Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 02:13 PM

736 posts, read 524,320 times

Advertisements

Hi, My 1997 dodge ram with 140000 miles has been having some trouble lately, like when I try to accelerate up a hill it shakes and skimmies really bad but only when I'm in overdrive, if I take it out of overdrive it runs fine all the time. Also it's an automatic with a 318, I don't know what's wrong with it. It could be the spark plugs or maybe a converter soleniod. What do you think? and what are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 04:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
that could be a lot of things. With that many miles I'd see if the catalytic converter is bad, if never changed. If you thump it and hear rattling inside it's probably toast. You'd need a new one and at the sale time, best to replace the O2 sensors. Have you checked for codes? An OBDII code reader can be bought on E-bay for about $30.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:56 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.A.P View Post
Hi, My 1997 dodge ram with 140000 miles has been having some trouble lately, like when I try to accelerate up a hill it shakes and skimmies really bad but only when I'm in overdrive, if I take it out of overdrive it runs fine all the time. Also it's an automatic with a 318, I don't know what's wrong with it. It could be the spark plugs or maybe a converter soleniod. What do you think? and what are your thoughts?
What does your manual say about minimum speed for engaging overdrive??? I asume you have been up this hill without any problem.....in overdrive????

Overdrive sends the least amount of torque possible to the wheels, this may be a problem going up a hill.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:01 PM

The CAT is good because it just passed emissions, and my manual says nothing about min. overdrive speed. Although it only seems to happen around 50 to 55 mph, but any speed slower or faster it runs fine. I replaced the spark plugs and it seems to be doing better but I don't know if it will hold out.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:47 PM

80 posts, read 338,376 times
Quote:
i would check plug wires the way i do it is wait till its dark and spray them lightly with a spray bottle while its running and if you see a spark outside of the wire then they need to be changed haha

Old 04-03-2011, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 15,371 times
I would check the throttle position sensor... those are known for being problematic with shift around 50-55mph

Old 04-03-2011, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 22,658 times
Distributor cap and rotor.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:46 PM

I thought the distributor cap too but I replaced the spark plugs and wires and it seems to be better. Now when I accelerate up a hill the ac switches to the defroster which makes me think there is a vacuum hose leak.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
I thought the distributor cap too but I replaced the spark plugs and wires and it seems to be better. Now when I accelerate up a hill the ac switches to the defroster which makes me think there is a vacuum hose leak.
Do check that cap under the dark of night. My first guess would have been the wires. BTDT.

I finally got sick of dinking with the many issues of gas engines and went diesel. 97 is the perfect yr to nab the last of the 12v Cummins with the best injection pump. Just stay away from blocks with '53' ID castings.
Cummins #53 Block Info

Old 04-05-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Do check that cap under the dark of night. My first guess would have been the wires. BTDT.

I finally got sick of dinking with the many issues of gas engines and went diesel. 97 is the perfect yr to nab the last of the 12v Cummins with the best injection pump. Just stay away from blocks with '53' ID castings.
Cummins #53 Block Info

You everyone for the info, and keep it comming, and I'll check the cap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram