Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 03:11 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times

Advertisements

Hope for Homosexuals | Catholic Answers#

Click on the LISTEN---you may need to click more than once so have patience.
Hope for Homosexuals

ca101203b.mp3

Listen
Friday, Dec 3, 2010 - 7pm ET
Fr. Paul Check

Share on twitterShare on facebookShare on emailShare on printShare on gmailMore Sharing Services

Fr. Paul N. Check is a priest with the Diocese of Bridgeport, Connecticut and was ordained in 1997. He holds an S.T.B. from the Gregorian University, Rome and an S.T.L. (Moral Theology) from the University of the Holy Cross, Rome. Fr. Check has served as a parish priest and high school chaplain. Bishop William E. Lori appointed him to be the Chaplain for Courage in Bridgeport in December 2002. In addition, he teaches Moral Theology to seminarians, permanent deacon candidates, and religious. Father graduated with a B.A. in History from Rice University in 1977 and served as an officer in the U.S. Marine Corps for nine years prior to entering the seminary. In 2008, Fr. Paul Check was elected to succeed Fr. John F. Harvey as the Executive Director of Courage International, which provides pastoral support to individuals with a same-sex attraction who wish to live according to the Church’s teachings on chastity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Hope for Homosexuals | Catholic Answers#

Click on the LISTEN---you may need to click more than once so have patience.
Hope for Homosexuals

ca101203b.mp3

Listen
Friday, Dec 3, 2010 - 7pm ET
Fr. Paul Check

Share on twitterShare on facebookShare on emailShare on printShare on gmailMore Sharing Services

Fr. Paul N. Check is a priest with the Diocese of Bridgeport, Connecticut and was ordained in 1997. He holds an S.T.B. from the Gregorian University, Rome and an S.T.L. (Moral Theology) from the University of the Holy Cross, Rome. Fr. Check has served as a parish priest and high school chaplain. Bishop William E. Lori appointed him to be the Chaplain for Courage in Bridgeport in December 2002. In addition, he teaches Moral Theology to seminarians, permanent deacon candidates, and religious. Father graduated with a B.A. in History from Rice University in 1977 and served as an officer in the U.S. Marine Corps for nine years prior to entering the seminary. In 2008, Fr. Paul Check was elected to succeed Fr. John F. Harvey as the Executive Director of Courage International, which provides pastoral support to individuals with a same-sex attraction who wish to live according to the Church’s teachings on chastity.
I just listened to the priest in your link. He claims there is no evidence for biological causes for homosexuality and pushes the long discredited nonsense about a 'distant father'.

Really?

No evidence? Try this:

https://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog3...sexuality.html

Or this:

The Evangelical Blackout of Research on Sexual Orientation

What there is ZERO evidence for, (and plenty against) are long debunked silly notions about homosexuality being 'caused' by a boy having a distant father.

My question is: Is this priest deliberately lying or is he just woefully uninformed?

What would be 'hope' for gay and lesbian people would be people like this educating themselves and not spreading misinformation.

Last edited by Ceist; 12-13-2012 at 06:26 PM..

Old 12-13-2012, 08:16 PM

398 posts, read 545,614 times
Maybe it might help to do a lot more tolerance and acceptance of people who are different from us----for any reason---- and a lot less judging and explaining about how they came to be so "messed-up".

Oh yeah....like folks here want to talk about learning to be tolerant..... like THATS gonna happen......!

Old 12-14-2012, 12:46 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 Fr. John F. Harvey as the Executive Director of Courage International, which provides pastoral support to individuals with a same-sex attraction [I
who wish to live according to the Church’s teachings on chastity[/i].
Ok, so really what it comes down to is he teaches chastity, "to those who wish to live according to the Church's teachings on chastity." (i.e., the Bible's teachings...)

Let's face it, sin is a choice. All sin is a choice, lie, murder, etc., why candy coat it? We sin because it's fun or at least we think it is, which is why we do it.

None of us are without sin, which is why we need a savior. What are we being saved from? The wrath of God, which is to come...

Either we choose to spend eternity with Him or without Him...it is all about choices. He gives us choices, we are free to choose.

My choice is with my redeemer. I am not perfect or without sin, however I HAVE been forgiven and walk with Him.

Although I serve a perfect God, I myself am not perfect. I can't walk on water (unless it's frozen) and then must be careful not to slip (HA!)

The point of this is when they, homosexuals choose to live as the bible teaches and not live the homosexual lifestyle. I am basing this on their choice to live by the Bible's teachings. Period.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post
Ok, so really what it comes down to is he teaches chastity, "to those who wish to live according to the Church's teachings on chastity." (i.e., the Bible's teachings...)

Let's face it, sin is a choice. All sin is a choice, lie, murder, etc., why candy coat it? We sin because it's fun or at least we think it is, which is why we do it.

None of us are without sin, which is why we need a savior. What are we being saved from? The wrath of God, which is to come...

Either we choose to spend eternity with Him or without Him...it is all about choices. He gives us choices, we are free to choose.

My choice is with my redeemer. I am not perfect or without sin, however I HAVE been forgiven and walk with Him.

Although I serve a perfect God, I myself am not perfect. I can't walk on water (unless it's frozen) and then must be careful not to slip (HA!)

The point of this is when they, homosexuals choose to live as the bible teaches and not live the homosexual lifestyle. I am basing this on their choice to live by the Bible's teachings. Period.
I don't know any gay or lesbian people who choose to go around threatening to rape angels or who worship ancient pagan fertility gods as temple prostitutes as a 'lifestyle'. That's the only type of same-gender sexual activity that is mentioned in the Bible and people who practiced it were unlikely to be innately homosexual anyway.

I hope you are not suggesting that gay and lesbian people lie and pretend to be straight and marry straight people? That doesn't usually end well.

So perhaps this should be directed at straight people who want to be temple prostitutes to pagan fertility gods or dominate same gender strangers by raping them.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:38 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I don't know any gay or lesbian people who choose to go around threatening to rape angels or who worship ancient pagan fertility gods as temple prostitutes as a 'lifestyle'. That's the only type of same-gender sexual activity that is mentioned in the Bible and people who practiced it were unlikely to be innately homosexual anyway.

I hope you are not suggesting that gay and lesbian people lie and pretend to be straight and marry straight people? That doesn't usually end well.

So perhaps this should be directed at straight people who want to be temple prostitutes to pagan fertility gods or dominate same gender strangers by raping them.
No, I am not suggesting what you are suggesting above. Scripture is clear, and if you need specifics, I can get them, as Christians, we are to live a certain way and not follow our flesh and live of this world giving into "whatever feels good, do it." 1 Corinthians 6:8-12, Colossians 3:1-17, Galatians 5:16-26 (seems to be a reoccurring theme...)

However, I am not here to argue with you either, again Scripture is clear for those of us that choose to follow Christ, the rewards are out of this world and the retirement plan is for eternity.

God hates the sin, NOT the sinner, which is why He sent His Son to die on the cross for our sins.

This priest is teaching abstenance and for those who have never lived it, they will never understand it's alian concept. No one is asking YOU to do it. It is for those trying to be Christ like (Christians) in their walk. It is a personal decision each has made.

Why can't you be tolerant of their decision?

Last edited by LuvABull.Denver; 12-14-2012 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: Looked up Scripture...

Old 12-14-2012, 04:54 AM

398 posts, read 545,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post

The only folks that I know for a fact did marry to cover their Homosexual inclinations or lifestyles are some of the big names in Entertainment (see: Rock Hudson). Americans (and Christians) are funny that way. The Homosexual community seems to produce a particularly large number of talented people in the performing arts and folks really like that. But once the label of "gay" or "lesbian" gets attached a persons career can go under a cloud----kind of a "love the production but not the producer"- sort of thing. I'm not so sure that Homosexuals are "ashamed" of being Homosexuals as much as they live in a shame-based culture.

FWIW.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post
No, I am not suggesting what you are suggesting above. Scripture is clear, and if you need specifics, I can get them, as Christians, we are to live a certain way and not follow our flesh and live of this world giving into "whatever feels good, do it." 1 Corinthians 6:8-12, Colossians 3:1-17, Galatians 5:16-26 (seems to be a reoccurring theme...)

However, I am not here to argue with you either, again Scripture is clear for those of us that choose to follow Christ, the rewards are out of this world and the retirement plan is for eternity.

God hates the sin, NOT the sinner, which is why He sent His Son to die on the cross for our sins.

This priest is teaching abstenance and for those who have never lived it, they will never understand it's alian concept. No one is asking YOU to do it. It is for those trying to be Christ like (Christians) in their walk. It is a personal decision each has made.

Why can't you be tolerant of their decision?
Why are you assuming I am 'intolerant' of people who decide to be celibate? Its their life.

However if they are doing it because of being indocrtinated to believe that being gay or lesbian is inherently 'wrong', then I pity them.

It's also interesting that you follow Christ because of the 'rewards' you think you'll get. Not because his teachings are inherently the right thing to do. Loving your neighbour as yourself mustn't come easily to someone who believes in a god who hates his own creations.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:42 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
OMG...people need to get back to reality and into the 21st century...you can't CURE gay. Our Source made them that way and seriously...why would or does anyone care what someone else does in their own bedroom??? Their actions in their own bedroom do not affect my life nor anyone else's for that matter...get over it people!!! We are to love unconditionally ALL people...why don't you try doing that for a change. Just saying...

Old 12-14-2012, 06:12 AM

335 posts, read 334,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2bHere! View Post
The only folks that I know for a fact did marry to cover their Homosexual inclinations or lifestyles are some of the big names in Entertainment (see: Rock Hudson). Americans (and Christians) are funny that way. The Homosexual community seems to produce a particularly large number of talented people in the performing arts and folks really like that.
Yea, you are right, but can't you find a better example of such talent than Rock Hudson?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity