Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 12:19 AM

6 posts, read 11,238 times

Advertisements

Yes, I've read the sticky stuff, and just about every other current thread on this board. It seems a lot of the people asking about locations are 20-something students, or young families. I'd like to know about neighborhoods good for single women my age.

I'm planning to move to Chicago from NC at the beginning of August, and I'm 43. While a lot of my friends are 20 and 30-somethings, I also like to know I'm not going to be living in a neighborhood where I feel like I'm a senior citizen if I go to a pub.

I've been looking on the north side (just via internet for now), and have seen the warnings about much of Uptown - as a single woman who does like to go out at night with friends and have a life, I want somewhere that I can feel at least relatively safe within reason. I'd love to be in the West Loop, but I can't afford it (not by any stretch of the imagination, and I won't pay $1,000 a month for a teeny studio just because it's in a prime location). I'd prefer a 1 bedroom condo or apartment, preferably in a larger building, that's relatively near the lake (say, within a mile), but also near grocery shopping and some nightlife because I won't have a car. A Trader Joe's would be amazing, but I'll live if I'm not close enough to TJ's.

Any advice for a single 43 year old who hasn't quite gotten ready to retire and die, but would like to be in a neighborhood that isn't completely inundated with young student types? Not that I don't like you young students types - as I said, I just would like to NOT feel like grandma going to a pub in my new neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 08:06 AM

320 posts, read 955,799 times
Andersenville.
Look at Andersenville first.

Lincoln Square is nice, but its 2.5 miles from the lake.

Best of luck hunting.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:05 AM

Thanks - yeah, I prefer to be closer to the lake than that. Hopefully I'll find something in my price range (under $950 a month) in a vibrant neighborhood.

Any recommendations from anyone on particular rentals? I'd prefer a larger building like a midrise or other elevator type building.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:01 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,201,157 times
Midrise rental buildings are not plentiful in Andersonville (can't think of one at the moment). Most of the housing is low rise courtyard type buildings are a few condo buildings that are 4 or 5 stories. There is more highrise type stuff along the Lakefront (Sheridan Rd near Bryn Mawr for example; in Edgewater). You could meet your price range in a few of those high rise buildings. Or you could find your price it in a courtyard building in East Lakeview just a block or two from the Lakefront bike/running path. Plenty of 40 somethings in Lakeview mixed in with the 20 somethings.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:11 PM

Thanks! Sounds like I'm focusing my search in the right areas, then - I'm assuming I need to stay near Bryn Mawr if I'm on Sheridan, by the posts about more shifty areas on other parts of that road. East Lakeview sounds like a great place to search as well. My kind of neighborhood.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:06 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,201,157 times
N Sheridan starting at Berwyn all the way up to Loyola University (near Devon) is pretty much ok if you stay right on Sheridan. Both sides of the street are lined with highrise apt and condo buildings. My personal preference in this area is to be close to Bryn Mawr or Berwyn as those two Red Line stops tend to be a touch safer than Granville and Thorndale late at night. Folks who live in Andersonville typically walk east on Berwyn and use that Red Line stop. The strip of Bryn Mawr between the Red Line and Sheridan has been gentrified with Starbucks, nice restaurants, etc.

Some people feel a little unsafe on N Winthrop and N Kenmore around Thorndale and Granville. It is hit and miss on Winthrop and Kenmore and still a few bad buildings and pockets in this area.

I would avoid most of Sheridan between Montrose and Foster. This area is really varied in terms of safety. Around Lawrence and Wilson not so good.

There is a big, nice supermarket(Jewel) at Berwyn and Broadway (2 blocks from Sheridan) and a new Dominicks is being built at Sheridan and Foster (just south of Berwyn). Also a large supermarket at Thorndale and Broadway (Dominick's) and a brand new Aldi is at Granville and Broadway.

The strip of Andersonville on Clark St just north of Foster is really fun and full of shops and restaurants for several blocks and their are quiet courtyard apt buildings on the side streets (and you can use the Jewel on Clark 3 to 4 blocks north of Foster or the Jewel at Berwyn and Broadway).

Pretty much anywhere in E Lakeview is perfectly fine in my opinion. Problem will be finding something that works pricewise. Search craigslist and chicago reader online for apts. The main zipcode is 60657 and a tiny part of north lakeview (between Addison and Irving Park) is 60613. Note some parts of 60613 aren't so good if you get a bit further north. Hit and miss again. Changes by blocks. Sometimes helps to search by zip unless that has changed on the reader site.

Ask if you have other questions.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:46 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,648,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
...Pretty much anywhere in E Lakeview is perfectly fine in my opinion. Problem will be finding something that works pricewise. Search craigslist and chicago reader online for apts. The main zipcode is 60657 and a tiny part of north lakeview (between Addison and Irving Park) is 60613...
A tiny bit is in 60613? 60613 contains about a third of Lake View.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago