Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:05 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times

Advertisements

I am starting this to ask what products you miss the most from the old independent bakeries, whether they were downtown or in a suburban setting.

I will kick it off by mentioning tea rings. Haven't had a decent one since I can't remember when. Obviously it was in the shape of a ring, but there were many variations. Some had crushed nuts and a simple sugar frosting on top, others had tasty ingredients folded into the ring.

I want to hear your commentaries on this subject, what you miss the most about the old independent bakeries and/or where you can still find the real stuff.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:25 AM

I will kick this off with my own commentary. Back in the early 60s, my wife and I bought our first house in Madeira. Shortly thereafter, a Swedish family moved in across the street from us. I went over to greet them, and the guy about crushed my hand with his grip. Now I am not a small guy, but this man was strong. I asked him what he was pursuing and he replied he had leased a local store and was starting a bakery. Frankly, I thought he was nuts. At that time, Madeira was a sleepy bedroom community of middle class wage earners and I felt they would not support a hometown bakery. Boy was I wrong.

Lars was one of the most dedicated workers I ever knew. Of course he worked all night to have the products ready in his store the next day. And what products they were! When he made butter crust bread, it was real butter. Everything he made was fantastic in taste. But you had better consume it quickly, as he had no idea of what a preservative was, thank God.

I should remember Lars last name, but frankly can't. This is what I am speaking of when I want you to comment on the bakeries from the past you most enjoyed. If you feel there are some today who offer the same attributes, let us know so we can check them out.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:49 PM

120 posts, read 259,113 times
Mrs. Alison's Cookies in Norwood. My mom grew up in Norwood and these were wonderful! They were open until about 2001. I think the company was bought by the lady who owns Adrian's in Findlay Market but I'm not sure she is making the cookies still.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:55 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
Busken Bakeries bought the recipe for schnecken from the gone-but-not-forgotten Virginia Bakery, but somehow something's not the same in this Christmas treat now. And no one's making the twist donuts coated with cinnamon from the Virginia which were SOOOOOO good when reheated.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:23 PM

311 posts, read 1,753,767 times
Default Cincinnati bakeries of yesteryear

Avon bakery: "pig ears" (aka schweinohren), a diminutive variant of the better-known elephant ear.

Priscilla's bakery: butter cookies.

Daily Donuts (formerly Daisy Donuts): Virginia reels.

K. Lenhardt's (well, not a bakery, but they made their own): waffle cookies.

Buchheim's: kichel.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:25 AM

Do any of you remember the old Excel (SP) Bakery on Race St. near Shillito's? I may have the spelling wrong, and if you put Excel into a search engine you of course get thousands of hits on some sort of Microsoft Excel so I have not been able to narrow it down.

I just remember taking the bus from Madeira to downtown, we are talking early 1950s, with my mother for shopping. After visting all of the stores, McAlpins, Pogues, and Shillito's of course, we had to prepare for going home. This required a stop at the Temple Delicatessan on 7th street to pick up the pastrami, tongue, corned beef and other delicacies. This was followed by a stop at the bakery on Race. In addition to the aforementioned tea rings, if the shopping trip was a prelude to the holidays we had to pick up a Christmas Stollen. Since a stollen has to age, this was no problem.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:50 AM

OK, the man who owned the bakery in Madeira was not Lars, but Hans, a little difficult for me to tell the difference. And the last name was Jansen. But the next generation has opened a new bakery in Mason called Sweet Sensations on Snider Rd. It is sweet and it is a sensation, my wife found it when they first opened up and we have been regulars since. If you desire some truly delictable fare try them out.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,167 times
Does anyone remember where the Avon Bakery was located in the middle of the 20th century?

Old 05-09-2015, 08:53 PM

311 posts, read 1,753,767 times
Default Avon Bakery whereabouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmarks View Post
Does anyone remember where the Avon Bakery was located in the middle of the 20th century?
Yes - there was a small strip development on the west side of Reading, just north of Section. The bakery was there from the early/mid-1960's. Some contributors have mentioned an earlier location - maybe south of the Belvedere?

Old 05-10-2015, 04:04 PM

10 posts, read 11,356 times
I remember the old Virginia Bakery, no-one touched them. I also remember an Excel I believe it was downtown which mom always drug us to before getting the bus back to Madeira. My brother, Gary and I were the bearers. Since I was the oldest I got the heavy stuff. He got the pastry goods from the bakery. When you get as old as I am, those memories just come back and clutch you. Growing up in Cincinnati, no better place to be, either when I was a kid or today over 50-60 years later.

I now have two grandchildren going to UC. What a great feeling, more family roots in Cincinnati. I may have never lived in the City proper, but I am Cinicnnatian all the way. Thought I would just throw it in there for some food for thought as to what exactly is a Cincinnatian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati