Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 03:02 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,011,211 times

Advertisements

I know that the Book of Acts 2 is indeed true as I am a witness of the Baptism of Holy Spirit which was the promise of the Father God at the day of Pentecost , and as a witness of this miracle which thousand of Christians have witnessed is solid proof of the Cross of Jesus Christ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 03:53 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
They are accurate. What specifically his problem may be is not known unless someone can give a specific case he feels is not accurate.

Remember the denied Pilate existed and then oops proof he did and the NT was accurate about him. Then a change in title for one official and oops evidence showed the Nt got it right and opponents of the NT were wrong..
Per the opinion of a few. There are many who find errors throughout the OT and NT that are significant..

Most notably Marks's description of playing with snakes and drinking poison.

Al;so the addition to Revelations 22:18 that cursing those who would change the word is a known scribal add on..

I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll.

Zealous scribe who wanted to make a statement...

Old 10-19-2015, 06:48 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
AHEM..........we take our Elvis sightings very serious around here!
Ha! Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
I know that the Book of Acts 2 is indeed true as I am a witness of the Baptism of Holy Spirit which was the promise of the Father God at the day of Pentecost , and as a witness of this miracle which thousand of Christians have witnessed is solid proof of the Cross of Jesus Christ
I am quite sure that the author of Acts 2 was speaking of a real phenomenon which you and all those other believers have experienced. But that does not make Acts two true. In fact the rest of acts is so dubious and demonstrably false not to mention the Angel's message in Luke being altered so that Acts could keep the apostles in Jerusalem choosing a replacement for Judas, that theh 'pentecost' event cannot be taken as historically reliable.

Now, since you are talking of personal convictions, let me give you mine.

The resurrection stories are hopelessly contradictory. Mark does not even have one. Now, I have to assume that the disciples believed that Jesus has resurrected as Paul says so and I have to believe on evidence that this is at least true. But reading Paul on the resurrection sightings, you notice that they are quite unlike the resurrection stories.

There is a reason why and Paul tells us what it is. Paul makes it clear that his encounter with the risen Jesus was a spiritual one. Effectively Jesus appeared in Paul's head telling him exactly what he wanted to hear. Thus the appearances first to Peter, then the apostles and then 500 together were vision of the spirit Jesus not a solid walking one. The were in fact visionary appearances and the appearance of Jesus to the women in Matthew and to the ten disciples in John are fabrications. Not historically reliable.

In fact i am sure that the claim of Paul that Jesus appeared first to Simon is the explanation of the puzzling remark in Luke 24.34 where the disciples don't mention any appearance of Jesus to the women (as per Matthew) but claim that he has appeared to Simon. But no account is given of this.

I reckon the reason that Luke, author of Acts and biographer of Paul, knew that Paul had said that Jesus appeared first to Simon. So he Wangled this claim into his resurrection account but without giving any details.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-19-2015 at 07:08 AM..

Old 10-19-2015, 07:20 AM

802 posts, read 453,716 times
Arequipa asked: Do discrepancies mean unreliable testimony or are they understandable witness error and -as is often pointed out - proof that they were not colluding but telling their own stories?

RESPONSE:

(Providentissimus deus, 20)

“Hence, because the Holy Ghost employed men as His instruments, we cannot therefore say that it was these inspired instruments who, perchance, have fallen into error, and not the primary author. For, by supernatural power, He so moved and impelled them to write-He was so present to them-that the things which He ordered, and those only, they, first, rightly understood, then willed faithfully to write down, and finally expressed in apt words and with infallible truth. Otherwise, it could not be said that He was the Author of the entire Scripture.â€

ANSWER: It demonstrates that scripture is NOT divinely inspired, by virtue of the fact that it contains contradictions (hence error) which would not be found if God were really the author.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
QUESTION: Whose baptism did you witness and which miracle did you witness?

Old 10-19-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Ha! Lol

I am quite sure that the author of Acts 2 was speaking of a real phenomenon which you and all those other believers have experienced. But that does not make Acts two true. In fact the rest of acts is so dubious and demonstrably false not to mention the Angel's message in Luke being altered so that Acts could keep the apostles in Jerusalem choosing a replacement for Judas, that theh 'pentecost' event cannot be taken as historically reliable.

Now, since you are talking of personal convictions, let me give you mine.

The resurrection stories are hopelessly contradictory. Mark does not even have one. Now, I have to assume that the disciples believed that Jesus has resurrected as Paul says so and I have to believe on evidence that this is at least true. But reading Paul on the resurrection sightings, you notice that they are quite unlike the resurrection stories.

There is a reason why and Paul tells us what it is. Paul makes it clear that his encounter with the risen Jesus was a spiritual one. Effectively Jesus appeared in Paul's head telling him exactly what he wanted to hear. Thus the appearances first to Peter, then the apostles and then 500 together were vision of the spirit Jesus not a solid walking one. The were in fact visionary appearances and the appearance of Jesus to the women in Matthew and to the ten disciples in John are fabrications. Not historically reliable.

In fact i am sure that the claim of Paul that Jesus appeared first to Simon is the explanation of the puzzling remark in Luke 24.34 where the disciples don't mention any appearance of Jesus to the women (as per Matthew) but claim that he has appeared to Simon. But no account is given of this.

I reckon the reason that Luke, author of Acts and biographer of Paul, knew that Paul had said that Jesus appeared first to Simon. So he Wangled this claim into his resurrection account but without giving any details.
RESPONSE: If Jesus had really been raised from the dead in 30-33 AD yet Paul does not write about it until about 55 AD, what happened to any witness accounts during that 20 year period?

If it was really known to have happened, why is there no previous reports for 20 years?

Could it be that it was just a story which Paul adoped and embellished? Was it Paul who came up with the idea that, rather than have simply been executed as an insurrectionisst, Jesus died to "atone for our sins"? That would have been a far more palatable explanaton for Jesus' followers and Paul's reputation would increase.

Keep in mind all of the Gospels were written some time after Paul wrote.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:12 AM

689 posts, read 494,511 times
None of the Bible can be considered historically accurate, imo.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:14 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post

The gospel accounts are Not meant to be separate but one gospel according to four writers.
They complement each other to give us a complete picture about the life of Jesus.

Complete? Too many discrepancies to be complete. One gospel would have worked better. Four gospels tend to confuse not complete.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:15 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
None of the Bible can be considered historically accurate, imo.
It wasn't written to be. No one thought that until somewhat recently, maybe the last 150 years.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:17 AM

689 posts, read 494,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
It wasn't written to be. No one thought that until somewhat recently, maybe the last 150 years.
Most of it is a an believable fairy story, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity