Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 05:59 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,869,900 times

Advertisements

For all believers in Jesus Christ:

What do you trust Jesus Christ to do for you?

As you list your expectations: you may quote one scriptural reference to each. I know there are more than one: but stick with the one you would lead with. Other posters may pick the other references to lead with.

This post is for a self-examination in regards to our faith in Jesus Christ.

May God cause the increase.

2 Corinthians 1: 18But as God is true, our word toward you was not yea and nay. 19For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was preached among you by us, even by me and Silvanus and Timotheus, was not yea and nay, but in him was yea. 20For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 06:23 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,996,360 times
I don't love my kids or my parents because of what they can "DO" for me......why would I love Jesus because of what he can "DO" for me?

Old 12-17-2009, 06:52 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,445,623 times
I trust Him to give me the patience, the words of wisdom to impart to my brothers and sisters, the courage, the will, the strength to endure....until He comes.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:40 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,890,153 times
I trust Jesus to do His role of my (our) great high priest, who daily makes intercession to God the Father in my (our) behalf (Romans 8:34)

Hebrews 4:14-16

14Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.

15For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

16Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need...

Amen!

Bud

Old 12-18-2009, 06:36 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,028,705 times
Jesus can do nothing for me that I won't do myself. He's a friend, brother and teacher. What more could a person ask for?

Old 12-18-2009, 08:17 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,219,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
For all believers in Jesus Christ:

What do you trust Jesus Christ to do for you?

As you list your expectations: you may quote one scriptural reference to each. I know there are more than one: but stick with the one you would lead with. Other posters may pick the other references to lead with.

This post is for a self-examination in regards to our faith in Jesus Christ.

May God cause the increase.

2 Corinthians 1: 18But as God is true, our word toward you was not yea and nay. 19For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was preached among you by us, even by me and Silvanus and Timotheus, was not yea and nay, but in him was yea. 20For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.
I trust Jesus The Christ to do something in and through me that I know I could never do myself.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I don't love my kids or my parents because of what they can "DO" for me......why would I love Jesus because of what he can "DO" for me?
1 John 4:19We love him, because he first loved us.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Jesus can do nothing for me that I won't do myself. He's a friend, brother and teacher. What more could a person ask for?
Romans 5: 7For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. 8But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. 9Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
I trust Him to give me the patience,..
Galatians 5:22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Philippians 1: 11Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

Quote:
the words of wisdom to impart to my brothers and sisters,
Matthew 10:18And ye shall be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles. 19But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. 20For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

John 16: 13Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. 15All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Quote:
the courage, the will, the strength to endure....until He comes.
I am not sure about "the will" part.

Colossians 2: 20Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, 21(Touch not; taste not; handle not; 22Which all are to perish with the using after the commandments and doctrines of men? 23Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

"Doing the best that I can" used to be the frame of mind when I was keeping my former commitment to follow Christ, but sense He has set me free from my double-minded state and that religious yoke of bondage of man, I have become totally reliant on the Lord Jesus Christ to help me live as His thus I live by faith in the Son of God. I trust Him to keep my eyes on Him as the Good Shepherd He is.

Jude 1: 24Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 25To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

Quote:
the courage, & the strength to endure....until He comes
Your quote modfied for the scriptures below:

1 Peter 4: 16Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf. 17For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God? 18And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? 19Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.

Most Bible versions would have those that suffer in continuing to do good, but the King James Bible has the "well doing" on the Lord in how we entrust Him to the keeping of our souls while we suffer so thereby we have peace in the Lord.

"Commit" does not always mean "I will" as some of the other versions have it: and a few do have it to mean to "entrust" but yet the emphasis is still on the believer to do good while they suffer.... whereas the King James Bible has the "well doing" on the Lord as showing how He would as He is the faithful Creator.

So in place of "will" is the love He has given me to follow Him wherein no man can boast.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I trust Jesus to do His role of my (our) great high priest, who daily makes intercession to God the Father in my (our) behalf (Romans 8:34)

Hebrews 4:14-16

14Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.

15For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

16Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need...

Amen!

Bud
Amen, Bud!

1 John 1: 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Thanks for sharing one of your expectations.

Feel free to list some others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity