Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 12:37 AM

919 posts, read 610,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Can you give comparisons, I never heard of it, but God has always used things people know, he uses what they think and then he compares it, what comparisons of Revelation do you have?
I don't have a copy of the Sibylline writings at hand but you know 'Seek & ye shall find'. With some honest research you'll prove it for yourself.

The Sibylline writings by Herophile were held in high esteem by the Romans (How they also came to be known as 'the Roman Bible') where they would consult the prophecies before making big decisions like if & when they should go to war.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:03 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,062,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion777 View Post
I don't have a copy of the Sibylline writings at hand but you know 'Seek & ye shall find'. With some honest research you'll prove it for yourself.

The Sibylline writings by Herophile were held in high esteem by the Romans (How they also came to be known as 'the Roman Bible') where they would consult the prophecies before making big decisions like if & when they should go to war.
As the translator notes, this collection should more properly titled 'the Pseudo-Sibylline Oracles'. The original Sibylline Books were closely-guarded oracular scrolls written by prophetic priestesses (the Sibylls) in the Etruscan and early Roman Era as far back as the 6th Century B.C.E. These books were destroyed, partially in a fire in 83 B.C.E., and finally burned by order of the Roman General Flavius Stilicho (365-408 C.E.).

There is very little knowledge of the actual contents of the original Sibylline Books. The texts which are presented here are forgeries, probably composed between the second to sixth century C.E. They purport to predict events which were already history or mythological history at the time of composition, as well as vague all-purpose predictions, especially woe for various cities and countries such as Rome and Assyria. They are an odd pastiche of Hellenistic and Roman Pagan mythology, including Homer and Hesiod; Jewish legends such as the Garden of Eden, Noah and the Tower of Babel; thinly veiled references to historical figures such as Alexander the Great and Cleopatra, as well as a long list of Roman Emperors; and last but not least, Gnostic and early Christian homilies and eschatological writings, all in no particular order. There may be actual residue of the original Sibylline books wedged in here and there, but this is dubious. - The Sibylline Oracles Index

Old 12-10-2017, 03:53 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,558,701 times
Quote:
''Tell me my name,'' lol.

Mark, Steve, O, I know, you sound like a Ted.
Three wrong guesses.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:45 AM

33,303 posts, read 26,501,429 times
Quote:
Gee you're going to be real busy then & ah, CD will be no more after your psychotic God has finished smiting the majority of mankind.
Yep, according to the fairy-tale (that was actually plagiarised from the Sibylline writings that were written circa 500 BCE) Gods going to go on the rampage & let forth the hordes of evil that he created just for this special occasion. Gods 'coming out' party.
He must be drooling in anticipation, to let loose his 4 horsemen of the apocalypse to wreak conquest, war, famine & death on his children. Just imagine how much fun he's going to have. The utter carnage, the suffering, the misery & the stench of death.

Do you think it's too late to advise 'God' to seek psychiatric help?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Tell me my name where I live and I might believe you. a DM would be preferable.

Dang I get so confused. One skeptic says the Bible was plagiarize from Babylon writings. Another says from Egyptian god stories. A third suggests summarian myths. I think atheists need to have a chat and agree on one story. That would help with the credibility factor..
Quote:
You certainly sound confused. The Book of Revelation was plagiarised from the Sibylline books (aka The Roman Bible) that predates CE by 500 years. (Off-course the church altered it to suit it's narrative)
Despite the churchs best efforts, copies have survived their many purges.

You do understand that the Bible is a compilation from numerous sources?
You made this same claim on the thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...heresy-12.html in post #114. I refuted that claim in post #116.

You read and believed a book written by Tony Bushby called 'The Bible Fraud.' In reality, the fraud is Busby who makes completely unsupported claims concerning Jesus. I haven't read the book myself, but I did read a critique of the book. According to that critique Bushby makes the following claims.

He claims in the book that Jesus had a twin brother named Judas Khrestus. He claims that Jesus was a descendant of a Celtic king named Lud. He claims that Jesus became a king of Britain named Cunobelinus. He claims that the Roman emperor Constantine came from Jesus' line.

Here is the complete critique of Bushby's book.

Bible Fraud, Tony Bushby: a critique

Here is an excerpt from the critique:
Many of his sources are -- conveniently -- "preserved in rare archival manuiscripts and difficult-to-find reference books." Among these sources are such items as the "Myvyean Manuscript" [18] in the British Museum. For some reason the only actual reference to this document anywhere online comes from references to Bushby.
And little wonder why. Tekton Research Assistant "Punkish" won the Gold Star of his life with this one -- he lives in the UK, and was able to contact the British Museum about this. His report:

I wrote to the British Library (who now house the manuscript collection that used to be kept at the British Museum) about this "Myvyean manuscript" and the official reply from Michael St.John-McAlister, the Curator of the Dept. of Manuscripts is this:

"I am afraid that I can find no reference to such a manuscript in our collections. We receive many similar enquiries relating to subject matter such as this and I have to say many of them are hoaxes or refer to non-existent manuscripts."

So much for Bushby as a credible source on alleged mystery documents.

Bible Fraud, Tony Bushby: a critique
Bushby's book is about as credible as Dan Brown's ''The Da Vinci Code'' which is to say that it is not at all credible.

You no doubt believe all of these claims by Bushby in addition to his claim that Revelation was plagiarized from the Sibylline books. A claim which I refuted as stated above.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:47 AM

15,878 posts, read 6,346,191 times
So Hanni, witness this: From the link(I found this so interesting)

Now, [in the Gospel of Thomas], this Jesus comes to reveal that you and he are, if you like, twins.... And what you discover as you read the Gospel of Thomas, which you're meant to discover, is that you and Jesus at a deep level are identical twins. And that you discover that you are the child of God just as he is. And so that at the end of the gospel Jesus speaks to Thomas and says, "Whoever drinks from my mouth will become as I am, and I will become that person, and the mysteries will be revealed to him." Here, Jesus does not take the role of authority and teacher. In the Gospel of Thomas, the disciples say to Jesus, "Tell us, what do you want us to do? How shall we pray? What shall we eat? How shall we fast?" Now if you look at Matthew and Luke, Jesus answers the questions. He says, "When you pray, say, 'Our Father who are in Heaven, hallowed be...' When you fast, wash your face, don't make a show of it. When you give alms do it privately and without being showy." In this gospel, this Jesus does not answer. He says, "Do not tell lies, and do not do what you hate, for everything is known before heaven." Now this answer throws you and me upon ourselves.... Here Jesus, in effect, turns one toward oneself, and that is really one of the themes of the Gospel of Thomas, that you must go in a sort of a spiritual quest of your own to discover who you are, and to discover really that you are the child of God just like Jesus.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...ry/thomas.html

This scripture seems to support it. This is a favorite of mine as it is one of the scriptures I used to escape the chains of the group I was raised in.

1 John 4
…16And we have come to know and believe the love that God has for us. God is love; whoever abides in love abides in God, and God in him. 17In this way, love has been perfected among us, so that we may have confidence on the day of judgment; for in this world we are just like Him. 18There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear, because fear involves punishment. The one who fears has not been perfected in love.…

It doesn't set out being like Christ as a goal but rather an actuality that can only be accepted once we are perfected in love.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:55 AM

23,201 posts, read 10,481,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Three wrong guesses.
LOL, is that what you think a prophet is?

I am supposed to know your name and what is under your bed?

Hold three fingers up and I will tell you which hand.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
LOL, is that what you think a prophet is?

I am supposed to know your name and what is under your bed?

Hold three fingers up and I will tell you which hand.
It's bound to be the dominate hand which is right for most.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
So Hanni, witness this: From the link(I found this so interesting)

Now, [in the Gospel of Thomas], this Jesus comes to reveal that you and he are, if you like, twins.... And what you discover as you read the Gospel of Thomas, which you're meant to discover, is that you and Jesus at a deep level are identical twins. And that you discover that you are the child of God just as he is. And so that at the end of the gospel Jesus speaks to Thomas and says, "Whoever drinks from my mouth will become as I am, and I will become that person, and the mysteries will be revealed to him." Here, Jesus does not take the role of authority and teacher. In the Gospel of Thomas, the disciples say to Jesus, "Tell us, what do you want us to do? How shall we pray? What shall we eat? How shall we fast?" Now if you look at Matthew and Luke, Jesus answers the questions. He says, "When you pray, say, 'Our Father who are in Heaven, hallowed be...' When you fast, wash your face, don't make a show of it. When you give alms do it privately and without being showy." In this gospel, this Jesus does not answer. He says, "Do not tell lies, and do not do what you hate, for everything is known before heaven." Now this answer throws you and me upon ourselves.... Here Jesus, in effect, turns one toward oneself, and that is really one of the themes of the Gospel of Thomas, that you must go in a sort of a spiritual quest of your own to discover who you are, and to discover really that you are the child of God just like Jesus.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...ry/thomas.html

This scripture seems to support it. This is a favorite of mine as it is one of the scriptures I used to escape the chains of the group I was raised in.

1 John 4
…16And we have come to know and believe the love that God has for us. God is love; whoever abides in love abides in God, and God in him. 17In this way, love has been perfected among us, so that we may have confidence on the day of judgment; for in this world we are just like Him. 18There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear, because fear involves punishment. The one who fears has not been perfected in love.…

It doesn't set out being like Christ as a goal but rather an actuality that can only be accepted once we are perfected in love.
What do you think I am trying to tell you if I say that I am the two witnesses?

SO ARE YOU.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
As the translator notes, this collection should more properly titled 'the Pseudo-Sibylline Oracles'. The original Sibylline Books were closely-guarded oracular scrolls written by prophetic priestesses (the Sibylls) in the Etruscan and early Roman Era as far back as the 6th Century B.C.E. These books were destroyed, partially in a fire in 83 B.C.E., and finally burned by order of the Roman General Flavius Stilicho (365-408 C.E.).

There is very little knowledge of the actual contents of the original Sibylline Books. The texts which are presented here are forgeries, probably composed between the second to sixth century C.E. They purport to predict events which were already history or mythological history at the time of composition, as well as vague all-purpose predictions, especially woe for various cities and countries such as Rome and Assyria. They are an odd pastiche of Hellenistic and Roman Pagan mythology, including Homer and Hesiod; Jewish legends such as the Garden of Eden, Noah and the Tower of Babel; thinly veiled references to historical figures such as Alexander the Great and Cleopatra, as well as a long list of Roman Emperors; and last but not least, Gnostic and early Christian homilies and eschatological writings, all in no particular order. There may be actual residue of the original Sibylline books wedged in here and there, but this is dubious. - The Sibylline Oracles Index
Thanks for all the info bro, I can't never rep you, but I know a person who is able to rep anyone. Dose one get to a point where they can rep people without repping 100 other people first?

Old 12-10-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
What do you think I am trying to tell you if I say that I am the two witnesses?

SO ARE YOU.
I knew that it was all about me already. It's YOU I'm not so sure about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity