Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 06:40 AM

71 posts, read 69,981 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone , I am looking for an apartment 1-2BD , unfurnished and pet friendly for max 1,000$ in a safe area that s quiet near or not very far from UC ( i am planning to get a car after i come) . I am moving in with my wife . I heard the best areas as far as my priorities are Hyde park , Oakley and Mt. Lookout and also some areas in Clifton .

I am looking thru CList.com , apartments.com and etc....It s better to be in a compound or building not a condo or house because of safety also .

Lastly , Is Cincy really a hot spot in crime rate as it s being reviewed ?

Help me out guys soon please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 06:53 AM

4,497 posts, read 6,250,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everglore View Post
Hello everyone , I am looking for an apartment 1-2BD , unfurnished and pet friendly for max 1,000$ in a safe area that s quiet near or not very far from UC ( i am planning to get a car after i come) . I am moving in with my wife . I heard the best areas as far as my priorities are Hyde park , Oakley and Mt. Lookout and also some areas in Clifton .

I am looking thru CList.com , apartments.com and etc....It s better to be in a compound or building not a condo or house because of safety also .

Help me out guys soon please.
The areas you mentioned are fine. Clifton Gaslight will largely fit the bill for proximity to UC's facilities, safety, affordability, and being able to walk to Ludlow that has a very charming business district. Hyde Park is very nice and fits the bill as well. It's further away from campus, so if you don't have a car you can anticipate spending commute times on the bus each day. From Gaslight you could walk, or bike, take the UC shuttle, etc. Best of luck.

Last edited by TomJones123; 09-01-2012 at 07:16 AM..

Old 09-01-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
You'll get mixed review on this question. Usually those who live in the suburbs don't want to deal with urban living. Those who live in areas they feel safe condemn other safe areas as less safe. Those who live in areas considered unsafe by some can't figure out why their neighborhoods are considered unsafe. Most folks who actually live in really bad neighborhoods in Cincinnati likely don't take the time or have the resources to post on CD forums anyway.

And so it goes.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:04 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,682,522 times
From your description I think the gaslight area of Clifton would be your best bet. It's very walkable and most of what you'd need would be close by - the grocery, library, restaurants, shops, etc. Check out Graeter's for ice cream and Skyline Chili for Cincinnati chili, a weird, spicy, runny chili that some of us love, (get a 3 way and cheese coney if you want to experience local flavor). Best wishes.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:04 AM

71 posts, read 69,981 times
Thank you guys for the feedback but please check this link as it s said that Clifton near Ludlow is high in crime rate .... I hope not though

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Besides which is more safe and decent east or west or north Cincy ?

Last edited by Yac; 09-03-2012 at 03:39 AM..

Old 09-01-2012, 08:13 AM

22 posts, read 38,303 times
I can't speak to other areas of the city, but the Fairview side of Clifton, where I grew up and am moving back to, has had a crime spike over the last decade or so. People get mugged, cars are broken into, a few rapes once in a while, someone tried to break into one of my mom's houses last month, etc. When I was growing up, the area was much safer and the kids played in the street. I don't know exactly why the crime has spread upward from Over The Rhine nor why the police have had such little luck controlling it, but it can be an issue if you are worried about things like that. I'm certainly not afraid to walk down the street there, but I will be reinstalling the house alarm system and getting a car alarm, things I never felt I needed in NYC or L.A. I think the difference for me in terms of feeling safe is that in a larger city, if you're the victim of a crime, there will almost always be a witness whereas in a smaller place like Cincy, there likely won't be anyone to see or help you if you're getting mugged when you go out to your car to grab something at 3am. Other people should have better ideas about other neighborhoods, but the area around U.C. isn't so hot as far as random crime goes though the Gaslight side of Clifton is safer than the Fairview side.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:17 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,822,255 times
Quote:
Thank you guys for the feedback but please check this link as it s said that Clifton near Ludlow is high in crime rate .... I hope not though

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Besides which is more safe and decent east or west or north Cincy ?
If you will be working near the hospital complexes surrounding UC, then live there. The areas mentioned will be very safe. I see little reason to be looking further out, at least initially. Obviously avoid the high crime areas you have identified, but realize this is an urban environment which changes significantly in just a few blocks. If you are uncomfortable with that then hit the suburbs, but my advice is stay close to where you will be working until it proves to not be to your liking.

Last edited by Yac; 09-04-2012 at 05:41 AM..

Old 09-01-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoContest View Post
but the Fairview side of Clifton, where I grew up and am moving back to, has had a crime spike over the last decade or so.
As you are well aware, there is Fairview starting at Ravine and going up Warner to Fairview Ave and even around Fairview Park. That section of the neighborhood is quite safe and is one of the nicer areas of CUF.

Then there is Fairview (same hood but divided by a steep Hillside) down on McMicken. This area of Fairview has fallen on hard times. Especially as OTR is cleaned up. It's pushed a lot of prostitution into what used to be a nice area.

I think it's important to make the distinction, I am not sure which area you are referring to. I assure you, if it's the former, the area is fine. I live in CUF.

If you are trying to say that that Clifton Heights and Fairview are bad areas me and my five year old son disagree strongly.

Last edited by TomJones123; 09-01-2012 at 08:39 AM..

Old 09-01-2012, 09:14 AM

22 posts, read 38,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
As you are well aware, there is Fairview starting at Ravine and going up Warner to Fairview Ave and even around Fairview Park. That section of the neighborhood is quite safe and is one of the nicer areas of CUF.

Then there is Fairview (same hood but divided by a steep Hillside) down on McMicken. This area of Fairview has fallen on hard times. Especially as OTR is cleaned up. It's pushed a lot of prostitution into what used to be a nice area.

I think it's important to make the distinction, I am not sure which area you are referring to. I assure you, if it's the former, the area is fine. I live in CUF.

If you are trying to say that that Clifton Heights and Fairview are bad areas me and my five year old son disagree strongly.
Yeah, my mom lives on Warner at Fairview and she had an attempted burglary last month. Her husband's car has been broken into. The last time I was in town visiting, a man was arrested directly across the street. I'm glad you feel safe there, but to call it a safe neighborhood is simply inaccurate.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoContest View Post
but to call it a safe neighborhood is simply inaccurate.
If you think Warner and Fairview is a bad area you are delusional.

So, let's see. A person arrested. And an attempted burglary. And a car broken into. Sounds REALLY scary.

BTW - Hyde Park is plagued by burglaries and car break-ins. Claiming CUF is an unsafe area is a myth that has been dispelled so many times on this forum board. But go ahead and try.

Anywho. Don't know what this has to do with the OP's original queries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati