Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,466 times

Advertisements

Hi - new to this, but I will be relocating soon to your area. Looking at Oak Park and Berwyn, possibly Crown Point (because of where my job is located). My job will require me to be gone for periods of a week at a time and I may be coming and going at odd-ball times. When I am home I want to have a place I can enjoy and feel safe. I also want my car to be safe while it's parked and I'm home. I've been reading different things on line, but they all seem to be a couple of years old. How are things now? Any areas you can suggest? Relocating from Denver. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 08:46 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,729,074 times
Where is your job? Oak Park and Berwyn are geographically opposite Crown Point, IN. Oak Park is more upscale than Berwyn, but both are relatively safe, but also both are surrounded by not so nice suburbs (Cicero, Maywood, Hillside). Oak Park is enjoyable if you like artsy stuff, Berwyn is more blue collar. Both are relatively close to downtown via CTA and METRA.

As to Crown Point, posting to the NW Indiana forum will get you more responses.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:54 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,277,465 times
You didn't say where you job is. I am partial to Oak Park. If you like mature trees and intersting architecture and some diversity, you should like Oak Park. Where ever you live you whould make sure you have secure parking. This link has resources for almost everything The Oak Park Housing Center is non-profit and has virtual tours of they types of housing they cam pffer listed under Sample Apartments.
Oak Park Tourist - Touring, Living and Working in Oak Park, Illinois

Old 05-10-2010, 07:09 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,874,318 times
Avoid Oak Park Housing Authority as they are more concerned with diversity than safety.

When moving to Oak Park I met with them and they only showed me places in eastern oak park, very near austin in the worst parts of oak park. I ended up saying thanks but no thanks. I don't need to live in a part of oak park that mirrors Humboldt Park from where I used to live, a not so nice area.

Oak Park Housing Authority is interested in placing whites in black neighborhoods and yuppie blacks in white neighborhoods.

Linicx,

Why would you encourage someone to be a guinea pig like that? The original poster clearly indicated they wanted to be safe. Oak Park Housing Authority placing them in less safe, black part of eastern Oak Park would do them a major disservice.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:09 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,468,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Where is your job? Oak Park and Berwyn are geographically opposite Crown Point, IN. Oak Park is more upscale than Berwyn, but both are relatively safe, but also both are surrounded by not so nice suburbs (Cicero, Maywood, Hillside). Oak Park is enjoyable if you like artsy stuff, Berwyn is more blue collar. Both are relatively close to downtown via CTA and METRA.

As to Crown Point, posting to the NW Indiana forum will get you more responses.
I think "surrounded by not so nice suburbs" is overstating things just a bit. Maywood doesn't border either Oak Park or Berwyn and nor does Hillside. Cicero borders both but it's crime rate isn't such that there's a spillover issue. Oak Park's biggest issue is Austin to the east.

As Linicx is partial to Oak Park, I'm partial to Berwyn I'd recommend either in any case. Use the "search" feature and you'll find plenty of info on both communities.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:18 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,957,285 times
Wow, if your job is in Crown Point, you probably shouldn't be looking at Oak Park/Berwyn, unless you enjoy 3+ hours of driving every day.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:28 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Default More details would be helpful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Wow, if your job is in Crown Point, you probably shouldn't be looking at Oak Park/Berwyn, unless you enjoy 3+ hours of driving every day.
If the OP understands that the shear distance between work locations that might be near Crown Point IN & Oak Park is quite far AND the particular expressways that one would need to use to get between there and Oak Park / Berwynn are pretty much the most overcroweded in the region perhaps they would fill in the details as to what sort of compromises they are willing to make...

Old 07-02-2010, 09:35 AM

36 posts, read 121,015 times
"Diversity"

Berwyn has diversity, too...I prefer Berwyn because I grew up there, it's cheaper, and there isn't a hidden cost to living there like in Oak Park.

Oak Park is notorious for silly parking restrictions, expensive meters, and general lack of affordable shopping (besides the Jewel on Roosevelt and Pan's -which closes early).

However, Berywn and OP are not near Crown point......

Old 07-02-2010, 09:36 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
This thread should be in the Northwest Indiana forum or the Chicago Suburb forum.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,844 times
Whatever you or anybody decides to do, DO NOT move to Doubletree Lake Estates in Winfield, In. That place sucks! All the way from the condition of the roads in there to the way it is being ran by the management. NO PARKS, BEACH, NOTHING. Why advertise about a beautiful lake if the only way you can enjoy it is by boat. Buy else where people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago