Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 05:56 PM

405 posts, read 890,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadineparksc View Post
Hi i am from milwaukee and will be relocating to Cincinnati Ohio I am looking for a safe place to live without loud noise during the night. I will be working on VIne street at the VA hospital can you recommend somewhere that is close by but safe and queit
Hyde Park is 15 minutes from the VA hospital without needing to drive on any highways. It is safe and many parts of it are very quiet.

There are parts of Clifton, the "gaslight" district, that are less than 5 minutes from the VA hospital and also safe and quiet, slightly more crime than Hyde Park.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 06:43 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Avondale, the neighborhood immediately north of the VA, is sketchy at best. And Corryville to the south is no prize either. But once you cross the city line on Vine St at Mitchell Ave you're in St Bernard and suddenly a lot changes. The crime rate is considerably lower. The streetscape is straight out of the 1950's: Roger Bacon High School, an unremodeled Dairy Queen, a family-owned bakery, etc. Kids hang out on porches and glide around on bikes just like in more suburban locales. St Bernard is largely blue-collar, without a "gritty" feel. It has no UNaffordable housing, with many apartment options along (but not limited to) East Ross Ave. The Vine/Ross intersection is anchored by two 1960's urban-removal strip malls which each contain a small supermarket - no long treks to buy groceries. Better still, Cincy's atrocious transit system can actually work for you in St Bernard. The 78 bus serves Ross Ave and Vine St, and can deliver you to/from the hospital in less time than it'd take to drive and then have to find a place to park.

Moving on north along Vine, you'll go through the independent village of Elmwood Place and then be in Cincinnati once more - in the Carthage neighborhood. Each community continues to offer plenty of decent housing in numerous duplexes and small apartment buildings, but both are in visible steep decline along the main drag. Vacant storefronts far outnumber the occupied ones. There are plenty of corner grocers, hair/nail salons, and junk shops but not much else. Cincinnati has many areas like this where the principal traffic arteries look terrible but the side streets stay nice. I wouldn't strongly recommend using the bus in Carthage or Elmwood during the night, but neither would I rule out someone's living there. Take a look on a sunny afternoon by poking around the tree-named streets in Elmwood (Maple, Lombardy, etc) and the street running parallel to Vine a block west which is known as Highland in Elmwood Place and Fairpark in Carthage. You'll get a neighborly vibe while enjoying the shade from all the mature trees. Raggedy Vine St could just as easily be a mile or two away instead of a block or two.

"Everybody" loves Clifton and Hyde Park - what's not to like - and rent rates reflect that. Your housing dollar would go farther in the three Vine St areas I've brought up, as well as in Hartwell (Carthage's neighbor to the north.) There wouldn't be any sushi bars or Scandinavian craft shops to walk to, but you'd mostly only hear crickets at night.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:01 PM

6 posts, read 12,821 times
Hi. I have lived in Cincy both while at school at UC and also now...I'm moving because of business. This is probably old news now for you...but have you checked into the Newport Kentucky side of the river? This is a safe neighborhood around Monroe Street for women...and it is a walk to the Levee where there's some amount of fun. The houses are nice and it is an up and coming place.

Mount Adams is pricey, but I have several (30 something in age) friends who live there...pricey but safe and fun in comparison to Hyde Park which is pricey and safe but not always worth the money. Mt. Adams is more international and artsy during the weekdays....with easy access to everywhere and you could even walk to many places in town via the steps and twisty passageways.

Good luck!

Old 06-15-2011, 05:03 PM

6 posts, read 12,821 times
ps......stay AWAY from anything to do with Walnut Hills...Clifton is always iffy...but a great spot of course...just put on your street smarts!

Old 06-15-2011, 07:37 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,541,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleDownToEarth View Post
ps......stay AWAY from anything to do with Walnut Hills...Clifton is always iffy...but a great spot of course...just put on your street smarts!
I can't begin to tell you how many things are wrong with this post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati