Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 08:33 AM

309 posts, read 512,030 times

Advertisements

Having come from a Church of Christ denomination I had never heard the sinners prayer before and as I was teaching at a VBS of a nondenominational church and giving the ending speech for the evening I did an alter call that I was asked to do 3 kids got saved that night in the gym as we layed hands on him and prayed for him and talked to him about Jesus and if believed in Jesus and so on. However I guess my question is my cousin who was attending asked me why I didn't say the sinners prayer with all the kids and let them repeat after me if they wanted to be saved and the truth is I didn't know the sinners prayer and had never really thought much about it. I am not sure what way I stand as I looked for scripture in the bible, but didn't really find anything. How do you all believe in the sinners prayer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 09:17 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
I applaud you on showing good spiritual discernment I personally "gave" my heart to Jesus about 8 times in my youth

YouTube - Declaring War on The Sinner's Prayer (Paul Washer)

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 06-12-2009 at 09:35 AM..

Old 06-12-2009, 11:06 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
Having come from a Church of Christ denomination I had never heard the sinners prayer before and as I was teaching at a VBS of a nondenominational church and giving the ending speech for the evening I did an alter call that I was asked to do 3 kids got saved that night in the gym as we layed hands on him and prayed for him and talked to him about Jesus and if believed in Jesus and so on. However I guess my question is my cousin who was attending asked me why I didn't say the sinners prayer with all the kids and let them repeat after me if they wanted to be saved and the truth is I didn't know the sinners prayer and had never really thought much about it. I am not sure what way I stand as I looked for scripture in the bible, but didn't really find anything. How do you all believe in the sinners prayer?
I bolded the part of your post that should answer your question..If they want to be saved, repeating after you does not save them..Only Christ can do that..A person has to be bold enough, believing enough,yet humble enough to approach Him themselves and ask forgiveness..Believing in Him saves..not us

Old 06-12-2009, 11:11 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I bolded the part of your post that should answer your question..If they want to be saved, repeating after you does not save them..Only Christ can do that..A person has to be bold enough, believing enough,yet humble enough to approach Him themselves and ask forgiveness..Believing in Him saves..not us
I would rep you but you have too much already...

...on second thought, it is written that those who have will be given more...

Old 06-12-2009, 11:12 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,129 times
Quote:
You won't ever find it in the Bible, because it's not there. You should ask your cousin to show it to you, and maybe it will open his eyes once he sees it's not biblical.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:13 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Good answer. If any part of our salvation depended on another man, boy would we be in trouble!

Old 06-12-2009, 11:16 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
You won't ever find it in the Bible, because it's not there. You should ask your cousin to show it to you, and maybe it will open his eyes once he sees it's not biblical.
No it's not biblical, it's just a generic prayer that covers all the basics - but doesn't examine the heart from which it comes. It can be used effectively if the person is genuine and may not know how to publicly say what's in his/her heart...

...but then if they are genuine, do they need to?

Old 06-12-2009, 11:17 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,879 times
Quote:

I used to teach evangelism through the Evangelism Explosion program. In that program we were to "lead" them through the prayer. I would tell the people I witnessed to that it was not about the words--but it helped them to express their feelings in it. Now, I'm thinking that it probably wasn't the best way to do it.

My oldest daughter is 8 years old. I'm pondering that myself. I don't want to pray with her 1 time and tell her she's saved...but I do want to make sure she realizes that it's about her repentance and faith.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:58 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,926 times
The sinner's prayer must be of contrition.

Oh God! Save my soul! I believe that Jesus shed His precious blood to cleanse me of all unrighteousness, and to wash away all of my sins! And I believe that God raised Him from the dead. I am changing paths right now! Come into my heart, Jesus! Be my Master! Amen!

If you are sincere about that prayer of faith, then Jesus has washed your soul with His divine blood, and you are saved. By becoming a yielded vessel, Jesus will cleanse you of all your unrighteous ways. Look to Jesus, as your strength to walk Godly paths comes right from the throne of God through the blood of Jesus. The power is in the blood!

Old 06-12-2009, 01:06 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
sinner's prayer is like me cheating on my wife and I have my buddy in the room with us and my friend says to repeat these words to my wife? Do you think my wife would accept it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity