Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I believe the 1000 year reign is....
a literal 1000 year period of time to come. 44 68.75%
a literal 1000 year period of time which has already started. 2 3.13%
the spiritual reign of Christ with believers in the new dispensation in which we live. 8 12.50%
I'm not sure. 10 15.63%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 06:54 AM

24 posts, read 75,899 times

Advertisements

Galatians 1:6-9 - As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed

Romans 16:17 - Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 11:38 AM

1,897 posts, read 3,492,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline2 View Post
Galatians 1:6-9 - As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed

Romans 16:17 - Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
adrenaline2: That's your proof? Would you bother to prove that what I have said falls into the category of "another gospel?"

Would you bother to prove that what I have said falls into the category of that which is "contrary to the doctrine" which they had learned?

I presented to you (often with Paul's own words) the doctrine they learned from Paul. Perhaps you had better search the Scriptures again and make sure it is not you whose teaching is what Paul had in mind when he said these things.

In Christ, Preterist

Old 11-30-2007, 11:31 PM

26 posts, read 116,607 times
Not to be entirely flippant, but I've heard more than one person remark that Revelations may have been the result of a meal of hallucinoginic mushrooms due to the unimaginable imagery that it contains.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:49 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,492,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui4me View Post
Not to be entirely flippant, but I've heard more than one person remark that Revelations may have been the result of a meal of hallucinoginic mushrooms due to the unimaginable imagery that it contains.
It is not such "unimaginable imagery" if one puts it in its proper historical setting--A.D. 70! It involves those things which were in John's day to SHORTLY take place because the time was then NEAR.

Preterist

Old 01-29-2008, 12:01 PM

6 posts, read 13,985 times
wow! i've had a dream a long time ago about being held hostage by some revolutioal soldiers they were kinda spanish type and i remembered to agree with your adversaried so ... i agreed that america will fall all nations will fall and the only kingdom to last will be the kingdom of god where there will be no evil no more unfairness no more death so they were listening and wanted me to show them where it said this at in the bible so when i went to show them i couldn't remember where it all was so i got out my strongs concoardance to look up the word kingdom and that page was ripped out...... then i woke up in a sweat... so i've always since then wondered why we don't preach the kingdom of goe like jesus did look up matthew 5 blessed be those who mourn..... so maybe this is part of the reason: we cant agree on, find the truth on this. sorry this is the first i've heard of the kingdom is now, i mean i know it is in our hearts but in the world we are doing a poor job of reigning yet i think we should be reigning much more than we are to walk as the Sons and Daughters of GOD, john 1;12 he gave us the power to become the sons of god.... more on this later .. what do ya think??

Old 01-29-2008, 12:46 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezahriah View Post
so i've always since then wondered why we don't preach the kingdom of goe like jesus did look up matthew 5 blessed be those who mourn..... so maybe this is part of the reason: we cant agree on, find the truth on this. sorry this is the first i've heard of the kingdom is now, i mean i know it is in our hearts but in the world we are doing a poor job of reigning yet i think we should be reigning much more than we are to walk as the Sons and Daughters of GOD, john 1;12 he gave us the power to become the sons of god.... more on this later .. what do ya think??
I agree with you. It's really simple! In this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...ngdom-god.html

I tried to gather all the many verses in the NT where it talks about "the kingdom of God" or "the kingdom of heaven", and you can see that none of them refer to a literal kingdom to come, rather what we are experiencing now.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:49 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,035,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
I believe that it is a spiritual reign.. we are living and reigning with Christ now.
I agree .

Old 01-31-2008, 10:43 AM

6 posts, read 14,577 times
Smile 1000 years-millenial reign of Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
It is not a problem if one remembers that Christ's kingdom is not of this world! It is in that kingdom that Christ now reigns not on this earth.

Preterist
Look at the following scriptures which picture the millenial reign of Christ:

The plan for mankind began with creation - God created the heavens and the earth and everything in it in 7days, and God rested on the seventh day,
4th commandment God commanded men to do all their work in 6 days then rest on the seventh day.
And finally
2 Peter 3:8 - But do not let this one {fact} escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years and a thousand years like one day.
(6-day week = 6000 years of men’s self-rule)
the seventh day, the day of rest = the 7000th year when Christ comes to rule and reign on earth, the day (or 1000 years) of peace and rest. We are nearing the 7000th year since creation
Genesis 2
[SIZE=3]1Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. [/SIZE]
2And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

[SIZE=4][CENTER]The Fourth Commandment[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work; but the seventh day is a Sabbath to The Lord your God; in it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your manservant, or your maidservant, or your cattle, or the sojourner who is within your gates; for in six days The Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day; therefore The Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it." (Exodus 20:8-11 RSV)
The Only Day Of The Week That Is Holy
The Sabbath Day, and only the Sabbath Day, was made Holy by God at the time of Creation.
"Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God finished His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. So God blessed the seventh day and hallowed it, because on it God rested from all His work which He had done in creation." (Genesis 2:1-3 RSV) (see The Seven Days Of Creation)
The Sabbath Day is God's Holy Day; it is not the invention, or property of, Jews or Sabbath-keeping Christians. It is God's Holy Day:
"If you turn back your foot from the Sabbath, from doing your pleasure on My Holy Day, and call the Sabbath a delight and the Holy Day of The Lord honorable; if you honor it, not going your own ways [see I Did It My Way...], or seeking your own pleasure, or talking idly; then you shall take delight in The Lord, and I will make you ride upon the heights of the earth; I will feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father, for the mouth of The Lord has spoken." (Isaiah 58:13-14 RSV)
The Sabbath Day is an identifying sign; it identifies the only true God, the Creator, and it identifies His true people (although Sabbath-keeping alone is not enough - there are many who are Sabbath keepers who are not The Elect):
"I gave them My statutes and showed them My ordinances, by whose observance man shall live. Moreover I gave them My Sabbaths, as a sign between Me and them, that they might know that I The Lord sanctify them." (Ezekiel 20:11-12 RSV)
The Sabbath Day is not the "Jewish Sabbath," it is God's Sabbath. Jesus Christ, the greatest "Christian" of all, observed the Sabbath Day, and only the Sabbath Day (the pagan Roman "sun day" did already exist at that time, but Jesus Christ, and the apostles, and the early church, were all Sabbath keepers - they would never have observed the heathen "sun-worship day"):
"And they went into Capernaum; and immediately on the Sabbath He entered the synagogue and taught." (Mark 1:21 RSV)
"And on the Sabbath He began to teach in the synagogue; and many who heard Him were astonished, saying, "Where did this man get all this? What is the wisdom given to Him? What mighty works are wrought by His hands!" (Mark 6:2 RSV)
Christians continued to observe the Sabbath after Christ's sacrifice:
"As they went out, the people begged that these things might be told them the next Sabbath. And when the meeting of the synagogue broke up, many Jews and devout converts to Judaism followed Paul and Barnabas, who spoke to them and urged them to continue in the grace of God. The next Sabbath almost the whole city gathered together to hear the word of God." (Acts 13:42-44 RSV)
The seventh day never stopped being God's Sabbath. It has always been observed by Christians who base their Christianity on the Word of God, the Holy Bible, and it will always be observed into the future. After The Return Of Jesus Christ, all people, of all nations, will learn (the easy way, or the hard way - their choice, and yours) to observe God's weekly Sabbath:
"For as the new heavens and the new earth which I will make shall remain before Me, says The Lord; so shall your descendants and your name remain. From new moon to new moon, and from Sabbath to Sabbath, all flesh shall come to worship before Me, says The Lord." (Isaiah 66:22-23 )
dissobedience to keeping God's sabbath is the "mark of the beast", I will explain this very soon

Old 01-31-2008, 10:57 AM

6 posts, read 14,577 times
Red face 1000 years-millenial reign of Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Yes, I believe it is referring to a period of time, but not 1000 literal years of 365 days each.. Like I mentioned to arguy, the whole chapter is full of figurative terms..
The following scriptures should clear up the confusion over the 1000 years, it is in deed a 1000 year reign, check this out:
The plan for mankind began with creation - God created the heavens and the earth and everything in it in 7days, and God rested on the seventh day,
4th commandment God commanded men to do all their work in 6 days then rest on the seventh day.
And finally
2 Peter 3:8 - But do not let this one {fact} escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years and a thousand years like one day.
(6-day week = 6000 years of men’s self-rule)
the seventh day, the day of rest = the 7000th year (or 1000 year reign) when Christ comes to rule and reign on earth, the day (or 1000 years) of peace and rest. We are nearing the 7000th year since creation.
Genesis 2
[SIZE=3]1Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. [/SIZE]
2And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

[SIZE=4][CENTER]The Fourth Commandment[/CENTER]
[/SIZE]"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work; but the seventh day is a Sabbath to The Lord your God; in it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your manservant, or your maidservant, or your cattle, or the sojourner who is within your gates; for in six days The Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day; therefore The Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it." (Exodus 20:8-11 RSV)
The Only Day Of The Week That Is Holy
The Sabbath Day, and only the Sabbath Day, was made Holy by God at the time of Creation.
"Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God finished His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. So God blessed the seventh day and hallowed it, because on it God rested from all His work which He had done in creation." (Genesis 2:1-3 RSV) (see The Seven Days Of Creation)
The Sabbath Day is God's Holy Day; it is not the invention, or property of, Jews or Sabbath-keeping Christians. It is God's Holy Day:
"If you turn back your foot from the Sabbath, from doing your pleasure on My Holy Day, and call the Sabbath a delight and the Holy Day of The Lord honorable; if you honor it, not going your own ways [see I Did It My Way...], or seeking your own pleasure, or talking idly; then you shall take delight in The Lord, and I will make you ride upon the heights of the earth; I will feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father, for the mouth of The Lord has spoken." (Isaiah 58:13-14 RSV)
The Sabbath Day is an identifying sign; it identifies the only true God, the Creator, and it identifies His true people (although Sabbath-keeping alone is not enough - there are many who are Sabbath keepers who are not The Elect):
"I gave them My statutes and showed them My ordinances, by whose observance man shall live. Moreover I gave them My Sabbaths, as a sign between Me and them, that they might know that I The Lord sanctify them." (Ezekiel 20:11-12 RSV)
The Sabbath Day is not the "Jewish Sabbath," it is God's Sabbath. Jesus Christ, the greatest "Christian" of all, observed the Sabbath Day, and only the Sabbath Day (the pagan Roman "sun day" did already exist at that time, but Jesus Christ, and the apostles, and the early church, were all Sabbath keepers - they would never have observed the heathen "sun-worship day"):
"And they went into Capernaum; and immediately on the Sabbath He entered the synagogue and taught." (Mark 1:21 RSV)
"And on the Sabbath He began to teach in the synagogue; and many who heard Him were astonished, saying, "Where did this man get all this? What is the wisdom given to Him? What mighty works are wrought by His hands!" (Mark 6:2 RSV)
Christians continued to observe the Sabbath after Christ's sacrifice:
"As they went out, the people begged that these things might be told them the next Sabbath. And when the meeting of the synagogue broke up, many Jews and devout converts to Judaism followed Paul and Barnabas, who spoke to them and urged them to continue in the grace of God. The next Sabbath almost the whole city gathered together to hear the word of God." (Acts 13:42-44 RSV)
The seventh day never stopped being God's Sabbath. It has always been observed by Christians who base their Christianity on the Word of God, the Holy Bible, and it will always be observed into the future. After The Return Of Jesus Christ, all people, of all nations, will learn (the easy way, or the hard way - their choice, and yours) to observe God's weekly Sabbath:
"For as the new heavens and the new earth which I will make shall remain before Me, says The Lord; so shall your descendants and your name remain. From new moon to new moon, and from Sabbath to Sabbath, all flesh shall come to worship before Me, says The Lord." (Isaiah 66:22-23 )

Old 01-31-2008, 11:29 AM

157 posts, read 624,071 times
Great post sharingthetruth!

That's exactly what the Word of God says and everything else contrary is simply the traditions of men.

Last edited by debbee; 01-31-2008 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity