Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 01:36 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

... and avoiding Hell?

I don't know whether to find the "doom and gloom" evidenced by all the Biblical snippets on this sub-forum to be maddening or humorous. Sometimes, it's both. While I wish you would avoid quotations, can you answer this question in a couple of words, if that's not too difficult?

Yes, I think MOST people from ALL of the Christian denominations are going to Heaven, if they really believe what their congregation teaches. (There are a few exceptions, and one of them is in Kansas, though I think they're going to get a nice, long baking session in an intermediate place like Purgatory to cool their jets).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 02:28 PM

33,232 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
... and avoiding Hell?

I don't know whether to find the "doom and gloom" evidenced by all the Biblical snippets on this sub-forum to be maddening or humorous. Sometimes, it's both. While I wish you would avoid quotations, can you answer this question in a couple of words, if that's not too difficult?

Yes, I think MOST people from ALL of the Christian denominations are going to Heaven, if they really believe what their congregation teaches. (There are a few exceptions, and one of them is in Kansas, though I think they're going to get a nice, long baking session in an intermediate place like Purgatory to cool their jets).
Anyone who believes that Jesus Christ is the Son of God (which is a title of His deity), and that He died for their sins, and understanding that, has trusted completely in Him for eternal life, has eternal life and will spend the eternal future in the presence of God.

Everyone who dies never having trusted in Jesus Christ for eternal life will be eternally separated from God in the lake of fire.

Last edited by Michael Way; 10-23-2012 at 02:57 PM..

Old 10-23-2012, 02:39 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,906 times
Yes, I think so. What is the purpose of your question?

Old 10-23-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Anyone who believes that Jesus Christ is the Son of God (which is a title of His deity), and that He died for their sins, and understanding that, has trusted completely in Him for eternal life, has eternal life and will spend the eternal future in the presence of God.

Everyone who dies never having trusted in Jesus Christ for eternal life will be eternally separated from God in the lake of fire.
These are very metaphorical terms and no one really knows what they mean, except that one outcome is positive and the other is negative.

The presence of God - is that meant to be clouds, harps, gold-paved streets?*
Lake of fire - dipping villains into vats of chemicals is something you'd see in a James Bond movie; I'd like to think God isn't that cruel to some decent person whose Christianity was somewhat ambivalent

*I'm "low-maintenance" now and expect to continue being so; therefore, it would take less to keep me happy.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:46 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
... and avoiding Hell?

Answer:
MOST people do not know what the true Christian theology is.

A congregation that teaches a false gospel still damns the person even if they call themselves "Christian".

MOST denominations are theological landmines at the least to pawns of Satan masquerading as messengers of the truth.

Sincerity alone doesn't save, the true Christian theology does.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:58 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
As long as they dont fall under any of these categories below, they should as what Post#2 mentioned.

Galatians 5:19-21
New King James Version (NKJV)
19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,[a] fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders,[b] drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10
9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals,[a] nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

Ephesians 5:5
5 For this you know,[a] that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.

Revelation 20:15
15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

Revelation 21:8
8 But the cowardly, unbelieving,[a] abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

Old 10-23-2012, 03:18 PM

33,232 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
These are very metaphorical terms and no one really knows what they mean, except that one outcome is positive and the other is negative.

Lake of fire - dipping villains into vats of chemicals is something you'd see in a James Bond movie; I'd like to think God isn't that cruel to some decent person whose Christianity was somewhat ambivalent

*I'm "low-maintenance" now and expect to continue being so; therefore, it would take less to keep me happy.
The believer in Jesus Goes goes into the presence of God when he dies. That means that the believer goes to heaven. However, when Jesus Christ returns to the earth at the end of the Tribulation, all who are in heaven right now will return to the earth with Him. At the end of the Millennium, God will create a new heaven and new earth. The new heaven and new earth will be the eternal abode of those who have come to Christ for salvation.

As for the lake of fire, that is the eternal abode of all who die never having come to Christ for salvation. The Bible describes those who in the lake of fire as being in disgrace and everlasting contempt (Daniel 12:2). Those in the lake of fire are said to be destroyed which does not mean cessation of existence, but in a state of ruin and uselessness. The word destroy in the Greek is Apollumi - a lost condition, a useless condition. The Bible also says that those in the lake of fire have no rest and are in torment (Rev. 14:10-11;20:10) The fact that the Bible says that the unbeliever will be eternally separated from God (1 Thess. 1:8-9), and yet be punished in the presence of the Lamb (Rev. 14:10), is not a contradiction. Eternal separation from God means that the unbeliever will have no relationship with God.

The Bible doesn't go into detail about the conditions of the lake of fire. It is a place of judgment. There will be degrees of punishment in the lake of fire, and God will be fair in His punishment.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:48 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,247,857 times
Quote:

what does any of that matter? you should focus on what has been done for you. you should look to accept the free gift of salvation instead of question what happens to other people.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
what does any of that matter? you should focus on what has been done for you. you should look to accept the free gift of salvation instead of question what happens to other people.
It does matter. There are a LOT of people on here who think that if you don't tow the line in a scripted manner, you're going to end up in the s hit can. That's what I was trying to sample, is how many people feel that way and how many don't.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:14 PM

428 posts, read 330,886 times
Quote:
... and avoiding Hell?

I believe ALL Christians are going to Heaven. But not all who think they are Christian!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity