Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 11:17 AM

4,497 posts, read 6,249,169 times

Advertisements

Went over to Camp Washington Chili last night and smashed a 5 way. I think they may be my new favorite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 11:20 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,820,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Went over to Camp Washington Chili last night and smashed a 5 way. I think they may be my new favorite.
They have been around a long time, so they must do something right.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
They have been around a long time, so they must do something right.
I love the vintage atmosphere in there too, really cool. I was at Arlin's and nearly went into the Skyline at the corner of Clifton and Ludlow when my friend suggested we do CW instead. I've had their chili through the rive thru before. But going in and getting the whole experience was a blast. And damn, it was some really good chili. Also ate a coney. My friend had three coneys. Enough cheese to kill a billy goat and that's the way I like em too.

No slight on Skyline. The one at Ludlow has a great atmosphere but their chili is watery.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:51 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,262,058 times
Quote:
Went over to Camp Washington Chili last night and smashed a 5 way.
My kind of guy.

Three-ways are for wimps! The spouse always said that if anyone ever offered a 10-way, I'd try it.

I think I've been to every chili parlor in town but Camp Washington. *shaking head*

Old 08-17-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My kind of guy.

Three-ways are for wimps! The spouse always said that if anyone ever offered a 10-way, I'd try it.

I think I've been to every chili parlor in town but Camp Washington. *shaking head*
Camp Washington is run down, not a bad area, just needs some investment. But, please - at all costs, next time you come through stop in and give them a try.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:47 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,820,876 times
Somebody who has a better memory than me needs to chime in here and list all of the either single or a few location outfits in the Cincinnati Chili business. I know Camp Washington is among the oldest. Quite frankly I have not been to Camp Washington since I was a student at UC and that is over 50 years ago.

Here in Mason we have of course both Skyline and Gold Star. One Skyline is in a former steakhouse restaurant on Beach Boulevard. It is one of the largest Skylines I have ever been in. But even closer to me is Blue Ash Chili, so that is a far as I have to go. Blue Ash has their version of Cincinnati Chili. When I was younger I would go to their original location in Blue Ash and toss down a five-way along with a ham&beef doubledecker. Can't do that anymore, in fact I usually have half of the ham&beef doubledecker left over for the next day. My wife likes their fish dinner, some deep-fried cod fillets plus coleslaw and mac & cheese.

Someone with a good memory chime in here and give us a list of the independent or few locations versions of the Cincinnati Chili. I go back to Empress downtown but don't know if there are any left. I also do not know how many Dixie Chili locations there are in NKY.

I remember the Marathon Inn in Silverton years ago, again around 50 years. They also had the Cincinnati Chili fare, the whole kit and kaboodle. They also had the to-die-for double-deckers - ham&beef (or #11) being at the top of the list. I know it was operated by a Greek family, they all seemed to be inter-related. I don't believe the current successor, the Silverton Cafe has any resemblance to the original.

Those of you who get around a lot more or just plain have a better memory, give us a list of the smaller Cincinnati Chili establishments around the city and also what else they served. As I have said, I remember the establishments but the dates may be getting a little fuzy.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Camp Washington is run down, not a bad area, just needs some investment.
Camp Washington has plenty of possibilities. I used to work with a church youth group there, and it's a pretty decent neighborhood; its misfortune is being sandwiched between I-75 and the railroad yards, and the industry that goes with both of them.

I've just never stopped at the chili parlor! Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Somebody who has a better memory than me needs to chime in here and list all of the either single or a few location outfits in the Cincinnati Chili business.
Chili Time in St. Bernard
Demetrios IV in Madison Place
Pleasant Ridge Chili
Price Hill Chili
Blue Ash Chili
Dixie Chili on Monmouth Street in Newport

I know there's an Empress location or two in Kentucky, but not sure where.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:20 PM

Price Hill Chili is till in business. I am seldom in Price Hill though, but I need to make a special trip if need be to try them out. A friend of mine has a nephew who recently graduated from Elder and was on the football team. He told me it's the place to be on game day/night. I will be sure NOT to go there when there is a game.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I will be sure NOT to go there when there is a game.
Good plan. Go there on a Sunday morning and get a chili omelet. Food of the gods.

Go to Pleasant Ridge Chili after midnight (after the bars close is even more fun) on a weekend to observe an entire subculture, LOL. Eat cheese and chili fries, or cheese and gravy fries. Avoid lying down for at least 12 hours, because you're guaranteed to get heartburn.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Go to Pleasant Ridge Chili after midnight (after the bars close is even more fun)
I think I was part of the subculture last night, being sauced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati