Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 12:57 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times

Advertisements

I posted this on another site I fellowship with:

I have come to the conclusion, although the KJV and other translations I am confident with, but I have found the LXX to be the most authoritative, as it was the writers of the New Testament that referred to this translation, more than likely, 100% of the time.

Example 1:

Hebrews 1:6 says, "And again, when he bringeth his first begotten into the world he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him." Where does the author of Hebrews find this admonition that the angles of God should worship the first begotten? The early Christians found Old Testament support for these words in Deut. 32:43 of their LXX; we have none in our modern Old Testaments. Which is correct, the LXX or the Jewish Masoretic text? A discovery of a fragment of a Hebrew manuscript of Deuteronomy in cave four of Qumran (one of the Dead Sea Scrolls) confirms that this LXX reading was based on an actual ancient Hebrew document and was not an accidental addition made by the LXX translators. It appears that the Pharisees may have stopped copying all manuscripts which contained the critical lines (and consequently, dropped those lines from our modern Bibles as well). In this case, it appears, it might be better to use the LXX than our modern Bibles.

LXX DEUT 32:43 43 Rejoice, ye heavens, with him, and let all the angels of God worship him; rejoice ye Gentiles, with his people, and let all the sons of God strengthen themselves in him; for he will avenge the blood of his sons, and he will render vengeance, and recompense justice to his enemies, and will reward them that hate him; and the Lord shall purge the land of his people.

Example 2:

When Luke quotes the genealogies in the 3rd chapter of his Gospel, we find differences between them and the genealogies found in Genesis 5 and 11 of our modern Old Testaments. This is because Luke copied his genealogies from his Old Testament which was, of course, a LXX. Hebrew texts representing both the LXX and Masoretic variations have been found among the Dead Sea Scrolls. Which version is the more accurate? Perhaps Luke's authority breaks the tie here. He had personally spent time with those who knew Jesus and could easily have had some insight concerning which source to quote.

Example 3:

In Acts 15:16-17, James defends the work of the Holy Spirit among the Gentiles by quoting from the prophets (specifically from Amos 9:11,12). When we compare the words of James with Amos, as found in our modern Old Testaments, we might get the impression that James cannot quote scripture very accurately; the key word "Gentiles" is not found at all. But, of course, James was quoting the LXX, not the Masoretic text.
In many cases the LXX has been borne out by the Hebrew found in the Dead Sea Scrolls, and in many cases the Masoretic text is not. We begin to get the impression that the Jews, after rejecting their Messiah, may not have been such careful custodians of the Old Testament as we have been led to believe.

Consider how the LXX might influence the translation of Isaiah 7:14, "Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel."
The LXX uses a Greek word for "virgin" which can only mean "virgin." By comparison, the Masoretic text uses a word which can also mean "young maiden." A translator who considers the LXX to be authoritative does not need to make any concessions to the liberal "possibilities" concerning the translation of this verse.

I understand the errors, although minor to some, appear major to me, in the KJV and others that stemmed from it, as they directly usurp the Messianaic qualities that have seemed to be left out, for obvious reasons.

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 12:27 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
Good post...sciotamicks makes valid points, IMO. Here's some links to more info on the LXX, also known as the Septuagint:

Septuagint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Septuagint Bible Online

Septuagint, LXX, Versions of the Bible, History of the Bible

Charles Thomson English Translation - Greek Septuagint LXX Bible

There are more links, but this will get you started.

Bud

Old 09-15-2010, 12:46 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
This is great sciota and Bud! Thanks a lot...I put the On-Line Setuagint Bible on my favorites and will begin reading it right away!

God Bless you both,
Verna.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:51 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times
Anytime...what's also telling is, the LXX claims Goliath was 4 cubits and a span, about 6' 8". King Saul was about 7' 2" and was not afraid of Goliath because of Goliath's size, but be cause Goliath had been trained as a warrior from his youth. The giants were not 8 or 9 feet tall. They were the size of today's "sports heros." Some more thoughts to ponder...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity