Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 06:55 AM

258 posts, read 1,003,366 times

Advertisements

I'll be in Chicago July 2-July5 during the Taste of Chicago festival, and I need some input on things that I can do during that time... here is what I have planned so far with my friend:

Grant Park
Millinium Park
Take in free live music at the Taste of Chicago festival, sample food: especially Eli's Cheesecake, pizza, ribs.
Buckingham Fountain
Go see Chicago Theatre
Museum of Science and Industry
Navy Pier
Shedd Aquarium
Chicago River- take water taxi around
Art Institute of Chicago
Marina City
Reliance Building
Robie House
Second City
Magnificent Mile
Garfield Park Conservatory
Michigan Avenue Bridge
Oak Street Beach
Arcitectual boat tour- Chicago Arctictectual Foundation
Billy Goat Tavern
Harry Carey’s Restaurant
Monroe Harbor- skyline views
Old Town

Am I leaving a few things out? Trying to get as much in as possible in 3 days, out of this list I have to decide but if there are other options please let me know. Went to a Cubs game, Linkin Park Zoo, and the Field Musuem last summer so those are accomplished. Also which guide is better: Frommers Chicago 2010 or Foder's Chicago 2010, I figure they are about the same but any help would be appreciated. Also which is better, Hancock Observatory or Willis Skydeck? Plan on only doing one.

Last edited by chris0681; 04-30-2010 at 07:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 07:22 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
BTW, its Lincoln Park, as in the President, not the rock band. Go the the Willis/Sears Tower skydeck.

If you really want to see Frank Lloyd Wright architecture, consider a trip to Oak Park to see his home and studio, Unity Temple, and an assortment of other Wright homes.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:15 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
ANd Marina City is merely a housing development...

Old 04-30-2010, 02:49 PM

364 posts, read 1,568,334 times
Damn, that's a TON of stuff. You're not going to enjoy any of that if you try and do it all, as you're going to be rushed the whole time. Pick a few that you really want to check out, and if there's more time, add some others. Don't try and cram all that into 3 days though; that's nuts.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:17 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Not really sure that either the Billy Goat or Harry Carey's deserve to be on a list of anything.

If you're nearby, and you're hungry, then sure, hit 'em up.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:26 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,222,382 times
Go to the Signature Lounge at the top of the Hancock.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:27 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Linkin Park Zoo? lmao

Old 05-03-2010, 06:27 AM

Any more options? Id like to see the best things there are to do..

Old 05-03-2010, 11:33 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,512,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0681 View Post
I'll be in Chicago July 2-July5 during the Taste of Chicago festival, and I need some input on things that I can do during that time... here is what I have planned so far with my friend:

Grant Park
Millinium Park
Take in free live music at the Taste of Chicago festival, sample food: especially Eli's Cheesecake, pizza, ribs.
Buckingham Fountain
Monroe Harbor- skyline views
Go see Chicago Theatre
These things can be combined into a single afternoon/early evening. I know you have your sights set on the Taste, but I wouldn't spend much time there other than to just grab lunch.

Quote:
Museum of Science and Industry
Quote:
Robie House
That's half to a whole day right there. I enjoy the museum, but it's going to take up a large chunk of one of your 3 days. Robie house is less than a mile walk from there too.

Quote:
Navy Pier

I think I recall in another thread that you're in your late 20's, correct? Navy Pier is really geared towards children and families. However, if you're into views, you can get a good one from atop of the ferris wheel and presumably that new tethered hot air balloon thing, but apart from that, I wouldn't suggest visiting.

Quote:
Shedd Aquarium

My last visit was a little more than a year ago. Only purchased the basic admission, and it wasn't as good as I remembered from many years earlier

Quote:
Chicago River- take water taxi around
Marina City
Reliance Building
Quote:
Billy Goat Tavern
Harry Carey’s Restaurant
Magnificent Mile
Michigan Avenue Bridge
Oak Street Beach
Arcitectual boat tour- Chicago Arctictectual Foundation

These things as well could be combined into a single afternoon, quite quickly too

If your planning on taking the CAF boat tour, there's no need to take the water taxi unless it's convwenient and time-saving. Also, Marina City will be pointed out on the CAF tour, no need for a special trip - you'll probably see it a dozen times anyways

A mentioned above, there's nothing special really about the Billy Goat or Harry Carey's. If it's convenient to where you are for lunch and dinner, then sure... Do Oak St beach last, or visit it the same day you visit

Quote:
Second City
Quote:
Old Town

Old Town is across North Avc from Second City. Eat somehwere on Wells (or Adobo in the same building as SC before the show)

Quote:
Garfield Park Conservatory
Something to knock out early in the day, plan on traveling 30-35 minutes round trip.

Quote:
Quote:
Am I leaving a few things out? Trying to get as much in as possible in 3 days, out of this list I have to decide but if there are other options please let me know. Went to a Cubs game, Linkin Park Zoo, and the Field Musuem last summer so those are accomplished. Also which guide is better: Frommers Chicago 2010 or Foder's Chicago 2010, I figure they are about the same but any help would be appreciated. Also which is better, Hancock Observatory or Willis Skydeck? Plan on only doing one.
You have alot of stuff planned. Even grouping activities together for convenience, you still have too much. Dropping a few of the museums and/or conservatory will help, as well as not spending more time than neccessary at the Taste. Go to the Taste each day for lunch and/or dinner, and get out. Skip the Goat.

My favorite new vantage point for the skyline is atop the ramp that connects Millenium Park to the new Modern wing of the Art Institute. The view is of a much more limited portion of skyline, but you're much closer to it.

I think the view of the city is better from Hancock than Willis, but Willis is a bit taller of course and also has those new floating platfroms to look straight down from. I still prefer Hancock, and it's right next to Oak St.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:21 PM

Wow you are so much help, thanks alot!! You don't have any other ideas of things to do while im there do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago