Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:08 AM

12 posts, read 39,950 times

Advertisements

Our family will be relocating to madon ohio this summer. I was looking for information on great family communities to purchase a home in. We have two boys in elementary school so we arelooking to move into a community with many children. I would appreciate any input. We were looking at Carmelle Community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 11:16 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,823,654 times
If you can afford Carmelle, you can afford just about anything in Mason. Unless you are set on brand new, I would look into the Pine Run Subdivision which wraps around the western end of the Mason Golf Center. Very centrally located and I have seen some great buys there through either foreclosures or just depressed values.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:25 PM

Thank you so much. I will look into that subdivision. Are you familiar with the elementary schools? Should we pick a community located near a certain school. My son will be in 3rd grade. I was wondering if mason heights was any different then western row?

Old 03-04-2011, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julhuggs View Post
Thank you so much. I will look into that subdivision. Are you familiar with the elementary schools? Should we pick a community located near a certain school. My son will be in 3rd grade. I was wondering if mason heights was any different then western row?
I don't believe you will see much of difference. Both schools are 2nd and 3rd grade only. 4th, 5th and 6th grades are in the Intermediate School on Mason Montgomery. Years ago when the dictrict was much smaller Mason Heights was 1st, 2nd and 3rd, and Western Row 4th, 5th, and 6th. I had children attend both. Far as I can tell the buildings have been maintained and updated to serve their current role.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:54 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,500,022 times
Lucke Homes, one of Mason's oldest and best builders builds in Carmelle

Robert Lucke Homes - Cincinnati Home Builder Since 1953 (http://robertluckegroup.com/residential/carmelle.asp - broken link)

They also build in Cherry Brook, Chestnut Hill, and Weatherstone and maybe others.

Here are the school choices. They are all on Lucke's web site:

• Mason Heights Elementary (1-2) - 513.398.8866
  • Mason High School - 513.398.5025
  • Mason Intermediate (4, 5, 6) - 513.459.2850
  • Mason Middle School (7-8) - 513.398.9035
  • Moeller High School for Boys - 513.791.1680
  • Mt. Notre Dame School for Girls - 513.821.3044
  • St. Suzanna's - Private (Catholic) - 513.398.5826
  • Ursuline Academy for Girls - 513.791.5791
  • Western Row Elementary (1, 2 multi-age, 3) - 513.398.5061

Old 03-04-2011, 06:26 AM

Not to be an alarmist, but if I were buying a home in Mason today I would definitely consider the practicality of walking to school unless a family member is available for drop-off and pickup duty, which considering the school hours is a real pain. Since the Intermedicate, Middle, and High Schools are all located in close proximity along Mason Montgomery this may be doable.

Lakota is a much larger district than Mason and spread out over quite a bit more territory. Lakota has already announced the reduction of busing next school year down to the state minimum. Most people don't realize this means anyone within 2 miles of school walks, and high school is no busing. I haven't quite figured out the high school part yet, how can you deny a high school student over 2 miles from school riding a bus?

Mason has not yet announced such a plan, but I do not think they are far from it. Many speculate it is a ploy to place the maximum amount of inconvenience and burden on the parents so they pass the school levies. I feel there is some truth to this. But I also feel the voters are digging their heels in and saying enough is enough. I believe Mason was wise in their decision to not attempt another levy this May election, as I believe it would again fail.

I walked to school all 12 years of my primary and high school life. It was not 2 miles, but it was over 1 mile. As I think back, it was quite an experience. I and a couple of others were on the outermost boundary. As we would move towards school and pick up people at the various intersections we became quite a large group. Returning home we started through the business district. I am sure the business owners dreaded our descending on their 5 & Dime, drug store soda fountain, etc. But in reality we were a significant part of their business in those days, even with our meager purchases.

Overall, I would not be concerned locating in Mason. Why?, plain and simple because it has a high percentage of affluent residents. There are some rough times ahead school wise, but I would place our chances of success aqainst just about any district in Ohio.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:01 AM

Are you thinking that I should reallyfocus my search on mason then since their schools are the Best? Also should I consider communities closer to the schools? Is that what you were Suggesting? If so, what communities can u suggedt. What about cherry hill

Old 03-04-2011, 09:28 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,500,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julhuggs View Post
Are you thinking that I should reallyfocus my search on mason then since their schools are the Best? Also should I consider communities closer to the schools? Is that what you were Suggesting? If so, what communities can u suggedt. What about cherry hill
I assume you are referring to Cherry Brook as I indicated above. i don't think there is a Cherry Hill in Mason.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:26 AM

Cherry Brook is a nice subdivision, adjacent to the high-end Heritage Club. But I consider this the northwest guadrant of the city.

I would consider one of the older subdivisions, but good homes, such as Lexington Park at the southwest corner of Tylersville and Mason Montgomery, well within walking distance of the schools.

I am just saying Mason has good schools, but I believe there are some rough days ahead from a financial standpoint. Districts with less to work with are going to be even worse off.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:53 PM

Thank you so much. Are the older subdivisions much closer to Everything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati