Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 11:40 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,631,104 times

Advertisements

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — The Rev. Ed Dobson has spent most of his life following Jesus. But only now does he realize how hard it is to live like him.

The retired megachurch pastor and one-time architect of the religious right has spent the last year trying to eat, pray, talk and even vote as Jesus would. His revelation: Being Jesus is tough.

Could you live like Jesus for a year? This pastor tried - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 12:36 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,575,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — The Rev. Ed Dobson has spent most of his life following Jesus. But only now does he realize how hard it is to live like him.

The retired megachurch pastor and one-time architect of the religious right has spent the last year trying to eat, pray, talk and even vote as Jesus would. His revelation: Being Jesus is tough.

Hmmmmm.....I would know the first minute considering my battle with sin.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:59 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,872,736 times
I think the point is not to strive to live like Jesus, but to daily die and let Him live thru us.

Seems a bit performance based to me and not what Jesus came to do. If all we had to do is mimic him, then all he needed to do was come and live with us but not go to the cross. The cross is how we can become like Jesus, not by striving, but by dying.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:14 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,487,505 times
I'd have a hard time with the beard thing. And I love cheeseburgers

But I think it's a cool idea. I see nothing wrong with imitating christ, and actually wish more christians, including myself, would do it in certain areas. Imagine how dynamic the church would be.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:35 AM

302 posts, read 554,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Jesus said: "The way is hard that leads to life ...and those who find it are FEW." Matt 7:14

And

"For many are called ...but FEW are chosen." Matt 7:14

We can and must live like Jesus to qualify for eternal life. Our faith is a gift from God; but our faithfulness must be tested and approved before we receive the crown of eternal life.

We overcome willful sin just like Jesus did --through the enabling power of the indwelling Holy Spirit; for with God nothing is impossible!

The chosen few abide in Jesus. We must ask ourselves: "Do I ABIDE in God?"

THE TEACHING OF JESUS:

At the Last Supper, Jesus taught His disciples about our spiritual relationship with Him. Our Lord used the branch and the vine to illustrate our complete dependence upon Him. He explained that the branch can bear no fruit without the constant flow of life from the vine. Jesus said to them: "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who ABIDES in Me, and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit..."

"If a man does not ABIDE in Me, he is cast forth as a branch and withers;
and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire and BURNED."
John 15:5 RSV

ABIDE is from the Greek "Meno." It means to remain in, to stay, to dwell.

THE SCRIPTURES DEFINE HOW TO "ABIDE" IN CHRIST: "All who keep His commandments ABIDE in Him, and He in them."
1 John 3:24 RSV

"If you keep My commandments you will ABIDE in My Love."
John 15:10 RSV

The church of today is empty of true spiritual strength and bears little resemblance to the church of the first century because it refuses to ABIDE in Christ. The scriptures plainly teach that the Father promises to answer only the prayers of those who ABIDE in Christ and obey His law:

"If you ABIDE in Me, and My WORDS abide in you, ask whatever you will, and it shall be done for you." John 15:7 RSV

"And we receive from Him whatever we ask, because we KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS." 1 John 3:22 RSV

"If one turns away his ear from hearing THE LAW, even his prayer is an abomination." Proverbs 28:9 RSV

A thousand may pray until their knees are bloody, but if they are not keeping His commandments, God says their prayer is an abomination to Him. Yet the prayers of only one man who abides in Christ can change the lives and circumstances of many:

"The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."
James 5:16 KJV

"Little children, let no one deceive you. He who DOES RIGHT, is righteous." 1 John 3:7 RSV

God's word is painfully clear. If one does not keep His commandments, one does not ABIDE in Christ. If one does not ABIDE in Him, God does not answer his prayer; and he will become like the withered branch, cast forth, thrown into the fire and burned.

Donna Kupp

Old 01-03-2009, 07:50 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,950,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Kupp View Post
Jesus said: "The way is hard that leads to life ...and those who find it are FEW." Matt 7:14

And

"For many are called ...but FEW are chosen." Matt 7:14

We can and must live like Jesus to qualify for eternal life. Our faith is a gift from God; but our faithfulness must be tested and approved before we receive the crown of eternal life.

We overcome willful sin just like Jesus did --through the enabling power of the indwelling Holy Spirit; for with God nothing is impossible!

The chosen few abide in Jesus. We must ask ourselves: "Do I ABIDE in God?"

THE TEACHING OF JESUS:

At the Last Supper, Jesus taught His disciples about our spiritual relationship with Him. Our Lord used the branch and the vine to illustrate our complete dependence upon Him. He explained that the branch can bear no fruit without the constant flow of life from the vine. Jesus said to them: "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who ABIDES in Me, and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit..."

"If a man does not ABIDE in Me, he is cast forth as a branch and withers;
and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire and BURNED."
John 15:5 RSV

ABIDE is from the Greek "Meno." It means to remain in, to stay, to dwell.

THE SCRIPTURES DEFINE HOW TO "ABIDE" IN CHRIST: "All who keep His commandments ABIDE in Him, and He in them."
1 John 3:24 RSV

"If you keep My commandments you will ABIDE in My Love."
John 15:10 RSV

The church of today is empty of true spiritual strength and bears little resemblance to the church of the first century because it refuses to ABIDE in Christ. The scriptures plainly teach that the Father promises to answer only the prayers of those who ABIDE in Christ and obey His law:

"If you ABIDE in Me, and My WORDS abide in you, ask whatever you will, and it shall be done for you." John 15:7 RSV

"And we receive from Him whatever we ask, because we KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS." 1 John 3:22 RSV

"If one turns away his ear from hearing THE LAW, even his prayer is an abomination." Proverbs 28:9 RSV

A thousand may pray until their knees are bloody, but if they are not keeping His commandments, God says their prayer is an abomination to Him. Yet the prayers of only one man who abides in Christ can change the lives and circumstances of many:

"The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."
James 5:16 KJV

"Little children, let no one deceive you. He who DOES RIGHT, is righteous." 1 John 3:7 RSV

God's word is painfully clear. If one does not keep His commandments, one does not ABIDE in Christ. If one does not ABIDE in Him, God does not answer his prayer; and he will become like the withered branch, cast forth, thrown into the fire and burned.

Donna Kupp
Donna - you are absolutely correct; you have been taught exceptionally well by the Holy Spirit on this subject. We must live like Jesus. This comes from prayer, fasting and living in the Word.

Last edited by scgraham; 01-03-2009 at 08:09 AM..

Old 01-03-2009, 07:57 AM

709 posts, read 1,499,316 times
Jesus would vote democrat? C'mon, from my understanding of this fictional character, I think he'd vote for the American Communist Party.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:39 AM

777 posts, read 1,442,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
Jesus would vote democrat? C'mon, from my understanding of this fictional character, I think he'd vote for the American Communist Party.
I don't thinks so.
He might have used the write-in: "_____________"; but what would He have written?

Old 01-03-2009, 12:06 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,952,575 times
I liked the part where he would drink, if it was offered. I see so many Christians, acting like if you have one drink your drunk!! At least the man put himself with what some call heathens and shared the word. He didn't come in to condem their actions!!

As far as voting, I believe just like in the temple, he would KICK them all out and start over!!

Old 01-04-2009, 10:47 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,487,505 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Richio
I don't thinks so.
He might have used the write-in: "_____________"; but what would He have written?
Why, the Trinity, of course!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity