Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2015, 05:07 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Did I say that it is its sole purpose? No, I did not. I said merely that the Bible as literature is historical. And it must be considered as such because Christianity is based on historical events.
No, you did not, but it does not have to be taken as historical.
Especially, when people turn myth's into
historical authenticity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 06:45 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
No, you did not, but it does not have to be taken as historical.
Especially, when people turn myth's into
historical authenticity.
The Bible absolutely does have to be recognized as an historical source. It records real events which historically happened. If Jesus wasn't crucified, and if He wasn't resurrected, then there is no basis for Christianity. But the early disciples saw the resurrected Jesus. His resurrection was a real and historical event. And if, since you claim to be a believer, you can't understand that, then there's nothing left to say to you because you just don't get it. Whether you consider the Bible to be an historical source or not, historians do even though as I said, secular historians don't recognize everything in the Bible as historical.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:50 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
You've already been shown that your claim that Luke lied about why Paul escaped from Damascus is false. And you do not know that Paul does not endorse Luke's writings. You merely have an opinion.
And you've been shown that it Is false. And if you claim that Paul endorses what was written about the conversion on the road to Damascus, you need to support that with something in Paul - which is why I asked you.

Since you can't, I at least have negative evidence for my view. You have nothing at all to support yours.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
And you've been shown that it Is false. And if you claim that Paul endorses what was written about the conversion on the road to Damascus, you need to support that with something in Paul - which is why I asked you.

Since you can't, I at least have negative evidence for my view. You have nothing at all to support yours.
No Arequipa, you have not shown that it is false. You have not shown anything but your personal opinion. Paul was converted. That is a fact. Luke records how he was converted. That Paul didn't say in one of his epistles, ''Oh, by the way, I endorse Luke's account of my conversion,'' doesn't mean that he objected to it. Paul's letters addressed specific issues in the churches to which he wrote. He had no reason to validate Luke's account of his conversion. You are attempting to make an argument from silence, and apparently as well as from a need for Luke to be wrong.

Now, I have had enough of this forum for one day.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:04 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
No Arequipa, you have not shown that it is false. You have not shown anything but your personal opinion. Paul was converted. That is a fact. Luke records how he was converted. That Paul didn't say in one of his epistles, ''Oh, by the way, I endorse Luke's account of my conversion,'' doesn't mean that he objected to it. Paul's letters addressed specific issues in the churches to which he wrote. He had no reason to validate Luke's account of his conversion. You are attempting to make an argument from silence.

Now, I have had enough of this forum for one day.
It is widely viewed that the author of Luke was Paul. Besides which, Paul's writings were before Luke ever was thought of.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:07 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJP View Post
No, I said SHOW, and even capitalized it so you would note the import. This is all conjecture and speculation.
FYI, Josephus misdated Quirinius’s census, as follows; Josephus (not Luke) Misdated Quirinius
You can read about Gerasenes as follows; https://www.biblegateway.com/resourc...ce=3&wid=S8128
As regards the border of Samaria and Galilee, I don't see your problem.
http://www.thebiblejourney.org/conte..._images/24.png
I read the argument that there is another Judas mentioned by Josephus that was involved in tax revolt under Herod. He raises some questions, but the first thing that occurs to me is - isn't it a bit of a coincidence that another Judas with a rather similar surname and who is also involved in a tax revolt, did it in Herod's time, while all the talk of Judas the Galilean relates to the 6 AD tax revolt..

The next is that, if this was a plausible argument, I am surprised that nobody has previously referred to a definite Judas in a tax revolt known to be in Herod's time? That would conclusively prove there was a tax (and it had to be a census tax to be Luke's) in Herod's time. I think this bod is trying to create a Judas - led tax revolt in Herodian times out of a few quibbles. He also seems to be proposing another priestly associate fro the Herodian Judas as there was for the 6 AD Judas. If the name is also Zadok (which he doesn't say) that surely makes this earlier copy of the 6 AD census a figment of his imagination. I couldn't make sense of the argument that Coponius couldn't be Judean prefect under Quirinus as Quirinus was...let me check...(a legate juridicus; governor = legati pro praetore).

Well I am no Latin expert, but that looks to me like Legate and governor, which Quirinus would be (and he certainly couldn't be in the time of Herod) and Coponius was of lesser equestrian rank and Judean prefect under the Consular Quirinus. This seems straightforward to me.

I know about Gadara, but Gerasa (Jerash) was a different place entirely. And a long way from the eastern shores of galilee.

2. Gergesa (Γέργεσα). This town is not to be confused with either Gerasa or Gadara. Gergesa is located, with relative certainty, midway along the E bank of the Sea of Galilee; Gadara is six m. SE from the S end of the Sea of Galilee; and Gerasa is some thirty-five m. SE. - See more at: https://www.biblicaltraining.org/lib....EjYDpbCR.dpuf

Archeologists identify it with the modern Jarash. At this distance from the Sea of Galilee, Gerasa could not have been the site of the healing of “Legion.” It is doubtful that Jesus ever visited it.

https://www.biblicaltraining.org/lib...rasa-gerasenes

Apart from the usual rendition being 'Jerash' this is spot on.

The problem is that, unless there was a road running along the border between Galilee and Samaria Luke's remark makes no sense.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-22-2015 at 08:08 PM..

Old 10-22-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
It is widely viewed that the author of Luke was Paul. Besides which, Paul's writings were before Luke ever was thought of.
Back up your claim with scholarly source material. Don't just make an unsupported statement and expect to be taken seriously. And if Paul was the author of Luke, then it would be a writing of Paul's and therefore how could Paul's writings be before Paul's writings?

The author of Luke is the author of Acts as well. And the author of Acts shows himself to be someone other than Paul since he presents himself as being with Paul on his missionary journeys at times.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:16 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Back up your claim with scholarly source material. Don't just make an unsupported statement and expect to be taken seriously. And if Paul was the author of Luke, then it would be a writing of Paul's and therefore how could Paul's writings be before Paul's writings?

The author of Luke is the author of Acts as well. And the author of Acts shows himself to be someone other than Paul since he presents himself as being with Paul on his missionary journeys at times.

Ooopssss.... brain short-circuited.

I agree with the bolded, and that was my intention of making that point.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:18 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
It is true that Paul's writings predate the gospels by quite a bit, but it's news to me that anyone thinks Paul is the author of Luke.

The gospel of Luke and the Acts of the Apostles are widely regarded as having the same author, traditionally Luke, the companion of Paul ... but Luke's authorship has pretty much become a minority view in recent generations. Like many books of the Bible, we simply don't know who the anonymous author is.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:26 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
The Bible absolutely does have to be recognized as an historical source. It records real events which historically happened. If Jesus wasn't crucified, and if He wasn't resurrected, then there is no basis for Christianity. But the early disciples saw the resurrected Jesus. His resurrection was a real and historical event. And if, since you claim to be a believer, you can't understand that, then there's nothing left to say to you because you just don't get it. Whether you consider the Bible to be an historical source or not, historians do even though as I said, secular historians don't recognize everything in the Bible as historical.
My father died thirty years ago this month - that's a fact known only to me, not you.
In other words, you will have to take my word for it, if you believe I speak the truth.

For you it's a matter of believing, for me, it is one of knowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity