Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 12:32 PM

177 posts, read 381,766 times

Advertisements

"But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but remain quiet. For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve. And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being quite deceived, fell into transgression,"

When we look further at Paul's teachings we see that the bishop/overseer is to be the husband of one wife (1 Tim. 3:2) who manages his household well and has a good reputation (1 Tim. 3:4-5, 7). Deacons must be "men of dignity," (1 Tim. 3:8). Paul then speaks of women in verse 11 and their obligation to receive instruction. Then in verse 12, Paul says "Let deacons be husbands of one wife..." Again, in Titus 1:5-7, Paul says, "For this reason I left you in Crete, that you might set in order what remains, and appoint elders in every city as I directed you, namely, if any man be above reproach, the husband of one wife, having children who believe, not accused of dissipation or rebellion. For the overseer must be above reproach as God's steward..."

May I know what you guys stand..??!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 12:36 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,497,027 times
in my own church, they already are. i will take the truth from anybody that will give it to me.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:38 PM

177 posts, read 381,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i will take the truth from anybody that will give it to me.
what do you mean..?

Old 08-22-2009, 12:38 PM

63,906 posts, read 40,178,831 times
The gender of our physical body has NOTHING to do with the status of our embryo soul (consciousness). ALL our bodies are the "Mothers" of our "embryo souls" spiritually maturing in the "womb" of our brains. Gender is irrelevant to our spiritual purpose and goal . . . any such cultural artifacts are stumbling blocks to our spiritual development.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:46 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,337,740 times
obviously according to the bible, women should not be pastors or elders

Old 08-22-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
obviously according to the bible, women should not be pastors or elders
That may be important to all Bibleans . . . but it is not relevant to all Christians.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:24 PM

51 posts, read 89,363 times
I believe, for the very reasons that you posted, that women should not be pastors or deacons. Men should be leading the flock. It is fine for them to teach Sunday School and things of that nature, although, personally, I feel uncomfortable teaching a Sunday School class with men in it because I feel that I am taking the authority over a man in that situation. I would prefer to either teach children or a class of women. However, that is just my personal feeling, but the belief about pastors and deacons is backed up by the qualifications listed in 1 Timothy.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor's Helpmeet View Post
I believe, for the very reasons that you posted, that women should not be pastors or deacons. Men should be leading the flock. It is fine for them to teach Sunday School and things of that nature, although, personally, I feel uncomfortable teaching a Sunday School class with men in it because I feel that I am taking the authority over a man in that situation. I would prefer to either teach children or a class of women. However, that is just my personal feeling, but the belief about pastors and deacons is backed up by the qualifications listed in 1 Timothy.
It is OK for you to exercise your preferences in that regard . . . but NOT to impose them on others of your gender who feel differently and are motivated by the Holy Spirit "written in their hearts." God alone knows who is called.

1 Corinthians 12:13-30

13For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

14For the body is not one member, but many.

15If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?

16And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?

17If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?

18But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.

19And if they were all one member, where were the body?

20But now are they many members, yet but one body.

21And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.

22Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:

23And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness.

24For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked.

25That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.

26And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.

27Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

28And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

29Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?

30Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

Old 08-22-2009, 03:00 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,583,417 times
It is all about order,because without order there is Chaos. This is not to say men are better than women because they are not,it is about a semblance of order that man shall have authority and it is stated in the Bible and the Bible is God's word.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:18 PM

51 posts, read 89,363 times
I would never impose my beliefs about teaching Sunday School on anyone. However, as for women being pastors and deacons, I and my church and denomintion, are absolutely unwavering. The Bible makes it VERY clear that women are NOT to be pastors or deacons.

The scriptures you have quoted here are talking about how we are to treat our fellow members of the church body. It is not talking about the undersheperds (pastors). It is talking about the flock and their gifts. It is not talking about offices or positions within the church. It is talking about gifts each member of the body adds to the church. There is a difference. When talking about the specific offices of pastor and deacon, Paul (who, by the way, is the same author of the scriptures you just posted) makes it VERY clear that those offices are for men and men ONLY!

1Ti 3:1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
1Ti 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
1Ti 3:3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
1Ti 3:4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
1Ti 3:5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
1Ti 3:6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
1Ti 3:7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.
1Ti 3:8 Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;
1Ti 3:9 Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.
1Ti 3:10 And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless.
1Ti 3:11 Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.
1Ti 3:12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.
1Ti 3:13 For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.

So, what then? Is Paul contradicting himself? I think not! For the Bible is infallible and has no contradictions. The only time we find contradictions is when we misinterpret scripture. You have to keep in mind that when Paul wrote the passage of scripture you quoted, he was writing to a group of people who were arguing about spiritual gifts. They were not arguing about gender or who should hold the office of pastor or deacon. They were arguing about spiritual gifts and which one was the most important which was causing the rifts in the church that Paul mentioned here. He is not talking about gender rifts, he is talking about them arguing over the gifts and basically causing separations in the church based on which gifts they thought made them a more "righteuos" person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity