Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 07:18 PM

563 posts, read 1,448,700 times

Advertisements

Problem number one for this amazing truck. It is the 2005 Dodge 2500 4x4 with the Cummins 6-cylinder turbo engine. It has 122,000 miles and today we were towing about 3,500 pounds and going up a ramp and the engine "burped" momentarily. It felt like it had a case of fuel starvation for a split second upon acceleration. What could be the problem? Fuel filter? Contaminated fuel? I figured I would get your input before seeing the dealer Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 07:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I wouldn't even worry about seeing a dealer or anyone else unless it happens again.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:25 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Aside from the issues of keeping up on routine service/maintenance/replacement of the filters ... fuel and air, these trucks had a known "problem" area with the hose clamps on the flex hoses connecting the turbo output. There was a "factory fix" update kit for awhile which included heavier duty clamps and improved high temp resistant flex hose material.

The updates I've seen were installed on the right side of the motor, down low, close by the oil filter area. Your truck may have had a momentary leak at this location as the turbo spooled up. Best to check all of these turbo output hose clamps for security and position on the hoses; if the flex hose/clamping blows out completely, you'll have almost no power, lots of black smoke, and a ton of "experts" telling you that you've "blown up" the motor or the injectors or something horribly expensive and inconvenient to fix. All it will take at that point is to re-connect the hose and clamp it securely to restore boost airflow to the motor, but once the hose/clamping is blown out ... the original hose tends to be fairly weak and will blow out again in short order under load. Best to keep a box wrench for the clamps in the glovebox for the day a clamp blows out ... you can't tighten these with a deep socket and an open end will slip around on the nut.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:29 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Aside from the issues of keeping up on routine service/maintenance/replacement of the filters ... fuel and air, these trucks had a known "problem" area with the hose clamps on the flex hoses connecting the turbo output. There was a "factory fix" update kit for awhile which included heavier duty clamps and improved high temp resistant flex hose material.

The updates I've seen were installed on the right side of the motor, down low, close by the oil filter area. Your truck may have had a momentary leak at this location as the turbo spooled up. Best to check all of these turbo output hose clamps for security and position on the hoses; if the flex hose/clamping blows out completely, you'll have almost no power, lots of black smoke, and a ton of "experts" telling you that you've "blown up" the motor or the injectors or something horribly expensive and inconvenient to fix. All it will take at that point is to re-connect the hose and clamp it securely to restore boost airflow to the motor, but once the hose/clamping is blown out ... the original hose tends to be fairly weak and will blow out again in short order under load. Best to keep a box wrench for the clamps in the glovebox for the day a clamp blows out ... you can't tighten these with a deep socket and an open end will slip around on the nut.
Also...if you run diesel in it for long periods and then get a tank full of bio it will eat the algae and run it into your filter.I'd change the filter VERY first thing before I even worried about it in the least.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:28 PM

Sunsprit - Thank you...that makes perfect sense. It burped again today, this time under slight acceleration on a flat road, pulling an empty tandem axle trailer. You could hear the turbo spooling down at that moment, just for a second. Hmmm...
Muleskinner - A relative owns a shipyard and has several diesel cranes, barges and tugboats. She keeps tons of the anti-algae stuff for use with the machinery. We don't have access to biodiesel (this is California, are you kidding? ), but with it being almost 5 years old, chances are there's something growing in the tank, right?

An inspection of the flex hoses and fuel filter changes are on the agenda. I'll keep you updated!

Old 01-24-2009, 09:22 PM

OK, we changed the fuel filter today and inspected the flex hoses. Tomorrow morning we wil be towing about 2500 pounds and travelling 170 miles round trip. I'll let you guys know what happens!

Old 01-25-2009, 07:12 PM

Well guess what? Not a single burp today! We went from 4200 feet of elevation down to 1000 and back again, pulling about 2500 pounds and the truck behaved beautifully. We still plan to have the dealer inspect the flex hoses and advise on any other things the truck may need.
Thanks!

Old 01-26-2009, 12:04 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
It is 'diesel wise' to keep filters clean and fuel dry.

In the winter, re-fuel before parking after an extended use, as fuel tank is warm (recirculated fuel) and condensation is very harmful. Diesel injection pumps develop HIGH pressure and don't tolerate water or running dry. It is a good idea to use a Non- Alcohol fuel conditioner (like Stanadyne) to lubricate pump, dry fuel, increase Cetane.

It is a good idea to put a new fuel filter on every fall, if use doesn't require more frequent changes. Fuel at a high volume dealer (like a truck stop) as Diesel fuel can attract moisture if it sits. Another good idea is to add a 'racor' or similar 'pre-filter' that has a clear fuel bowl, so you can see what you are feeding the beast, and see water accumulating.

The advice on checking the intake hoses is good advice to follow with a turbo engine.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
It is 'diesel wise' to keep filters clean and fuel dry.

In the winter, re-fuel before parking after an extended use, as fuel tank is warm (recirculated fuel) and condensation is very harmful. Diesel injection pumps develop HIGH pressure and don't tolerate water or running dry. It is a good idea to use a Non- Alcohol fuel conditioner (like Stanadyne) to lubricate pump, dry fuel, increase Cetane.

It is a good idea to put a new fuel filter on every fall, if use doesn't require more frequent changes. Fuel at a high volume dealer (like a truck stop) as Diesel fuel can attract moisture if it sits. Another good idea is to add a 'racor' or similar 'pre-filter' that has a clear fuel bowl, so you can see what you are feeding the beast, and see water accumulating.

The advice on checking the intake hoses is good advice to follow with a turbo engine.
Thanks! I do believe that changing that fuel filter should be at least an annual event and we will remember to pay special attention to that. Since where we live has a lot of dirt roads and dust, we do change the air filter about every 6 months or so. This truck is never sitting for more than a few hours, but we will be on the way to get some fuel conditioner anyway.
Personally, I am learning about diesel care and maintenance. I have always been about the gasoline. But having found and purchased a diesel Rabbit and with this truck, I am learning a lot!
Where the Dodge is concerned, it's just out of an extended warranty and prior to that, we simply sent it to the dealer and they did their thing.
If anyone has anything to add, please feel free. I don't mind the diesel education one bit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram