Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:01 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,369,838 times

Advertisements

Clearly mandated by the Lord Jesus Christ. Those that believe it was an invention of the Catholic Church were betrayed by their ministers.

Here is the concise biblical mandate:

Starts here, read the bold:

Penance, confession, reconciliation.
Quote:
Matthew 16:19
19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.”
Quote:
John 20:21-23
21 So Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you; as the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” 22 And when He had said this, He breathed on them and *said to them,“Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive the sins of any, their sins [a]have been forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they have been retained.”
The significance of the breath is HUGE. This is to place emphasis on this act.

Quote:
2 Corinthians 5:18
18 Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation,
Quote:
2 Corinthians 5:20
20 Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.
Some say that the power given to the Apostles died with them. However, Jesus told the Apostles to make more disciples. And he told them:

Quote:
Matthew 28:19-20

19 [a]Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
Amazing stuff! Go there and make disciples. A clear mandate for apostolic succession. Just as Peter did with Mark who wrote one of the Gospels. And Jesus is with them till the end of time. This is the Holy Mother Catholic Church

Last edited by Julian658; 02-28-2014 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 11:11 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,234,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Clearly mandated by the Lord Jesus Christ. Those that believe it was an invention of the Catholic Church betrayed by their ministers.

Some say that the power given to the Apostles died with them. However, Jesus told the Apostles to make more disciples. And he told them:

Amazing stuff! Go there and make disciples. A clear mandate for apostolic succession. Just as Peter did with Mark who wrote one of the Gospels. And Jesus is with them till the end of time. This is the Holy Mother Catholic Church
We've been over this. Jesus never commanded his apostles to go and listen to confessions and forgiven the ones that people confessed. He never said their successors would do the same. He never said that they had the ability to arbitrarily forgive any sins.

What the text is saying is that the sins were forgiven already. What they are doing is proclaiming that. They are not forgiving anything.

You quoted Matthew 28:18 to suggest that them going and making disciples allowed their successors to forgive sins....so does that mean I can hear confessions and forgive sins, by your logic? I'm not Catholic..but I am a Christian who heard the Gospel from a Christian, who heard it from a Christian....etc...etc....

Old 02-28-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
We've been over this. Jesus never commanded his apostles to go and listen to confessions and forgiven the ones that people confessed. He never said their successors would do the same. He never said that they had the ability to arbitrarily forgive any sins.

What the text is saying is that the sins were forgiven already. What they are doing is proclaiming that. They are not forgiving anything.

You quoted Matthew 28:18 to suggest that them going and making disciples allowed their successors to forgive sins....so does that mean I can hear confessions and forgive sins, by your logic? I'm not Catholic..but I am a Christian who heard the Gospel from a Christian, who heard it from a Christian....etc...etc....
And you never talk to your parishioners about their problems, right?

Old 02-28-2014, 11:28 AM

1,382 posts, read 770,972 times
Quote:
Clearly mandated by the Lord Jesus Christ. Those that believe it was an invention of the Catholic Church betrayed by their ministers.

Dear Julian,
Yes the children of God can forgive sins, and can heal, and can proclaim the kingdom of God, and are brothers and do not call each other Father, teacher, or leader.(Mt 23:3-10) But the Catholic Church has no power, except intimidation, and the apostles, except probably John, are gone. (John 21:23) The power is delegated to those who do the will of God. This kind of excludes the "woman" who sits on the beast of Revelation 17. As for any "elect", who might still reside within Babylon the Great, they are urged to "come out" or suffer her plagues. (Rev 18:4)
How do you think the son of the father of lies got elected fraud in chief? He promised healing from their plagues. There will be no healing from their plagues from our present Muslim messiah. Neither the messiah Hussein, nor the church can forgive sins or heal the nation. They are a both a Stumbling-Block, who give false promises.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:33 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,955,553 times
One more time concerning giving the Holy Spirit, who receives the Holy Spirit these days?

Old 02-28-2014, 11:41 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,081,071 times
If Jesus died on the cross to bridge the gap between man and God, and if He is the only mediator between man and God, then it would stand to reason that we go to Him for forgiveness of sin. Priests are fellow human beings, not gods.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:45 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,234,400 times
Quote:
And you never talk to your parishioners about their problems, right?
Of course I do. I don't pretend to be able to forgive sins, though.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:10 PM

758 posts, read 852,239 times
Quote:

Jesus said: If you don't forgive others I won't forgive you - Matthew 6:12

- Every Christian has a "bar of soap" 1st John 1:9 - It is for every believer - It is not a sacrament- It is our daily duty!

Jesus told ALL BELIEVERS - Go spread the gospel - to every living creature on earth.

Jesus said - Luke 17:3 Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.

EVERY WORD OF GOD: Is Profitable (NOTICE MAYBE or MIGHT is not included in this verse
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

The Church is not a MOTHER ! That is blasphemy

The Church is the corporate body of Christ - He is the head.

Ye would be wise to believe what God says and avoid the traditions of men!

Old 02-28-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Of course I do. I don't pretend to be able to forgive sins, though.
Because you have no authority. You are not an ordained priest with proper apostolic succession. You do not represent Christ like they do.

Nevertheless, forgiveness comes from God. The priest is not God. That is a lie often told to the flock by misguided ministers.

But, you can still hear the confession of your parishioners and provide guidance.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkutuq View Post
Jesus said: If you don't forgive others I won't forgive you - Matthew 6:12

- Every Christian has a "bar of soap" 1st John 1:9 - It is for every believer - It is not a sacrament- It is our daily duty!

Jesus told ALL BELIEVERS - Go spread the gospel - to every living creature on earth.

Jesus said - Luke 17:3 Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.

EVERY WORD OF GOD: Is Profitable (NOTICE MAYBE or MIGHT is not included in this verse
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

The Church is not a MOTHER ! That is blasphemy

The Church is the corporate body of Christ - He is the head.

Ye would be wise to believe what God says and avoid the traditions of men!
You say the bible is profitable for doctrine but conveniently ignore the verses I quoted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity