Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 06:53 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,513,280 times

Advertisements

Is this out of Harry Potter or what?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 09:51 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,987,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Is this out of Harry Potter or what?
Dunno, not a Potter fan. But personally I think it's a pretty darn average looking building.

Even though the school's in the only Cincinnati neighborhood worth living in--and therefore of the highest possible prestige--I'm not sure the kids are so safe there. Even if they avoid most of the illegal drugs and booze.

Check out the photos at

Mix of causes likely in Summit collapse

Old 08-04-2011, 11:27 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,513,280 times
I suppose this is a "pretty darn average" building for a Hyde Park landmark at least. It is, of course, across the street from the Triple C Ranch which gives it a lot to live up to. Still, Harry Potter would be quite at home here. And, the lucky folks in the Grandin/Elmhurst areas, in addition to their lovely views can have the nanny walk the younger kids to school. Shopping for the area is limited to O'Bryonville that one can walk to, but if one could find a perfect place to send the kids, at least the younger ones, this would be it.

Interestingly, The Springer School (the best LD school in the Midwest) is also across the street from The Summit. From where I took this photo this morning, The Springer School is immediately behind me and the CCC is immediately to the left. Elmhurst is directly behind the school. A cozy neighborhood.

Her is another photo showing the new access road installed and the guard house (foreground right), tennis courts to the left. This place is run a lot like St. Xavier High School in that there is intense supervision and discipline. Of course drugs plague all schools, but I'd guess The Summit is pretty much on par with St. Xavier.

I saw the cross country team this morning and what a place to run: past the CCC up and down the Grandin Edwards hills, around the golf course and back down Madison Road back to the Summit. Its a nice three mile run about.

Last edited by Wilson513; 08-04-2011 at 11:55 AM..

Old 08-04-2011, 12:02 PM

171 posts, read 355,023 times
Looks nothing like Harry Potter. If only it was stone and had turrets and was up on a hill....It just looks like a school...

fyi...here's Hogwarts (Harry Potter):
Summit Country Day vs. St. Ursuline! Which one to choose?!-hogwarts.jpg

The school I think is impressive is St Rita's, although I must admit that I'm a huge fan of tile roofs, so that schools is gorgeous to me (along with Glendale Elementary).

Old 08-28-2011, 03:05 PM

5 posts, read 12,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how Walnut Hills is touted over and over. If everyone went there who is advised to it would be impossible to get in. It is apparently a good HS, but the ONLY ONE in the Cincinnati System? What makes it succeed while others fail? Is the admission testing so rigorous they are picking off the cream within the city?
I didn't go to Walnut, I went to SCPA, so I certainly don't think WHHS is the only viable option. I suggested Walnut because of the original poster's interest in schools with academic and athletic reputations / East side schools. I certainly believe that many schools in Cincinnati Public offer a good education. Likewise, not everyone who goes to Walnut succeeds or is academically oriented. I think its more about the effort the student puts in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati