Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 09:50 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What I am speaking of is after all the evil is purged from and we step into the millineum or eternity without any sin available to taint anything or anyone, then all will praise and glorify God forever. We all know there is a hell for a purpose and that purpose is actually for the fallen angels, but it also includes the unrepentant. There will be those who will be given the chance to repent before the judgement seat and still will not for reasons of their own. many believe hell is going to be a big party and heaven a killjoy, there will still be those who refuse to worship God because they cannot reconcile the OT or the fact that some will go to hell. Remember people are stubborn and will still be holding onto worldly wisdom rather then Godly wisdom.
Thank you for explaining. But how will sin no longer exist if there are people living in an eternal hell? If they will continue to refuse to worship God, sin will not have been destroyed, eliminated. It will exist for all of eternity. If people remain stubborn, they remain rebellious , and His enemies, and they will not be subdued or subjected to Him. Which is greater? The darkness of satan and sin or the light and power of God to subdue all to Himself?

That is why I wanted to share, RobinD69, what Christian Universalists believe. I have hope, faith, and belief that God will restore all to Himself. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-31-2008 at 10:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 09:51 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
If a rapist or murderer repents today and comes to God, what would you say, that they are unacceptable to God? God bless.
Absolutely not! Indeed all who are repentant are worthy in God’s view. It is not ours to Judge the heart.

You acknowledge that repentance is a factor however Universalism rejects repentance of sin as being necessary to eternal salvation. How do you reconcile this?

Old 12-31-2008, 09:59 PM

Hi Salt and Light, thank you for your feedback. Well, like I said, all Christian Universalists do not agree on all things. I do believe that repentance is necessary. I believe that there will be a change of heart and I believe that this is involves the judgments of God.

Here is a link to a document listing some of the beliefs among Christian Universalists which was drawn up in the 1800's. Article 9 speaks of the need for repentance in the first section, and articles 5 and 6 in the second section.

http://tgulcm.tripod.com/cu/unbelif.html

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-31-2008 at 10:16 PM..

Old 12-31-2008, 10:12 PM

ShanaBrown,

Do you believe that repentance is possible after our physical death?

Old 12-31-2008, 10:20 PM

Yes, I do Salt and Light. God bless.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:51 PM

ShanaBrown,

Jesus taught through parables. These parables explained God’s plan of Salvation and the torment of Hell. Can you point us to some the teachings of Jesus that would suggest Salvation to all regardless of their faith?

Old 12-31-2008, 11:03 PM

Salt and Light I am thinking of what Jesus said in John 12 when He speaks about satan being cast out.

27"Now My soul has become troubled; and what shall I say, 'Father, save Me from this hour'? But for this purpose I came to this hour.
28"Father, glorify Your name " Then a voice came out of heaven: "I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again."
29So the crowd of people who stood by and heard it were saying that it had thundered; others were saying, "An angel has spoken to Him."
30Jesus answered and said, "This voice has not come for My sake, but for your sakes.
31"Now judgment is upon this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out.
32"And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself."

What I get from this is that Jesus, who came to destroy the works of satan, will destroy the power of satan and his works over man, thus drawing all to Himself. When satan and sin are ultimately defeated, no one will remain enemies of God. I don't believe that Jesus fully revealed God's ultimate plan to His disciples at that time. I believe that it is presented in the writings of the apostle Paul. God bless.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:18 PM

ShanaBrown,

In John 12 Jesus was speaking to the Greeks – gentiles. Jesus was telling them that they to would have salvation through the New Covenant. At that time only Israel had favor with God.

Now, for a broader context lets look at John 12: 26. Just one verse prior to what you cite.
John 12:26
Quote:
If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.
Again I ask, can you show any hints of Universalism in the many parables Jesus spoke?

Old 12-31-2008, 11:36 PM

Hi Salt and Light, I believe that Jesus was speaking about the Greeks and of all men, of all being drawn to Him as a result of the ruler of this world being cast out. I did not realize that you meant parables when you spoke of pointing to any of the teachings of Jesus. As I shared, I do not believe that Jesus revealed God's ultimate plan to His disciples and that He mainly taught about the lost sheep of Israel, but I believe that there may be hints in the parable of the prodigal son, and lost sheep. All are the offspring of God.

Quote:
These parables explained God’s plan of Salvation and the torment of Hell. Can you point us to some the teachings of Jesus that would suggest Salvation to all regardless of their faith?
I forgot to share, that I don't believe that salvation is for all regardless of their faith. I believe that all will confess/give thanks/give praise to Jesus to the glory of God the Father. He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-31-2008 at 11:50 PM..

Old 01-01-2009, 12:20 AM

ShanaBrown,

An understanding of the time and culture is critical in understanding the Scriptures. Prior to Jesus’ sacrifice only Israel, Hebrew believers who followed the Law of Moses, would enjoy eternal life in the presence of God. Upon the coming of the promised Messiah, Christ Jesus, Salvation was made possible to all mankind through His once for all Sacrifice. Repentance and Faith are still necessary, as it was before, to be in relationship with God.

Please don’t overlook the cultural context of the Scriptures in your study. To view the Scriptures strictly from a 21st century point of view will not allow us to see the truth.

I don’t see Universalism in the prodigal son, indeed I see that we need to come to the Father before we parish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity