Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2007, 09:21 AM

15 posts, read 73,264 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Oak Park in the near future. I work downtown at Michigan/Lake. Both the Green Line and the Blue Line would be pretty convenient.

My question is, how safe are they, especially at night when I may have to work late? (I take the Red Line now up to Thorndale, for what it's worth.)

Should I opt for the Metra and then take a connecting bus from Ogilvie?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 10:30 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,620,172 times
Both those lines are fine during day, a lot of people use them during the rush hour periods so I wouldn't worry about that.

Night would depend on you.

If you're a woman I'd consider taking the metra home on those late days. Conductors on the train so much safer. chances of something happening are pretty low but I know I wouldn't be excited to let my wife take the green (or blue) line home alone at 9 pm.

If you're a guy, I'd just do what I always do--mind my own business, be alert, don't make eye contact with the crazies, and you should be fine.

mdz

Old 06-12-2007, 07:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Take either the CTA train and bus, or the Metra train and walk -- one or the other. The problem you face with transfering from a Metra to a CTA bus is that the systems and fare structures are not merged, so you'd have to pay full fare for both. A CTA full-fare bus ride costs $1.75 whether you ride the bus for one block or for 40 miles. On the other hand, Green Line will take you right to State & Lake for a grand total of four bucks round-trip (or $3.15 round-trip if you use a Chicago Card) and you wouldn't need to take a transfer bus. But if you take the Metra and then hop a bus, you pay an extra $3.50 per day in transportation costs. That may not sound like much, but that would more than double the cost of using the Green Line alone, and assuming a standard 5-day work week, that adds up to nearly $70 a month.

Last edited by Drover; 06-12-2007 at 07:24 PM..

Old 06-13-2007, 08:56 AM

15 posts, read 73,264 times
The Metra used to offer a CTA link-up card for monthly users...do they no longer offer that?

Old 06-13-2007, 10:09 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,620,172 times
they do, but it's a bit confusing. Last I heard, you have to have a monthly metra pass, it's 36 bucks/month, but it's only good during rush hours (ie 6-9:30 am, 3:30-7pm).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: