Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 11:17 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times

Advertisements

I found this to be relevant to my life and welcome your observations.

Go Here>>
Daily Bible Study - Peter and Paul

'But were the apostles Peter and Paul "pals"? They loved each other as Christians, they were solidly together as Christians, but they were not close friends (although they both did seem to mellow, when comparing their earlier writings with their later writings). That will come later, when all of the human "baggage" has been left behind. Until then, Peter and Paul, from what is written in the Holy Scriptures, had a relationship that was often strained and tense.'

Many times I am Peter--LOL--what a life he must have led. Then at other times Paul.
That is certainly a type of love that is 'misunderstood' and yet that is exactly the type of love that is at issue at this time.

So many parents are advised to let children 'Go'--teenagers who have diverse problems.

My brother was such an individual and he died last year at 55. If I told you what my mother and I went through because we loved him and simply would not and could not condemn him it would break your heart or ignite moral outrage. Or possibly some people are now capable of such a cold and clinical type of love that they would say he made his choices and as we know the wages of sin or death.

I don't think I will ever reconcile 'the wages of sin are death' with Christ's concepts. In general how do you manage the paradoxical nature of religion?

Your thoughts?

Last edited by TakeAhike; 01-31-2009 at 11:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 12:41 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,561,731 times
Quote:
I don't think I will ever reconcile 'the wages of sin are death' with Christ's concepts.
That is Christ concepts, have you not read Jesus parables. I know many won't agree with me but it can be very dangerous to go on feelings, the bible is the Word of God and always perfect. Just because you can't reconcile something in the bible doesn't mean it's not true.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
That is Christ concepts, have you not read Jesus parables. I know many won't agree with me but it can be very dangerous to go on feelings, the bible is the Word of God and always perfect. Just because you can't reconcile something in the bible doesn't mean it's not true.
Before we begin this communication I request that you take into consideration that I am still grieving my brother.

Surely you have lost someone you loved and can understand this.

Jesus Christ was at all times filled with compassion for HIS children as I am certain you know. None of us in the mortal realm can ever be that PERFECT--therefore we need at all times to have humility. Rarely do I see that in your posts, for what it is worth.

I think that is all I have to say to you. You have upset me and that was not necessary.

I may not be your kind of a Christian but I am very clear about the fundamental concepts of Christianity. C. S. Lewis would approve of my beliefs.

This is just exactly why so many people turn away from God completely.

Good day, Sir.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:50 PM

If I upset you then I am sorry, that was not my purpose only to give the truth. Did you want me to lie to you? how is that respectful? I have also lost my dad and it was very traumatic time of my life to the point of self destruct, I unlike you at the time was an unbelieving raging liberal. I envy you, you have the Holy Spirit to comfort you, I didn't.

Now that I am a fundamentalist, I realize why my father died of an agonizing death of cancer. I believe that my father had to die in order for his good for nothing, disrespectful, lazy son to be saved.

The truth is in the bible, it is His word and the truth and the answers are there, I feel for your loss and I will pray for you. All I could say is don't let your brother's death be in vain. God may be dealing with you through your brother's death.

God Bless

Old 01-31-2009, 01:51 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Jesus Christ was at all times filled with compassion for HIS children as I am certain you know. None of us in the mortal realm can ever be that PERFECT--therefore we need at all times to have humility. Rarely do I see that in your posts, for what it is worth.
You are correctly approaching scripture using the life, attitudes and actions of Jesus as your guide to what it REALLY means. See my post#63 in the Phony Christians thread . . . and fear not for your brother. The love and acceptance of God is boundless.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are correctly approaching scripture using the life, attitudes and actions of Jesus as your guide to what it REALLY means. See my post#63 in the Phony Christians thread . . . and fear not for your brother. The love and acceptance of God is boundless.
Thank you. That was very kind. I will find this post.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
If I upset you then I am sorry, that was not my purpose only to give the truth. Did you want me to lie to you? how is that respectful? I have also lost my dad and it was very traumatic time of my life to the point of self destruct, I unlike you at the time was an unbelieving raging liberal. I envy you, you have the Holy Spirit to comfort you, I didn't.

Now that I am a fundamentalist, I realize why my father died of an agonizing death of cancer. I believe that my father had to die in order for his good for nothing, disrespectful, lazy son to be saved.

The truth is in the bible, it is His word and the truth and the answers are there, I feel for your loss and I will pray for you. All I could say is don't let your brother's death be in vain. God may be dealing with you through your brother's death.

God Bless
OK. By chance have you ever read anything written by W. Frank Harrington, deceased but formerly the Sr. Minister of Peachtree Presbyterian church in Atlanta, GA?

He used this benediction--'Others have called you servants, but I have called you friend...Go and Serve in Christ's name.'

Infinitely compassionate, moral, kind, wise and a brilliant theologian. I was priveleged to attend this church for a number of years and it breaks my heart that so many others have never had such an experience.

Coming from a family with some unbearable problems for many years I was completely cynical. So it is difficult for me at times to grasp how people know of the importance of compassion and mercy and seem to only want to inform others of the TRUTH.

God Bless You and Keep You Until We Meet Again.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
OK. By chance have you ever read anything written by W. Frank Harrington, deceased but formerly the Sr. Minister of Peachtree Presbyterian church in Atlanta, GA?

He used this benediction--'Others have called you servants, but I have called you friend...Go and Serve in Christ's name.'

Infinitely compassionate, moral, kind, wise and a brilliant theologian. I was priveleged to attend this church for a number of years and it breaks my heart that so many others have never had such an experience.

Coming from a family with some unbearable problems for many years I was completely cynical. So it is difficult for me at times to grasp how people know of the importance of compassion and mercy and seem to only want to inform others of the TRUTH.

God Bless You and Keep You Until We Meet Again.
No sorry

My friend the truth is the gospel, and proclaiming the truth is a duty of Christians
(John 18:37-38)
"You say that I am a king. For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice." 38 Pilate said to him, "What is truth?"

Old 01-31-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
No sorry

My friend the truth is the gospel, and proclaiming the truth is a duty of Christians
(John 18:37-38)
"You say that I am a king. For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice." 38 Pilate said to him, "What is truth?"
OK.

Today this is what I need to hear>>
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...chw155978.html

Through the life and work of Albert Schweitzer and kindred spirits throughout the ages I understand the Divine.

~~~

A great secret of success is to go through life as a man who never gets used up.

A man can do only what he can do. But if he does that each day he can sleep at night and do it again the next day.

A man does not have to be an angel in order to be saint.

A man is ethical only when life, as such, is sacred to him, that of plants and animals as that of his fellow men, and when he devotes himself helpfully to all life that is in need of help.

A man is truly ethical only when he obeys the compulsion to help all life which he is able to assist, and shrinks from injuring anything that lives.

An optimist is a person who sees a green light everywhere, while a pessimist sees only the red stoplight... the truly wise person is colorblind.

Anyone who proposes to do good must not expect people to roll stones out of his way, but must accept his lot calmly, even if they roll a few stones upon it.

As soon as man does not take his existence for granted, but beholds it as something unfathomably mysterious, thought begins.

At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity