Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 06:11 PM

28,119 posts, read 30,041,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I have no idea why he refuses to believe you, an actual Mormon, over the aptly-named Slick who is not exactly a giant in the theological world much less an expert on the LDS faith.
Oh, that's easy. It's all about intent. If your intent is to make something look blasphemous, heretical, evil or outlandish, you use a source that specializes in doing so.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Can you give some examples of how they misrepresent your religion? Everything that I've seen there is well documented from your religion's own sources and leaders.
Since you asked, this page: Teachings of Mormonism is full of half-truths, parodies and distortions. To begin with hardly any of what he says can be traced to official LDS sources of doctrine. But we've talked about that before, too, and either it just doesn't sink in or you don't really care to get your facts straight. If you want to talk about any of Matt Slick's specific claims, I would strongly suggest you do not use this particular thread to do so. I mean that.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:37 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,413,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Matt Slick is the President and founder of a fundamentalist cult.
In other words, it's his
religious perspectives, or no way at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Actually...no. He is a Calvinist, educated form Westminster Seminary with an M-Div. He currently attends a Calvary Chapel church (which teaches an Arminian view, as well as other things that disagree with him), and has publicly stated numerous times on his radio show that there are a lot of good churches that disagree with him on some points. He has recommended people go to a wide variety of churches, including Baptist, Calvary Chapel, and others.

So no...he's not just a fundamentalist cult leader only looking for people that agree with him. He doesn't even have a church of his own.
When a person tiptoes through the tulips?
He is not my mentor, even if I am partly Dutch.

However, you may follow whoever you desire?

Old 04-22-2015, 08:40 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,514,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
What you seriously can't fathom is the requirement to examine what somebody says when they claim they're speaking for the Lord .. if such is true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
And you "examine" what someone says by asking people who hate them if what they are saying is true? Do you seriously think that if a radical Muslim website tried to explain your beliefs, it would do so accurately?
And where Did God reveal to "examine" somebody by going to radical Muslim or one that hates you ... so why not stop throwing out red herrings?

We "examine" using what God revealed Acts 17:11 ... the scriptures aka the Bible.

Quote:
Then the next apparent question becomes what do you have to fear if LDS doctrine is examined?
Quote:
Absolutely nothing. CARM doesn't examine LDS doctrine. It invents it. Why is it that if you ask CARM what Mormons believe, you get one answer, and if you ask a Mormon what Mormons believe, you get a different answer? And it's not just Mormonism that CARM attacks; it's everybody who doesn't see the world through Matt Slick's eyes.

Great ... absolutely nothing.Then explain your next post which says[indent]
Quote:
this page: Teachings of Mormonism is full of half-truths, parodies and distortions. ... If you
want to talk about any of Matt Slick's specific claims, I would strongly suggest you do not use this particular thread to do so. I mean that.
[/INDENTModerator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 04-23-2015 at 04:17 AM.. Reason: Thread is not about Mormonism. Please do not bait other member.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:41 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,449,282 times
Quote:
Since you asked, this page: Teachings of Mormonism is full of half-truths, parodies and distortions. To begin with hardly any of what he says can be traced to official LDS sources of doctrine. But we've talked about that before, too, and either it just doesn't sink in or you don't really care to get your facts straight. If you want to talk about any of Matt Slick's specific claims, I would strongly suggest you do not use this particular thread to do so. I mean that.
The problem is that those who believe Matt do NOT checkout out claims, as they want him to be telling the truth.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:50 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,514,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The problem is that those who believe Matt do NOT checkout out claims, as they want him to be telling the truth.
or those who are afraid don't want to for them self because they just might have to practice what they preach.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:58 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,413,669 times
Quote:
maybe if you squint very hard you can see my violin playing while if you are truthful about appreciating other people's truthfulness about what they believe while not people's desire to oppose it like pcamps \ warden \ mystic \ dewdropinn \ pleroo \ dentalfloss \ denverian \ troutdude \ sparrow \ zthatzmanz28 \ RonkonkomaNative
Cry me a river, and I will build you a boat.
They do not come across as self-righteous.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
That is 100% accurate. They are looking for reasons to hate certain denominations (definitely not just Mormonism) and Matt Slick is providing them with exactly what it is they're looking for. People who want to justify their hatred will find an ally in Matt Slick.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:42 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,242,237 times
Quote:
That is 100% accurate. They are looking for reasons to hate certain denominations (definitely not just Mormonism) and Matt Slick is providing them with exactly what it is they're looking for. People who want to justify their hatred will find an ally in Matt Slick.
Fundamentalism appeals to the small-minded and mean-spirited.

They're easy to spot, especially when spouting Slick's schtick.*

*Try that one 5 times fast without swearing.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:21 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,736,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I have no idea why he refuses to believe you, an actual Mormon, over the aptly-named Slick who is not exactly a giant in the theological world much less an expert on the LDS faith.
Do you believe everything I, an actual Christian, tell you about Christianity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity