Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ew Testament Christians NEED to TITHE?
Yes, Mandatory 10% 4 11.43%
No, Freewill offering of any amount 31 88.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 10:18 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,133,422 times

Advertisements

Im not against giving as in a freewill offering of what ever you give with a cheerful heart no matter how much (5-50%) and believe we all should give if we have the means to and if anyone is unsure on what to give, they can use the biblical example in the OT and use 10% as a starting point.

I dont think 10% is mandatory the way prosperity gospel preachers and many well meaning pastors teach, followed by cherry picking certain verses ( robbing god, first fruits, etc) and use them out of conxtent to make people feel guilty if they dont give the mandatory 10% to the point in the end it almost feels like an extortion of money.

What I dont understand is how we will say the Sabbath was the law and for the Jews, the Dietary Laws was the Law and for the Jews in Israel, but Tithing which is also part of the Law someone gets a free pass and must be upheld, but most of the rest of the law can be classifieds are for the Jews/Israel only. Tithing was food and all examples in the bible back then clearly shows it was food to help the needy in Israel. The only way you can be ROBBING GOD is if you can give and you chosse not to give at all, NOT that if you dont meet the 10% quota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 11:16 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,931,619 times
NO. If tithing was for the churches?
And as important as tithe preachers today teach ?

It would have also been preached for Jesus disciples for the churches.

On Circumcision and Keeping The Law Of Moses?:

"...For it seemed good to The Holy Spirit and to us (Apostles)
to lay upon you (gentiles) no greater burden than these necessary things:
that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from thing s strangled, and from sexual immorality."
Acts 15

Old 02-06-2014, 12:32 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Im not against giving as in a freewill offering of what ever you give with a cheerful heart no matter how much (5-50%) and believe we all should give if we have the means to and if anyone is unsure on what to give, they can use the biblical example in the OT and use 10% as a starting point.

I dont think 10% is mandatory the way prosperity gospel preachers and many well meaning pastors teach, followed by cherry picking certain verses ( robbing god, first fruits, etc) and use them out of conxtent to make people feel guilty if they dont give the mandatory 10% to the point in the end it almost feels like an extortion of money.

What I dont understand is how we will say the Sabbath was the law and for the Jews, the Dietary Laws was the Law and for the Jews in Israel, but Tithing which is also part of the Law someone gets a free pass and must be upheld, but most of the rest of the law can be classifieds are for the Jews/Israel only. Tithing was food and all examples in the bible back then clearly shows it was food to help the needy in Israel. The only way you can be ROBBING GOD is if you can give and you chosse not to give at all, NOT that if you dont meet the 10% quota.
In Matthew 23:23, Jesus tells the scribes and Pharisees that they have been paying tithing, but have been omitting "the weightier matters." He continues by telling them that both are important. He said, "These ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone." I believe that 10% is "mandatory" in that it should be the minimum amount we should give. In several places, the Bible refers to "tithes and offerings." I believe that these are separate, and should be seen as such. A tithe is 10%; other free-will contributions above that 10% are the offerings the scriptures refer to. (I don't believe, however, that pastors should be supported by the congregations tithes. This is, I believe, an unbiblical practice.)

Old 02-06-2014, 12:41 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Tithing is under the law of Moses. We of the nations are not under law but under grace.

However Paul did ask the nations to give financially to help the poor in Jerusalem and to give financially to help their teachers.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:09 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
No. There is nowhere in the Bible where God requires tithing of people that were not part of the Mosaic Covenant.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
In Matthew 23:23, Jesus tells the scribes and Pharisees that they have been paying tithing, but have been omitting "the weightier matters." He continues by telling them that both are important. He said, "These ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone." I believe that 10% is "mandatory" in that it should be the minimum amount we should give. In several places, the Bible refers to "tithes and offerings." I believe that these are separate, and should be seen as such. A tithe is 10%; other free-will contributions above that 10% are the offerings the scriptures refer to. (I don't believe, however, that pastors should be supported by the congregations tithes. This is, I believe, an unbiblical practice.)

In Matthew 23:23, Jesus is still alive, so they were still under the Mosaic law and the New Covenant had not began yet, so they are supposed to be tithing. But Matt 23:23 shows that once again it is food they are tithing, not money. Im all for offerings to support the church and spread ministries, but just call it an offering, since tithing was part of the law that Christians says was done away with.

Matthew 23:23

23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Tithing is under the law of Moses. We of the nations are not under law but under grace.

However Paul did ask the nations to give financially to help the poor in Jerusalem and to give financially to help their teachers.

I agree we should pay church leaders that take their time and effort to help, it it takes time away from where they could work a job that pays them income. But when the pastor rolls up in a $50,000 car, it better be off of his real job and not what his members are giving.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Actually, it was instituted much earlier than that. It may have been practiced at the time the Law of Moses was in place, but it was also practiced both before and after that time.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
In Matthew 23:23, Jesus is still alive, so they were still under the Mosaic law and the New Covenant had not began yet, so they are supposed to be tithing. But Matt 23:23 shows that once again it is food they are tithing, not money. Im all for offerings to support the church and spread ministries, but just call it an offering, since tithing was part of the law that Christians says was done away with.

Matthew 23:23

23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
Well, that's one way of getting around it, I suppose. Jesus said a lot of things when He was still alive. Are you saying they don't apply now either, because the New Covenant had not yet begun? Besides, tithing really had nothing to do with the Mosaic Law per se.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:24 PM

I never cease to be amazed at the hoops people are willing to jump through to justify giving back to God what's already His in the first place. Tithing is one of the easiest laws we have been given. I can't imagine trying to figure out a reason why I shouldn't have to be bothered with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity