Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 06:08 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,449,280 times

Advertisements

For those interested, this site pulls together some very good resources on Preterism......Apocalypse One
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 07:05 PM

118 posts, read 177,710 times
Thanks. Looks good. I will have to look into it further. Always good to get a good preterist site.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:40 PM

162 posts, read 212,608 times
Here's some great resources on Preterism too:

Is partial preterism Biblical? What do partial preterists believe?

Excerpt:

Quote:
Those who hold to “partial preterism” believe that the prophecies in Daniel, Matthew 24, and Revelation (with the exception of the last 2-3 chapters of Revelation) have already been fulfilled and were fulfilled no later than the first century A.D.

However, the partial preterist view does not have good biblical support. Those who hold this view do not interpret these Scripture passages/books in a normal sense, but rather interpret them allegorically. Scripture should be read in a normal sense, taking into account the historical setting, the grammar, and the context of the Scripture in order to determine the meaning that the Lord intended.
What is the Preterist view of the end times?

Excerpt:

Quote:
Furthermore, preterism is entirely inconsistent in its interpretation of the book of Revelation. According to the preterist view of the end times, chapters 6-18 of Revelation are symbolic and allegorical, not describing literal events. However, chapter 19, according to preterists, is to be understood literally. Jesus Christ will literally and physically return. Then, chapter 20 is again interpreted allegorically by preterists, while chapters 21-22 are understood literally, at least in part, in that there will truly be a new heaven and new earth. No one denies that Revelation contains amazing and sometimes confusing visions. No one denies that Revelation describes some things figuratively. However, to arbitrarily deny the literal nature of select portions of Revelation is to destroy the basis of interpreting any of the book literally. If the seals, trumpets, bowls, witnesses, 144000, beast, false prophet, millennial kingdom, etc., are allegorical or symbolic, on what basis do we claim that the second coming of Christ and the new earth are literal? That is the failure of preterism—it leaves the interpretation of Revelation to the opinions of the interpreter. Instead, we are to read it, believe it, and obey it—literally and exactly.
Preterism! I Can't Believe It

Excerpt:

Quote:
I just cannot understand how anyone can follow a preterist line of thinking in light of current world events. As in many cases, pride is one of the most common reasons people begin following doctrinal error. They believe that they are part of a special group that has discovered a hidden truth. Never mind the fact that millions of people have joined them in supporting their folly.

Up until now, I've largely been ignoring preterism because it seemed equivalent to the Flat Earth Society. Well, I can't stand by and watch error run free, so it looks like I'm going to have to add preterism to the list of erroneous rapture views that I need to actively refute.
Questions on the Preterist View

Excerpt:

Quote:
You have to be very careful when discussing these things with Preterists. Many of them don’t abide by any established set of rules when (re) interpreting Scripture to conform to their view. Of all the views of End Times Prophecy, the Preterist view is the most difficult to reconcile with a literal view of Scripture. I personally find it an impossible task.
Preterism

Excerpt:

Quote:
In recent years a system of interpreting biblical prophecy known as preterism has invaded the church, bringing confusion and division to many congregations that have historically held to the future return of Jesus Christ. Promoted by popular radio teachers such as Reformed scholar R.C. Sproul, whose book The Last Days According to Jesus, advanced the moderate preterist position, preterism has made in roads into evangelical seminaries and stimulated public debates on Bible college campuses. Although most Christians have never heard of the teachings of preterism, its approach to prophecy diminishes the prophetic hope of the church while undermining the basis of the prophetic promises for Israel.
HAS BIBLE PROPHECY ALREADY BEEN FULFILLED? by Thomas Ice

Excerpt:

Quote:
Like many of the arguments presented by Preterists, they appear to have some initial merit when looked at by the Biblically uneducated, but upon closer examination prove to be without merit. Preterists falsely built upon the misguided assumption, that they attempt to "prove" from various proof texts, that Bible prophecy had to have its fulfillment within about 40 years of Christ's first advent. There are many implications, both theological and practical, that would require a major adjustment to the Christian faith if they are right. Since their arguments are incorrect, so are the implications that flow from such thought. Because of the recent spread of Preterism, pastors and teachers need to be prepared to defend orthodox eschatology from this attack. Those who believe that Christ came in A.D. 70 will certainly not be found looking for our Lord's any-moment return when He does rapture the church without any signs or warning before this blessed event. Are we looking back at the past or forward to the future? Maranatha!

Old 03-20-2015, 11:13 AM

3 posts, read 4,346 times
Default Were Christians under the Mosaic Law 30-70

I've been following this preterist stuff and find it most interesting. Sad to say I just came from a site, viewed only, who now rejects posting anything that has to do with the subject matter. Don’t understand why they can’t debate friendly and let the chips fall where they may. But they have the freedom to do what they like, so be it.

It seems that in the transition period from 30-70 from what I understand, quote me if I am wrong, Jewish Christian were under the mosaic law. Does anyone have some information concerning this issue since most believe the Law was done away with at the cross?

Old 03-20-2015, 06:47 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,534,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by before time View Post
I've been following this preterist stuff and find it most interesting. Sad to say I just came from a site, viewed only, who now rejects posting anything that has to do with the subject matter. Don’t understand why they can’t debate friendly and let the chips fall where they may. But they have the freedom to do what they like, so be it.
I am unsure of who was not debating friendly, but you can find that with people of every belief.

Quote:
It seems that in the transition period from 30-70 from what I understand, quote me if I am wrong, Jewish Christian were under the mosaic law. Does anyone have some information concerning this issue since most believe the Law was done away with at the cross?
The Jewish Christians were no longer under the Mosaic Law. It is clear some of them believed they were and as you say it was indeed a transitional period.

The non believing Jews were still under the Law, until the debt came due, which finished the Law, which I personally believe was more probably in 73AD instead of 70.

I just call myself a Christian, mentioning Preterism only brings hate against me.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:05 PM

3 posts, read 4,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
I am unsure of who was not debating friendly, but you can find that with people of every belief.

The Jewish Christians were no longer under the Mosaic Law. It is clear some of them believed they were and as you say it was indeed a transitional period.

The non believing Jews were still under the Law, until the debt came due, which finished the Law, which I personally believe was more probably in 73AD instead of 70.

I just call myself a Christian, mentioning Preterism only brings hate against me.

Welcome to the forum.
I know what you mean about labels! For sure name calling and intimidation goes against the words of our brother Peter.

1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear;

That's a new one on me, why 73 instead of 70 AD until the dept. came due. Are you suggesting a postponement of the NC for a 3 year period until the price was paid? Would appreciate the info!
Larry

Old 03-21-2015, 07:09 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,534,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by before time View Post
That's a new one on me, why 73 instead of 70 AD until the debt. came due. Are you suggesting a postponement of the NC for a 3 year period until the price was paid? Would appreciate the info!
Larry
No, I am only suggesting maybe the OC lasted a little longer than what most Preterists believe it did for the unbelieving Jews. Simply for the fact that the war didn't end until 73AD.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,531 times
I as a preterist, would like to suggest that most problems of interpretation of the text of scripture lies in "audience relevance" . The letters of the New Testament were written to living breathing people 2 thousand years ago. We need to be reading the NT as such. We are reading other peoples mail. Asking, what were they going through? What did the letter mean to them, then and there? There are great truths in these letters for us today but if we read them as written to us we pervert the text.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:47 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,176,671 times
Just what we need another " isim " in Our World to confuse man even further.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:54 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,033,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HushWhisper View Post
Just what we need another " isim " in Our World to confuse man even further.
No confusion. In truth, bringing clarity. Broadly, You're either preterist or futurist with respect to WHEN you believe the foretold events of biblical prophecy unfolded, or are yet to unfold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity