. It will give you a foundation on how to approach property around Cincinnati. It will be a barometer on what you need to do to consider a purchase.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:02 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,837,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
You base decline on their Small little business district? What proof do you have that the people that are moving in are bringing in less value? Last i see of the place is there more homes than apartments or condo's. So people who are buying the homes are bringing in less income for the city? I have not heard that it was on fiscal watch.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:22 PM

865 posts, read 1,471,842 times
I will second what KjBrill said. As long as you don't have to deal with the schools then Mt. Healthy should be OK. It is bordered by some pretty sketchy areas though, so make sure you get a good feel for the area before you commit to anything.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:00 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
At this point I think we all want to know of which section of Mt Healthy you inquire.
The business district along Hamilton Ave may be "dowdy," but a Greek restaurant opened there earlier this year. Astute merchants do their homework before launching operations, and the proprietors must've liked what they saw.
Like probably everywhere, Cincinnati has its "desirable" sections and those which are less so. Realtors and landlords will often get "creative" with their listings in order to draw more prospective owners or tenants. They'll say that their property is in a nice(r) neighborhood than it really is. Sometimes the location will be given as "Hyde Park, near" for example, or the "near" will be left out. With that in mind - the Mt Healthy school district comprises not only the village itself but also some unincorporated township areas nearby. One of these areas, south of Compton Rd and west of Daly and regarded more as part of Finneytown (different schools), has gotten very rundown. Most of the houses (generally ranch-style) were built in a rush after WWII and are showing their age. While some are owner-occupied and kept up nicely, quite a few are Section 8 rentals and there are vacant dwellings to be found here and there. Though far from out of control, crime in this area has gone up.
North of Compton and east of Daly is the section known as Lexington Heights, where the physical characteristics are similar to the enclave I just mentioned but the neighborhood is in better shape. The main street serving it (Meredith Drive) also runs for a goodly distance on the other side of Daly Rd. Another locally important artery thereabouts is Adams Rd. Meredith and Adams are both flanked by a mishmash of single-family houses and apartment/condo complexes.
The older "village" section bisected by Hamilton Ave consists of larger and older homes on relatively small lots.
Demographically Mt Healthy has definitely slipped in terms of mean income, from "solid" middle-class to not so solid. This is the inevitable result of people with means departing an area when the houses go out of style and the quality of the public schools declines. The part south of Compton Rd I mentioned, along with Lexington Hts, has been populated largely by AA (African-American) persons since the '70s while the remainder of the vicinity is comfortably diverse. No mass exodus of any particular segment of society has taken place nor is one likely to.
Moussaka and baklava notwithstanding, my take on Mt Healthy is that it's seen better days but probably won't get much worse or better. OP - was your initial attraction based on convenience to work/school?

Old 11-01-2012, 01:06 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,859,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
At this point I think we all want to know of which section of Mt Healthy you inquire.
The business district along Hamilton Ave may be "dowdy," but a Greek restaurant opened there earlier this year. Astute merchants do their homework before launching operations, and the proprietors must've liked what they saw.
Like probably everywhere, Cincinnati has its "desirable" sections and those which are less so. Realtors and landlords will often get "creative" with their listings in order to draw more prospective owners or tenants. They'll say that their property is in a nice(r) neighborhood than it really is. Sometimes the location will be given as "Hyde Park, near" for example, or the "near" will be left out. With that in mind - the Mt Healthy school district comprises not only the village itself but also some unincorporated township areas nearby. One of these areas, south of Compton Rd and west of Daly and regarded more as part of Finneytown (different schools), has gotten very rundown. Most of the houses (generally ranch-style) were built in a rush after WWII and are showing their age. While some are owner-occupied and kept up nicely, quite a few are Section 8 rentals and there are vacant dwellings to be found here and there. Though far from out of control, crime in this area has gone up.
North of Compton and east of Daly is the section known as Lexington Heights, where the physical characteristics are similar to the enclave I just mentioned but the neighborhood is in better shape. The main street serving it (Meredith Drive) also runs for a goodly distance on the other side of Daly Rd. Another locally important artery thereabouts is Adams Rd. Meredith and Adams are both flanked by a mishmash of single-family houses and apartment/condo complexes.
The older "village" section bisected by Hamilton Ave consists of larger and older homes on relatively small lots.
Demographically Mt Healthy has definitely slipped in terms of mean income, from "solid" middle-class to not so solid. This is the inevitable result of people with means departing an area when the houses go out of style and the quality of the public schools declines. The part south of Compton Rd I mentioned, along with Lexington Hts, has been populated largely by AA (African-American) persons since the '70s while the remainder of the vicinity is comfortably diverse. No mass exodus of any particular segment of society has taken place nor is one likely to.
Moussaka and baklava notwithstanding, my take on Mt Healthy is that it's seen better days but probably won't get much worse or better. OP - was your initial attraction based on convenience to work/school?
This is definitely not part of Finneytown schools but a part of Springfield Twp. that is still Mt. Healthy schools. All in all, avoid Mt. Healthy schools but there are some decent streets in the area to settle down in. You just have to be really particular.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:12 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,541,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
You base decline on their Small little business district? What proof do you have that the people that are moving in are bringing in less value? Last i see of the place is there more homes than apartments or condo's. So people who are buying the homes are bringing in less income for the city? I have not heard that it was on fiscal watch.
I base that on having had family in Mt Healthy for decades, and now they have all moved out because they no longer felt comfortable living there, not to mention the fact that they practically had to give their houses away since there's very little interest in moving there by people of means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati